• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

Wait, VC is banned? That's almost a shame. Any idea what the final straw was?
Looking at the bans log I think the final straw was misogynistic language?? Must have been pretty bad

He'd had multiple small bans before that so it must have been the straw that broke the camels back

Oh highlights...don't mind if I do. (Let's ignore the fact that Eddie Butler is commentating and they are too short to encapsulate England's true glory. Hell Curry barely features.)

Expected this but not such a big scoreline..
Feeling sad for the Ausie players, but not for Cheika, he is a chop

Well that brings us to an epic semi final encounter next Saturday
England need to go another level up to be real contenders

I think I missed that because ignored the guy after two posts...disappointed now.
Gotta feeling we're talking about different Scots, will have a look and see if I can find it when I get up properly... rather than just for a p*** ;).

Last edited:
Loving the insights here, but there are a few themes I'm not sure hold up to analytical scrutiny.

I don't think you can really say that England did well on defence because of "how low the possession stats were", or similarly "the number of tackles they made". For tackles, if the whole team made a lot of tackles doesn't mean they defended well, they could also have missed a lot of tackles. They didn't , but number of successful tackles isn't a very relevant stat. On possession, Australia had a lot of possession inside their own 22, so it wasn't as if they were in scoring positions when they had the ball. What's more it is easier to defend a team in their 22 because their options are more limited given the risk of taking a deep option then getting tackled in their own goal, or the risk of the posts getting in the way....

...which brings me to something else...

Yes the Australian tactics were dumb, but I can see what they were trying, but failing, to do. They wanted to make some in roads and then go wide for a midfielder to make a kick once the winger was in indecision about fielding a kick or defending in the line, allowing them to kick longer without the risk of a quick throw in and counter attack. It didn't work, as England's defence was too good and that one time may shut down both the wide space and the kick space.

England's defensive tactics were pretty good and pretty dynamic.

At the start of the game I couldn't work out why england were allowing Australia such quick ruck ball. And actually they did get it a bit wrong But I saw as the game progressed they became very good at choosing when to let Australia have quick ball, at which point they'd catch them behind the gain line in the next phase, or contest the ruck when their defence wasn't in a great position.

also, England getting knocked out in pool play in the last World Cup wasn't some big upset, it can hardly be compared to Ireland not making it passed the quarterfinals this time around. Personally I had expected England not to make it out of the pool and actually was really impressed with how well they did given the young team they had. Eddie has done well but there was no reason to kick out Farrell. I thought at the time that, given how young the team was and how well they performed, they would be exceptional at the 2019 World Cup.

Last edited:
Loving the insights here, but there are a few themes I'm not sure hold up to analytical scrutiny.

I don't think you can really say that England did well on defence because of "how low the possession stats were", or similarly "the number of tackles they made". For tackles, if the whole team made a lot of tackles doesn't mean they defended well, they could also have missed a lot of tackles. They didn't , but number of successful tackles isn't a very relevant stat. On possession, Australia had a lot of possession inside their own 22, so it wasn't as if they were in scoring positions when they had the ball. What's more it is easier to defend a team in their 22 because their options are more limited given the risk of taking a deep option then getting tackled in their own goal, or the risk of the posts getting in the way....

...which brings me to something else...

Yes the Australian tactics were dumb, but I can see what they were trying, but failing, to do. They wanted to make some in roads and then go wide for a midfielder to make a kick once the winger was in indecision about fielding a kick or defending in the line, allowing them to kick longer without the risk of a quick throw in and counter attack. It didn't work, as England's defence was too good and that one time may shut down both the wide space and the kick space.

England's defensive tactics were pretty good and pretty dynamic.

At the start of the game I couldn't work out why england were allowing Australia such quick ruck ball. And actually they did get it a bit wrong But I saw as the game progressed they became very good at choosing when to let Australia have quick ball, at which point they'd catch them behind the gain line in the next phase, or contest the ruck when their defence wasn't in a great position.

Aussies were counter attacking everywhere, even from their own 22.

Kind of their own downfall by just playing all attacking rugby without tactical/technical structure.

Is Valley Commando the same one who talks nonsense on BBC HYS articles?
It could well be him but the moniker/term valley commando is 'fairly' common in South Wales. It started with a group of Cardiff City (football) supporters who lived in the various valleys.

Looking at the bans log I think the final straw was misogynistic language?? Must have been pretty bad
I think I may have reported it for him it....can't remember what he said but it certainly was in the middle of a pretty huge tirade.

Could see Cheika rocking up at Scotland if Townsend left at some point, he'd be a good fit with the backs they have..

Arr.. the Internet where you can literally threaten to KO anyone all from the comfort of your armchair...

Found a picture of him when in heated discussion with the English

ban_fatherted.jpg

Latest posts