1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Jean Kleyn
6. CJ Stander
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jack Conan

The 42's expected team with Conan's spot depending if he makes it through training today. Obviously a pretty strong team overall, would put a lot of pressure on Best and Ryan in terms of the lineout. Think Stander and Conan should complement each other well. Would presume Ruddock has to be on the bench anyway given how little time he's gotten. Centres isn't particularly exciting but given how a lot of players have trimmed down it might be more like when the first played together. Stockdale playing strikes me as odd, particularly when he was taken off so early last week.

Thornley's team

IRELAND (possible XV v Wales, Saturday, Aviva Stadium, 2pm): R Kearney; K Earls, B Aki, R Henshaw, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; J Ryan, I Henderson; J Conan, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Decent Welsh team... needs more Rob Evans though!

Surprised by AWJ and Fox's inclusions.

I also thought Carre would be getting gametime alongside a few others who are short on match fitness like Amos, Cubby & Shingler.

I do like the look of the side though. Arguably our best halfback pairing if both play to their ability.

Very strong bench as well.

https://www.irishrugby.ie

Ireland team line up for the anthems Rory Best Peter O'Mahony, Rob Kearney Tadhg Furlong Jean Kleyn CJ Stander Bundee Aki and Jordan Larmour Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

Ireland captain Rory Best will win his 120th cap on his last appearance in the Aviva Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The game also marks the final match for Joe Schmidt on Irish soil.

Best, who will retire after the Rugby World Cup, leads a much changed Ireland team against Wales in the final Guinness Series test match of the summer.

Cian Healy and Tadhg Furlong join the Ireland captain in the front row with James Ryan and Jean Kleyn packing down in the second row.

Jack Conan starts at No. 8 with CJ Stander coming into the backrow at 6 and Josh van der Flier named at 7.

Jonathan Sexton makes his seasonal debut and is joined in the half backs by Conor Murray. Bundee Aki starts at 12 with Robbie Henshaw coming in at 13.

Keith Earls is also back, on the left wing with Jordan Larmour on the right and Rob Kearney at fullback.

Sean Cronin is in line to win his 70th cap as he is named in the replacements. He is joined by Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Iain Henderson and Rhys Ruddock as the forward cover. Luke McGrath, Jack Carty and Garry Ringrose are the replacement backs.

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Wales, Guinness Series 2019, Aviva Stadium, Saturday, September 7, 2pm)
Player/Club/Province/Caps

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 91 caps
14. Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster) 15 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 37 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 19 caps
11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 77 caps
10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 83 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 73 caps

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 90 caps
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 119 caps CAPTAIN
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 35 caps
4. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
5. Jean Kleyn (Munster) 2 caps
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 32 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
8. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 15 caps

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 69 caps
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 30 caps
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 17 caps
19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 47 caps
20. Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 22
21. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 13 caps
22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
23. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 23 caps

https://www.irishrugby.ie

Ireland team line up for the anthems Rory Best Peter O'Mahony, Rob Kearney Tadhg Furlong Jean Kleyn CJ Stander Bundee Aki and Jordan Larmour Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

Ireland captain Rory Best will win his 120th cap on his last appearance in the Aviva Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The game also marks the final match for Joe Schmidt on Irish soil.

Best, who will retire after the Rugby World Cup, leads a much changed Ireland team against Wales in the final Guinness Series test match of the summer.

Cian Healy and Tadhg Furlong join the Ireland captain in the front row with James Ryan and Jean Kleyn packing down in the second row.

Jack Conan starts at No. 8 with CJ Stander coming into the backrow at 6 and Josh van der Flier named at 7.

Jonathan Sexton makes his seasonal debut and is joined in the half backs by Conor Murray. Bundee Aki starts at 12 with Robbie Henshaw coming in at 13.

Keith Earls is also back, on the left wing with Jordan Larmour on the right and Rob Kearney at fullback.

Sean Cronin is in line to win his 70th cap as he is named in the replacements. He is joined by Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Iain Henderson and Rhys Ruddock as the forward cover. Luke McGrath, Jack Carty and Garry Ringrose are the replacement backs.

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Wales, Guinness Series 2019, Aviva Stadium, Saturday, September 7, 2pm)
Player/Club/Province/Caps

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 91 caps
14. Jordan Larmour (St Mary's College/Leinster) 15 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 37 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 19 caps
11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 77 caps
10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 83 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 73 caps

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 90 caps
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 119 caps CAPTAIN
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 35 caps
4. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
5. Jean Kleyn (Munster) 2 caps
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 32 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
8. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 15 caps

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St Mary's College/Leinster) 69 caps
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 30 caps
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 17 caps
19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 47 caps
20. Rhys Ruddock (St Mary's College/Leinster) 22
21. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 13 caps
22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
23. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 23 caps

Looking forward to see that pack, probably the most balanced we have(on paper) now that Leavy's out.

Actually how's Conan and VDF at lineout?

