• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Tonga - Canada (14-09-2011, 17:00)

Tonga played a smart game. Just stuck to playing keep away and using they're forwards to slowly make the gain line.

Only caught the last 30 minutes and I thought the forwards Lost the ball a few times isolating themselves by driving ahead without support.
Canada looked impressive! well done. i tipped tonga in our tipping comp :(

Last edited:
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Wow who would have guessed that Canada would pull this off they deserved the win giving the spectators that came to watch value for their money. Well done Canada.

I did ;)

I had a feeling that Canada would win since they have always been a tough opponent. They were very lucky though

Awesome!! Well done Canada, hope you guys scare, or even win France!

Fantastic result from Canada, especially considering how well Tonga had played in the second half against NZ.

Well done Canada, they certainly put on a good performance today. Smith and Van der Merwe def combined well in the midfield and their scrum suprisingly held up very well against the Tongans.
Finau Maka deciding to kick against the wind and play into the sun was def a head scratching decision which I believe was a critical error on his behalf. He also is playing out of form atm and seems to be a big liability as he is playing injured. Stupid call by whoever is responsible for still leaving Nili Latu out of the team even in case of injury as its his presence at the breakdown, his support play and most definatly his leadership is what Tonga are definatly missing right now. The backline def had the penetration but bad handling at critical times really cost them a number of opportunities today.
I will be the first to admit I was wrong as I on countless occasions posted on here that i believed Tonga would def win this game and would do so emphatically. Hats off Canada and well played !

I did ;)

I had a feeling that Canada would win since they have always been a tough opponent. They were very lucky though

I picked it too ... and even got the margin in the picking comps i'm in :D

... I disagree about Canada being very lucky though - I don't think they got the rub of the green with some of the refs calls, and i'm pleased that the foot trip, and the spear tackle that weren't picked up, did not effect the end result of the match ... we've had enough of that type of controversy already with the penalty kick not awarded in the South Africa V Wales game.

Great win Canada, great match Tonga ... makes me proud to be almost Canadian :D
Well done Canada, they certainly put on a good performance today. Smith and Van der Merwe def combined well in the midfield and their scrum suprisingly held up very well against the Tongans.
Finau Maka deciding to kick against the wind and play into the sun was def a head scratching decision which I believe was a critical error on his behalf. He also is playing out of form atm and seems to be a big liability as he is playing injured. Stupid call by whoever is responsible for still leaving Nili Latu out of the team even in case of injury as its his presence at the breakdown, his support play and most definatly his leadership is what Tonga are definatly missing right now. The backline def had the penetration but bad handling at critical times really cost them a number of opportunities today.
I will be the first to admit I was wrong as I on countless occasions posted on here that i believed Tonga would def win this game and would do so emphatically. Hats off Canada and well played !

Hats of to you AA, this match always could have gone either way, and your points on Tonga's chances and strengths were always well made, and I for one, appreciate you sharing your knowledge in an area that I don't know quite as much as id like to - i've kinda lost touch a bit with PI rugby.

... using 20/20 hindsight, i'm sure I.Maka would like to have played his B side against the ABs and started his strongest side in this match.

... Anyway, both sides still have Japan to play, and those should be winnable/close matches, and i'd like to see both teams take it to the french, but I think K.Crowley will have to name his second stringers as Canada has a short turn around between matches

I disagree that Canada was lucky. They looked dangerous with the ball and were more physical on defense. They created a lot of turnovers and recovered from the line breaks. If anything, the second Tongan try was luck. Just a rare misread in coverage, as well the pressure that Tonga had started off by that missed spear tackle call. It's a brain fart that Canada let a 13 switch beat them when they had numbers there. The ref was also atrocious, gave 2 very random scrum penalties with no valid explanation plus the missed trip and spear calls.
I also disagree with that Tonga didn't play well. Before the game, there were numerous posts saying Tonga would try to outmuscle Canada and that they would attack Monro and Smith with their centres. Both tries came from a missed overlap by Canada due to sustained forward pressure (20+ phases) and a switch in which coverage was missed (coincidently Monro had nothing to do with that error.) Tonga played keep away the entire game, rarely throwing it out the back line, denying Canada any possession. Exactly how Tonga wanted to win. Canada fought back and It was Canada who defended well and Tonga who missed tackles that lead to tries. DTH and Trainor both beat 6 Tongans on the set up to their tries.

That being said, looking at youtube videos of DTH, that guy will be a star. World class player. I thought he was just an import but he moved to Saskatchewan when he was 12-13. Curious if he has a Canadian or a South African accent?

I think Canada goes for it against France. We can be more physical than them and we look like we can both defend the open play and counterattack. France had real issues with Japan's ability to defend open play and counterattack, Canada's appears to be better defensively. As well, Italy did beat France this year. If there ever was a chance to take them down, this is it. We didn't come to the land of tomorrow to play our B side, and I think that they're will be a lot of interest in the game in Canada. It will do wonders for Canadian rugby if a lot of Canadians get to see Canada take it to the french.
What does Canada have to lose? We finished last in our pool in the previous world cup and still made it back.
As I said before, we have 16 of our 30 players that were 25 or under at the beginning of this year. A lot of these guys will be back in future World Cups.

Last edited:
Congrats to Canada, it really was a great match.

The confidence will be up for the France game, and I can see that the posters confidence is up as well. Citing the Italy game and then the game against Japan as examples of Canada's chances. Conveniently forgetting the games France won in that same time period.

