• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

So Andy Goode is saying Arundell was dropped because he and Farrell had a training ground spat….
Yeah I just heard that… didn't think he was particularly close to the first XV anyway though tbh.

Why play conservative rugby in a quarter final with the prospect of reaching the semi, and then fling the ball around like soap and risk a possible place in the final? Inconsistent and doesn't make sense.
It makes all the sense in the world.

Conservative play has beaten Fiji for 100 years, why risk a semi final trying to transition into a new game plan?

In the semi, England will be outgunned, and outclassed by whoever they face, that is the time for risks, when you know you cant win with the style you are playing.

It makes all the sense in the world.

Conservative play has beaten Fiji for 100 years, why risk a semi final trying to transition into a new game plan?

In the semi, England will be outgunned, and outclassed by whoever they face, that is the time for risks, when you know you cant win with the style you are playing.

Agree on those points. England need to bring the intensity and tactical nounce they brought to the Argentina game. What impressed me most about that game is England have been pretty brain dead for years but adapted to waht was in front of them and kept the error and penalty count to a bare minimum.

Fiji's scrum has been solid but their lineout not so much and could have cost them that Australia win. Would like to see the stats but can't seem to find them as it feels like England's own lineout has been inconsistent too.

I don't recall Fiji missing too many place kicks against Portugal but is also still an area of weakness.

Agree on those points. England need to bring the intensity and tactical nounce they brought to the Argentina game. What impressed me most about that game is England have been pretty brain dead for years but adapted to waht was in front of them and kept the error and penalty count to a bare minimum.

Fiji's scrum has been solid but their lineout not so much and could have cost them that Australia win. Would like to see the stats but can't seem to find them as it feels like England's own lineout has been inconsistent too.

I don't recall Fiji missing too many place kicks against Portugal but is also still an area of weakness.
So...

Fijis scrum hasnt been top class, but it's been improved definately. Dropped 2 pens v Portugal, there were 2 under advantage v Wales (Wales scored a try off 1, and advantage was over the other), but it did pressure Aus and went well v Georgia.

Lineout hasnt been as bad as people say, but it's not good, Itoje and Lawes should be kicking their lips.

Fijis goal kicking is inconsistent, Lomani isnt good, but they were 100% v Aus with what's his chops.

Yeah because that's good coaching…let's play to the opposition's strengths
??
How about playing to your own strengths?
You keep simplifying the choices teams actually have to make.

France and New Zealand score tries for fun and finish off chances more consistently than Fiji. They are better. However they don't need to underestimate Fiji in order to play their own game. They can play an expansive game in attack whilst not kicking loosely to the Fijian backs. Or they can keep it tighter and kick more often but be more opportunistic with counter attack.

Apparently more than 1400 tickets unsold (per the Times online) for this match. Surely be snapped up regardless of how **** England played v Samoa?

Depends on the price I guess? At the end of the day sport is entertainment, and England aren't great bang for your buck in that department these days.

So Andy Goode is saying Arundell was dropped because he and Farrell had a training ground spat….

If true….

Great. A bit of fire and aggression maybe laced with a bit of youthful arrogance - perfect! Don't suppose Farrell had any similar traits at that age.

That shouldn't be the reason, or even a factor, in him being dropped. Spats happen, both need to look beyond it particularly Farrell as the senior man and captain and do whatever's best for the team.

Maybe Arundell pointed out that he's only 3 tries behind Farrell despite having nearly 7,000 minutes less experience in an England shirt.

??

France and New Zealand score tries for fun and finish off chances more consistently than Fiji. They are better. However they don't need to underestimate Fiji in order to play their own game. They can play an expansive game in attack whilst not kicking loosely to the Fijian backs. Or they can keep it tighter and kick more often but be more opportunistic with counter attack.
Wide play isnt Englands strength though is it

Apparently more than 1400 tickets unsold (per the Times online) for this match. Surely be snapped up regardless of how **** England played v Samoa?

Saw some interviews with fans after the Samoa game. They were not happy. Understandably so. Still, it is the quarter final and not too far to travel.

Depends on the price I guess? At the end of the day sport is entertainment, and England aren't great bang for your buck in that department these days.
Just had a little log in...

There are a LOT of tickets available for England Fiji. Like of every category, from 75 up. Ooof

There are a few Wales v Arg left too.

??

I would suspect both France and New Zealand primary objective first and foremost is a good defence and field position and controlling games.England struggle with good field position and there defence is suspect at times.My point is these are the foundations which games are won or lost and unless they are corrected why go away from the basics in a quarter final just to be more entertaining.I actually think as I said earlier that England are trying to be more attack minded in the last 20 minutes of games so it might be a call from the coaches so what are the players supposed to do.If that's the game plan then what's the point in coaches if we're suggesting England players do what they like in games.(they'd not be selected for the next game).I get opportunities arise but what there doing now is working for them and they don't particularly have the players to via away from that plan

I would suspect both France and New Zealand primary objective first and foremost is a good defence and field position and controlling games.England struggle with good field position and there defence is suspect at times.My point is these are the foundations which games are won or lost and unless they are corrected why go away from the basics in a quarter final just to be more entertaining.I actually think as I said earlier that England are trying to be more attack minded in the last 20 minutes of games so it might be a call from the coaches so what are the players supposed to do.If that's the game plan then what's the point in coaches if we're suggesting England players do what they like in games.(they'd not be selected for the next game).I get opportunities arise but what there doing now is working for them and they don't particularly have the players to via away from that plan
Not just to be more entertaining - to have a chance at winning against better sides

We haven't played a top 6 side yet in this tournament!!!

Not just to be more entertaining - to have a chance at winning against better sides

We haven't played a top 6 side yet in this tournament!!
Englands best chance of winning against a top team is keep sticking to what there doing and hope a top side has an off day…it's where England are at the moment with the players they have.that's international rugby 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

So...

Fijis scrum hasnt been top class, but it's been improved definately. Dropped 2 pens v Portugal, there were 2 under advantage v Wales (Wales scored a try off 1, and advantage was over the other), but it did pressure Aus and went well v Georgia.

Lineout hasnt been as bad as people say, but it's not good, Itoje and Lawes should be kicking their lips.

Fijis goal kicking is inconsistent, Lomani isnt good, but they were 100% v Aus with what's his chops.
Missed the last kick that would have taken the bonus point away from Aus, I got it drunkenly on video. Come on Harry!

Latest posts