• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] New Zealand vs Uruguay (05/10/2023)

Asking the Kiwis on this forum, are these tonkings of lesser teams an adequate preparation for what is likely to be a ***anic battle with SA/Ire/Sco in the quarterfinals? These are teams that are on "knockout mode" already!

Asking the Kiwis on this forum, are these tonkings of lesser teams an adequate preparation for what is likely to be a ***anic battle with SA/Ire/Sco in the quarterfinals? These are teams that are on "knockout mode" already!
personally i dont think there is a one fits all preparation for knockout footy

We've had injuries, not loads but enough to cause some issues, so having games to get some miles in the legs is good, i think if we hadn't just come out of the RC and warm up game against SA then it might be more of an issue

in saying that im still not convinced we have the goods to go all the way, this team has not shown the ability to win a 9 - 6 slugfest

Not at all. But hopefully ireland will get loads of injuries against scotland.

In the five weeks between france and the qf it would have been good to have Actual game time practicing executing against top opposition

It also depends a bit on their memories of france and South Africa and to what extent they've fooled themselves that they have gotten way better since then.

Not at all. But hopefully ireland will get loads of injuries against scotland.

In the five weeks between france and the qf it would have been good to have Actual game time practicing executing against top opposition

It also depends a bit on their memories of france and South Africa and to what extent they've fooled themselves that they have gotten way better since then.
wow.....not sure we "hope" for that kind of thing....as far as i'll go is hoping Scotland wear them out

agreed would have been good to have another tough game for the top team to run out against, i think we're past hoping to have a battle hardened squad that can handle whatever comes up...and hoping we will have fresh legs

wow.....not sure we "hope" for that kind of thing....as far as i'll go is hoping Scotland wear them out

agreed would have been good to have another tough game for the top team to run out against, i think we're past hoping to have a battle hardened squad that can handle whatever comes up...and hoping we will have fresh legs
I mean come on, what's a little ****ly injury between friends? Haha.

bruised shoulders perhaps? Make their tackling less effective?

Chaffing? So they're distracted?

For this game I will be watching the following;

no cards
less than 3 penalties in each half
penalty kicks finding touch
set pieces to remain tight
good kicking in general play

our style is already set, so hoping for some innovative back moves from set play is not going to happen, although we did use a grid-iron style back flick from Jordie & co. three times in the Italy game. Worked only for attempt #3. We appear to have a simple attacking plan here which worries me as the big teams won't give us much to work with and i'd be way more comfortable if we had our own attacking structure to run from phase play rather than live off mistakes or errors.

All Blacks (caps in brackets):

1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (56) 2. Codie Taylor (81) 3. Tyrel Lomax (28) 4. Samuel Whitelock (149) 5. Tupou Vaa'i (24) 6. Shannon Frizell (29) 7. Sam Cane (91) 8. Luke Jacobson (17) 9. Cam Roigard (4) 10. Richie Mo'unga (52) 11. Leicester Fainga'anuku (5) 12. Jordie Barrett (53) 13. Anton Lienert-Brown (66) 14. Will Jordan (27) 15. Damian McKenzie (44)

Reserves: 16. Samisoni Taukei'aho (27) 17. Tamaiti Williams (4) 18. Fletcher Newell (10) 19. Scott Barrett (65) 20. Ethan Blackadder (9) 21. Finlay Christie (18) 22. Beauden Barrett (119) 23. Caleb Clarke (19)

Frizell getting another run at 6 to get him ready for QF, Lomax needs to be fit to be considered for the bench in the QF..Otherwise, not the strongest line-up we could have rolled out.

Vengeance is all the motivation the ABs need against Ireland having lost to them twice at home last year. Knock-out rugby generates tremendous additional pressure: I'm betting the winner of the ABs-Ireland QF will win the RWC.

Ouchie score might be coming. Uru might stand for 40mins but after that it's flood gates time.

All Blacks (caps in brackets):

1. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (56) 2. Codie Taylor (81) 3. Tyrel Lomax (28) 4. Samuel Whitelock (149) 5. Tupou Vaa'i (24) 6. Shannon Frizell (29) 7. Sam Cane (91) 8. Luke Jacobson (17) 9. Cam Roigard (4) 10. Richie Mo'unga (52) 11. Leicester Fainga'anuku (5) 12. Jordie Barrett (53) 13. Anton Lienert-Brown (66) 14. Will Jordan (27) 15. Damian McKenzie (44)

Reserves: 16. Samisoni Taukei'aho (27) 17. Tamaiti Williams (4) 18. Fletcher Newell (10) 19. Scott Barrett (65) 20. Ethan Blackadder (9) 21. Finlay Christie (18) 22. Beauden Barrett (119) 23. Caleb Clarke (19)

Frizell getting another run at 6 to get him ready for QF, Lomax needs to be fit to be considered for the bench in the QF..Otherwise, not the strongest line-up we could have rolled out.
If Lomax is fit wont he be starting in the quarter finals? He has been the allblacks starting tighthead for the last 2 years.

Latest posts