• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

I didnt say anyone had to like him, but the claims made were embarrassingly ludicrous.

21 lions was a shambles
2019 GS champs and ranked number 1 in the world teams only gameplan was to 'kick high and see what happened'
Wales v SA was the dullest semi final in history.

Lol

Dislike Gats all you like, and I get it he is decisive sometimes, but dont embarrass yourself by making claims against literally the most successful NH coach of all time!
No World Cup though. Although talking of no one liking coaches. Who is the last England coach people actually liked? I guess Lancaster? I'm not sure be likeable is that important. Rather have a total arss who gets results. No one ever likes England anyway. We're always everyone's team to beat, might as well embrace it. Like bad guys in Star Wars 😂

No World Cup though. Although talking of no one liking coaches. Who is the last England coach people actually liked? I guess Lancaster? I'm not sure be likeable is that important. Rather have a total arss who gets results. No one ever likes England anyway. We're always everyone's team to beat, might as well embrace it. Like bad guys in Star Wars 😂

Considering I saw the England vs. Australia game at Twickenham not me. Last England coach I really liked was Eddie Jones.

It is trendy on here to dislike successful coaches.

No Lancaster was too nice. I have the feeling he got bullied by Faz senior. Lancaster came across as a school teacher. Fond of buzz words, peace, love, brotherhood, strength etc. Just not my cup of tea.

I'd say Eddie was my favourite when he was good he was up there with the best. Although i get he wasn't everyone's cup of tea either.

Two very different management styles people's preferences may differ.

Hahahaha

Aaaaand just like that I rate your opinion as much as I rate Megan Markles in the same subject from here on in...

I mean what's not for you, the coach with the most wins in RWC's, the most successful coach in Wales, Lions and 6N history?
Nobody else wanted him, other than Wales, but it seems you have him in your dreams. Enjoy.

No Lancaster was too nice. I have the feeling he got bullied by Faz senior. Lancaster came across as a school teacher. Fond of buzz words, peace, love, brotherhood, strength etc. Just not my cup of tea.

I'd say Eddie was my favourite when he was good he was up there with the best. Although i get he wasn't everyone's cup of tea either.

Two very different management styles people's preferences may differ.
I thought everything came too early for Lancaster. He was building a really good squad, which played some top quality, heads up rugby, but I also remember games when we got pumped and we looked so naive.

If 2015 hadn't been so embarrassingly bad, he'd probably have had his contract extended and developed the squad that Eddie inherited.

I thought everything came too early for Lancaster. He was building a really good squad, which played some top quality, heads up rugby, but I also remember games when we got pumped and we looked so naive.

If 2015 hadn't been so embarrassingly bad, he'd probably have had his contract extended and developed the squad that Eddie inherited.

I think Lancaster is a great hands on coach working day to day with the players, but wasn't cut out to be the head guy at that level, exerting authority, dealing with the media etc. No shame in that but a pity that an excellent coach has been lost to the English game. Could definitely have had a role whether at senior or more developmental levels.

That's right, noone wanted the most successful NH coach of all time hahahah
TBF - Southampton FC and the British Olympic Committee took him on, but... in rugby? yeah, no.

I think Lancaster is a great hands on coach working day to day with the players, but wasn't cut out to be the head guy at that level, exerting authority, dealing with the media etc. No shame in that but a pity that an excellent coach has been lost to the English game. Could definitely have had a role whether at senior or more developmental levels.
This.
A really good hands-on coach, and some promise as a head honcho, but not with the likes of A Farrell behind the scenes - just not a strong enough personality (at that stage of his career).
Was building reasonably enough up to 2015, then suddenly changed tack, gave confusing messages to players, insisted on crowbarring individuals in because of their name...

A bit like Borthwick, and presumably Johnson - got the England HC job at least a decade too early in his career. A job that should be for a proven performer at that level, not a rookie learning the ropes to then go on and peak elsewhere (or quit from coaching).

A bit like Borthwick, and presumably Johnson - got the England HC job at least a decade too early in his career. A job that should be for a proven performer at that level, not a rookie learning the ropes to then go on and peak elsewhere (or quit from coaching).

Yep, totally. Article in the Times talking about the England coaching set up, which was as close to being overtly critical without saying "I'm being overtly critical".

Pointing out their young ages 43 for Borthwick and Sinfield, 40 for Wiggles and 32 for Harrison, giving their, pretty lightweight, coaching CVs and also pointing out that coaching wise 3 of them only really know Tigers and not for very long at that.

We know all that but it does look pretty stark on the page.

Walters seems to be well regarded and Jones is coming in. But if Borthwick is going to be the head guy going forward he will need to surround himself with more experience (regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks in France).

Just thinking about players, coaches and the team, and what struck me is that Youngs is Englands most capped player, and Farrell our top points scorer, and yet neither have consistently been the best available players in their respective positions, and certainly not for some time have either been rated highly, and yet England allow them to reach these mile stones, and I think that outlines the problem perfectly. An unwillingness by England management, and Sweeny and his cronies more widely, to change, grow and adapt. After this RWC English rugby needs a ground up rebuild, probably using the Irish approach as a template.

I'd also like to say that I don't blame Farrell and Youngs. They aren't going to turn down playing for their country when the offer is made, and I'm sure they give their very best. Farrell is clearly a dedicated chap who takes things very seriously. It's for the coaches to recognise that he isn't cutting mustard and take necessary action.

Anyway, still looking forward to the games this weekend. I really hope we make good account of ourselves, and get through to a semi, where, in the white hot heat of knockout rugby, anything could happen.

neither have consistently been the best available players in their respective positions,

this nails it for me, they'll both be out after the world cup hopefully. Smith has the ability to be a top 3 fly half, he just needs to be given the chance.

Latest posts