• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Oita Stadium
Time: 09:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Early kick off for this QF of 8.15am BST on Saturday. So better get that breakfast on in time.:)

Hopefully full strength England 23 for this one. Any update on Binny's ankle?

Nothing to do with our week off, but I'm a bit worried by this one. I mean logically I'd back us to to win it 7 times out of 10 but the Aussie backs are always dangerous and their pack's got more backbone than it had. They're more than capable of raising their game, especially at the sight of a white shirt.

Total banana skin and if we lose Project Jones has failed. But I expect us to win by 10.

England should win on paper. Just like Aus should've won on paper in 2007.

I'm at a wedding in the afternoon, so this is the only game where I'm quite glad of the early kick offs BST.

Nervous, we should win, but Australia can win. Gonna be a long week build up

It's been so long I need reminders - who are our injury worries?
Nobody of note I think.

On paper this is a perfect game for us if we want to show real aspirations. Unlike Argentina or France if the game was held Australia will show real intent but on paper we should still be beating them. Any form of win put us in good stead against Ireland who we've turned over twice this year ready for the final.

#allnhsf
#arrogance

It's a question of does the RNG that is the Aus back line selection fall well or bad for them? England are favourites and quite rightly so, but if Aus back's do click then I can see it being a close game.

Wilson, Binny, Marler and Nowell didn't train fully last week, I believe.

Really looking forward to this one, as I am all Quarter Finals. There seems to be history and sub-plots between each of the teams drawn. Obviously England absolutely smashed the Aussies last Autumn and I'd argue have only improved since that win. The Aussies on the other hand have beaten a 14 man New Zealand and... that's about it. They are a different beast at World Cups though.

I'd probably make England 65/45 favourites but I have a nagging feeling that Oz are going to bring a massive performance in this one. It 'probably' still won't be enough though, England by 8.

I am risking the mockers I know but the fact that we have contained Australia's backs for 6 matches in a row (even when they included Folau, who was pretty uniformly the most dangerous) means I'll be confident of stopping them.

I think England win this about 75% of the time. Which means the other 25% is all I will be able to think about near kickoff.

I am going to be working all day Saturday and will need to find a way to not think about it for 8 hours. It'll be torture.

I am risking the mockers I know but the fact that we have contained Australia's backs for 6 matches in a row (even when they included Folau, who was pretty uniformly the most dangerous) means I'll be confident of stopping them.

I think England win this about 75% of the time. Which means the other 25% is all I will be able to think about near kickoff.
Agree with you, I think this is the most clear cut semi, the only one I don't think there's a chance of an upset.

I will go for England to win this one, if nothing else than Cheika has come into this RWC without really knowing his best half back combination. Especially his 10.

I will go for England to win this one, if nothing else than Cheika has come into this RWC without really knowing his best half back combination. Especially his 10.

Cheika also didn't know who his best half back pairing was in 2015 (because he was only appointed as coach a month before the tournament started). Australia have a tendency to rise to the occassion for world cups when the chips are down...

Cheika also didn't know who his best half back pairing was in 2015 (because he was only appointed as coach a month before the tournament started). Australia have a tendency to rise to the occassion for world cups when the chips are down...

well this time he's had 4 years to figure it out, but this time the 10 he wants to play is woefully out of form. Will be interesting to see if L'ealiifano gets a recall or he goes with To'omua to start.

Of course this is knockout rugby and all teams will raise their intensity for the match. But just going with what I have seen of them this World Cup and last 4 years. I just think this time England mentally come into this match a little stronger and settled when it comes to selection than Australia. We had the confusion 4 years ago with no true number 7 and also the muddle in midfield with Burgess. I think the shoe is on the other foot this time with Australia - back row? Pocock post injury has not been the same player at the breakdown this World Cup, and at 9 and 10.

Last edited:
And if you want precedents there's always Squeaky's late DG to win the 95 QF where we went on to be destroyed by Lomu and 14 other blokes in the semi. Just as well we'll be playing Ireland this time.

Neither did England we also didn't who our 12 or 14 was either. England 2015 were a ******* mess and it still makes me angry.

I'm in Singapore at the moment but Instill remember how delegated I was in Greece 4 years ago (tournament coin idea with my anniversary/birthday).

Latest posts