• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC19 Warm-Up] - Ireland vs. Wales

oDhQGJ5.jpg

So Ireland rank 2? Do any site post provisional rankings?

Seeing some post match comments that Conan went missing. Completely disagree with this, thought the addition of his carrying to the backrow was a huge reason we were getting so much go forward. Also thought he put in some dominant defensive hits. Some people just seem to dislike him as a player.

Anyone else hear the ref shout advantage? Maybe I'm deaf but I wasn't sure what was was happening with this official?

Seeing some post match comments that Conan went missing. Completely disagree with this, thought the addition of his carrying to the backrow was a huge reason we were getting so much go forward. Also thought he put in some dominant defensive hits. Some people just seem to dislike him as a player.

Tends to happen to players who are in direct competition with a fan favourite or if you're known for one thing at club level which you don't do/get asked to do at international level.

Tends to happen to players who are in direct competition with a fan favourite or if you're known for one thing at club level which you don't do/get asked to do at international level.
Fair enough, just can't believe anyone wasn't convinced by that backrow. I thought it worked incredibly well together.

Conan wasn't eye catching but did everything that was asked of him (I'm guessing he's not exactly a Vunipola level carrier, so no barn storming runs isn't a negative) - remember one ruck early on that he grabbed Wainwright and dragged him back several yards. I was impressed, seemed to be getting through a lot of work.

Biggest take away from Conan at 8 is how much better Stander looked at 6,
Presumably doesn't mean much going forward as POM is nailed on for a spot in the backrow and VdF is the better 7(?) so it's Conan vs Stander for the 8 shirt

Conan wasn't eye catching but did everything that was asked of him (I'm guessing he's not exactly a Vunipola level carrier, so no barn storming runs isn't a negative) - remember one ruck early on that he grabbed Wainwright and dragged him back several yards. I was impressed, seemed to be getting through a lot of work.

Presumably doesn't mean much going forward as POM is nailed on for a spot in the backrow and VdF is the better 7(?) so it's Conan vs Stander for the 8 shirt
O'Mahony is not nailed on for me. He just doesn't offer enough outside the lineout. He has had some great games for Ireland, but without a superman like Leavy or Sean O'Brien at 7 we don't have enough ball-carriers for our gameplan imo.

Didn't see the game, watching it now but happy with that result. Sounds like a pretty solid rounded win to lead us into the World Cup as the world's premier rugby playing number one undisputed heavyweight champions.
Sexton and Murray looking on song in his comically large shoulder pads so far 30 minutes in. Lol @ Dan Biggar telling the ref he didn't score.

Decent game.

I feel the welsh will struggle in the coming World Cup. Other than the interception, Wales never looked like troubling the score line.

Obviously they defended well, but that won't win the World Cup in my opinion. May even lose to Aus?

Ireland looked tenacious, defended well but some of their play was predictable and lacked invention.

Honestly not far off Vunipola level carrying for Leineter at times the last few years, he's an absolute machine when he gets going. Was probably the best player in the Leinster pack excluding Ryan. Wouldn't expect him to carry that over straight to international level but his work rate on both sides of the ball is still excellent. Having him in to take some of the carrying slack is a massive help for Stander though. Joe has dropped POM in the past, I'd day he's willing to do it again especially given that the pack managed to function without him today, which it often hasn't in the past. Equally I think against a team like England/SA we could see Josh dropping out, although I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. I think right now the backrownwe had today is my favourite, but any combination of those four has strong arguments in it's favour.

Very disappointing game from Wales. No imagination in the backs, forwards bullied all over the place and hardly any Warren ball. Very worrying times.

Wales have been poor in these warm-ups. My confidence for the WC has been seriously eroded, hopefully the players don't feel the same!

I can't think of any player that's really come out in credit. There appears to be a lack of physicality up front, and a lack of cutting edge behind. There's also some troubling issues emerging in the scrum and in defense (JD2 is getting caught out left right and centre).

I was expecting a slow start v England, but I was honestly expecting us to be showing signs that were ramping things up v Ireland ready for the WC. The losses don't overly concern me, but the error strewn, toothless displays we've put in certainly do.

With a strong team out Georgia shouldn't be an issue, but at this rate we'll be going into the Aus game way off the pace, and that's worrying because they'll expose us if we are.

What really stood out for me from an Ireland pov is this is the first time I've seen everyone in the 23 with the right attitude since probably the All Blacks game. Everyone was up for the fight yesterday, even Larmour, when the Welsh boys tried anything we gave it straight back. Teams were bullying us last year and we were just taking it without reaction which was really weird for a team full of paddys.

I don't know if it was coached out of them or a hangover from last year's success but hopefully we can keep that mindset and it wasnt just a once-off to give Joe and Rory a proper farewell.

These are games that have alot held back though too. I'm sure whatever Schmidt and co have planned at least 50-60% was not even attempted over the last few weeks

These are games that have alot held back though too. I'm sure whatever Schmidt and co have planned at least 50-60% was not even attempted over the last few weeks

When have Ireland ever revealed anything from this supposed Schmidt secret play book?

Latest posts