Many say CJ best spot is 6. This possibly could be the starting backrow. Will be a good physical test which is needed

Looking forward to see that pack, probably the most balanced we have(on paper) now that Leavy's out.

Actually how's Conan and VDF at lineout?

Conan's pretty good he's 6'4", has a decent spring and good hands. VDF an option but not an amazing one, you'd probably want him where its relatively uncontested.

Can't say I'm convinced by that sun front row's scrummaging but we'll see how they go.

If Henshaw starting at 13 ahead of Ringrose is being seriously considered I am genuinely going to stage a protest.

Like the look of that backrow, but that pack isn't exactly going to help Best in a game where he's under a lot of pressure. Love James Ryan but not sold on him calling the lineout, he's never really.done it at club level being asked to call a lineout that's heavily under scrutiny in the media is setting him (and Best) up for trouble.

Stander and Conan together is really something I want to see though and I'm excited for it. If they click and start together in the world cup along with Henderson and Ryan in the second row as well as Healy/Furlkng up front we'll be very hard to stop.

With no Beard or Shingler in the starting line up, I don't think Wales will trouble Ireland's lineout too much but it is Best throwing so you never know.... :p
Contrast in backrow's though, Ireland with the power of Stander and Conan, Wales' should be a lot more dynamic round the field. I just hope Williams and Patchell can get the Welsh back line going as it hasn't really so far.

Stander and Conan together is really something I want to see though and I'm excited for it. If they click and start together in the world cup along with Henderson and Ryan in the second row as well as Healy/Furlkng up front we'll be very hard to stop.

Can't see us carrying too effectively against Wales. They'll do what they always do to us.. the chop tackle.

Interesting side again. Yeah the team doesn't scream rock steady lineout, but Best simply has to hit his throws at this level. On Ryan, this is not the place to learn but he will probably need to learn to run a lineout when he likely captains us. If I'm not mistaken he's done it a bit at Leinster along with Fardy when Toners being out. He's phenomenal at everything else, I have no doubt he's able for it.

What do people think about the idea that Ringrose might no longer be first choice? I've heard people suggesting that between the talk of his versatility (at wing, center and apparently outhalf), and recent less than stellar performances, he might be considered a bench option?

Personally I would hope that's not the case, I think our midfield tends to look a little blunt without Ringrose. I think he adds a more creative element with his passing as well.

What do people think about the idea that Ringrose might no longer be first choice? I've heard people suggesting that between the talk of his versatility (at wing, center and apparently outhalf), and recent less than stellar performances, he might be considered a bench option?

Personally I would hope that's not the case, I think our midfield tends to look a little blunt without Ringrose. I think he adds a more creative element with his passing as well.
Unless Henshaw and Aki are playing like they did back in Connacht then I don't want them starting and even then I'm not sure. Ringrose was the best 13 in the world last year and if he can find anything resembling that form he should be a shoo in.

I hope it's not the case but I wouldn't be entirely surprised. We haven't had all three fit at the same time too much to be able to say one way or the other what Schmidt's preference is.

Unless Henshaw and Aki are playing like they did back in Connacht then I don't want them starting and even then I'm not sure. Ringrose was the best 13 in the world last year and if he can find anything resembling that form he should be a shoo in.
I agree, and I was quite surprised to see people suggesting it to be honest.

He's not actually versatile though. He plays 13, and very well, and also in a style that suggests he wouldn't be nearly as good in a different position. There's talk about him playing fullback, him playing on the wing, and him playing 10, but he he hasn't actually played any of these positions, and when he did for 25 minutes in Cardiff on the wing he was unsurprising terrible.

He's our best 13 by a very very long distance, and he'd be a terrible bench option, this is all a really bad idea for me.

He's not actually versatile though. He plays 13, and very well, and also in a style that suggests he wouldn't be nearly as good in a different position. There's talk about him playing fullback, him playing on the wing, and him playing 10, but he he hasn't actually played any of these positions, and when he did for 25 minutes in Cardiff on the wing he was unsurprising terrible.

He's our best 13 by a very very long distance, and he'd be a terrible bench option, this is all a really bad idea for me.
I do think he could do a job on the wing, played there a bit in his first season for Leinster. He definitely had an offday in Cardiff playing there, but still nabbed a poachers try (which was correctly disallowed). Otherwise agree with everything you are saying tbh.

I do think he could do a job on the wing, played there a bit in his first season for Leinster. He definitely had an offday in Cardiff playing there, but still nabbed a poachers try (which was correctly disallowed). Otherwise agree with everything you are saying tbh.
I'm pretty sure he played there for Leinster a bit in his first season because it was (mistakenly) assumed that it'd be easier to introduce him to professional rugby there than throwing him straight in at 13, before people realised pretty quickly that there was no need. He could probably do a job as in-game injury cover but going into a game with him playing there being a serious possibility would be a bad idea. He's been a 13 more or less all the way up, I'd say over 95% of his rugby has been played there, moving from there unless absolutely necessary is leaving us much worse off both at 13 and whatever position he's being shoehorned into.

Latest posts