However I think this game will be a lot different, as France can be a more creative opponent for Canada, and has more depth on the bench. I do believe the emotion will carry Canada in the first half and if France falls asleep we could be in trouble. The short down time between matches will not do Canada any favors, and although posters here feel that Canada will be more physical than France, I do not see them being strong enough in set play. Everyone on the French side has experience playing with or against the likes of Cudmore and will not get rattled.

However having said all the above, and France being France, I am sure the match will be entertaining!

Only thing on the rugby canada website says that he left with an ankle complaint. No news on the severity but he was able to walk off which seems good.

Apparently he got the ankle x-rayed and it came back negative. He hopes to be ready for the game against France.

He said on twitter that he had an xray and it's fine, and he should be back for France

Edit: Didn't see CDN Rugby's post :)

Congrats to Canada, it really was a great match.

The confidence will be up for the France game, and I can see that the posters confidence is up as well. Citing the Italy game and then the game against Japan as examples of Canada's chances. Conveniently forgetting the games France won in that same time period.

However I think this game will be a lot different, as France can be a more creative opponent for Canada, and has more depth on the bench. I do believe the emotion will carry Canada in the first half and if France falls asleep we could be in trouble. The short down time between matches will not do Canada any favors, and although posters here feel that Canada will be more physical than France, I do not see them being strong enough in set play. Everyone on the French side has experience playing with or against the likes of Cudmore and will not get rattled.

However having said all the above, and France being France, I am sure the match will be entertaining!

Absolutely agree with everything you said.
I'm citing those performances as France is the Jekyll and Hyde team of rugby. Some days they look like the best in the world, others they lose to Italy. I expect France to win and dominate the open play, scrums and lineouts. Especially the lineouts. That doesn't mean i'm not hoping for an upset and that I don't want Canada go for it. If there was to be an upset for Canada against France, then sunday could be it. Heck, even keeping the score close like we used too would be great. I still expect France to outclass Canada.
I disagree on the physical aspect though. While France may not get rattled, being physical is always an asset and Canada is a more physical team. No matter who it is, if they know they are going to get hit, then they are more likely to make a mistake. You could say Ireland faces tough opposition all the time but I assure vs USA there were a few rattled and frustrated Irishmen.

Good game - really enjoyed it (despite that fact I was supporting Tonga). The Canadian's physical defence really impressed me, as well as their beards. Do all men in Canada possess the ability to grow such majestic beards? If so, I hope all Canadian members of this forum are currently sporting similar beards....

Anyways.... The Canadian loose-forward trio was incredibly impressive - none of them looked that big, but that didn't seem to stop them brushing tackles side, and making huge hits themselves (as well as completely dominating the breakdown). Hopefully the injury to O'Toole is not that serious, as that loose-trio would be a good test for both the France and AB's loosies. van der Merwe in the centres was incredibly impressive - he just seemed to shrug of Tongan's at will. I thought the blond wing did (McKenzie?) played pretty well too; he did struggle to contain Vainikolo on defence, but he did some great work at the breakdown securing a couple of turnovers, linked well a couple of times, and took his try well.

Can't say I was overly impressed with many of the Tongan forwards. Taumololo looked good with the ball in hand (as he always does), and Taukafa looked ok around the field, but his lineout throwing was pretty poor - I felt he got away with 3-4 throws that weren't even remotely straight in the first half. I thought both locks took the ball into contact far too upright, which really played into Canada's hands. I wasn't impressed with any of the loosies; it looked like Vahafolau and Maka were past their best.

There were some better performances in the backs. Palu looked quite dangerous at halfback, and the midfield duo looked threatening. Fatefehi looked quite comfortable in the centres - he always played in the outside backs when he was with Otago (and was hopeless), but he seemed to put his bulk to pretty good effect at times. Vainikolo played as he always does; he breaks tackles at will, then loses the ball.

Last edited:
I disagree that Canada was lucky. They looked dangerous with the ball and were more physical on defense. They created a lot of turnovers and recovered from the line breaks. If anything, the second Tongan try was luck. Just a rare misread in coverage, as well the pressure that Tonga had started off by that missed spear tackle call. It's a brain fart that Canada let a 13 switch beat them when they had numbers there. The ref was also atrocious, gave 2 very random scrum penalties with no valid explanation plus the missed trip and spear calls.
I also disagree with that Tonga didn't play well. Before the game, there were numerous posts saying Tonga would try to outmuscle Canada and that they would attack Monro and Smith with their centres. Both tries came from a missed overlap by Canada due to sustained forward pressure (20+ phases) and a switch in which coverage was missed (coincidently Monro had nothing to do with that error.) Tonga played keep away the entire game, rarely throwing it out the back line, denying Canada any possession. Exactly how Tonga wanted to win. Canada fought back and It was Canada who defended well and Tonga who missed tackles that lead to tries. DTH and Trainor both beat 6 Tongans on the set up to their tries.

That being said, looking at youtube videos of DTH, that guy will be a star. World class player. I thought he was just an import but he moved to Saskatchewan when he was 12-13. Curious if he has a Canadian or a South African accent?

I think Canada goes for it against France. We can be more physical than them and we look like we can both defend the open play and counterattack. France had real issues with Japan's ability to defend open play and counterattack, Canada's appears to be better defensively. As well, Italy did beat France this year. If there ever was a chance to take them down, this is it. We didn't come to the land of tomorrow to play our B side, and I think that they're will be a lot of interest in the game in Canada. It will do wonders for Canadian rugby if a lot of Canadians get to see Canada take it to the french.
What does Canada have to lose? We finished last in our pool in the previous world cup and still made it back.
As I said before, we have 16 of our 30 players that were 25 or under at the beginning of this year. A lot of these guys will be back in future World Cups.

No accent on DTH he is a real Canadian!! :)

Latest posts