• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

Honestly, this selection reminds of 2006 when Eriksson brought on Heskey. The coach has basically gone '**** it' I don't know what else to do.

(I can't find the heskey meme 😢)
I don't know what goes on in Borthwick's head when it comes to selection. Ericsson just tried to put all his best players and hoped 🤞for the best. Hence we got a midfield of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes which with hindsight was never going to work, especially Lampard and Gerrard who were too similar.

Heskey was there purely as a foil Owen until Rooney came along.

Borthwick hasn't quite reached that level yet but he is showing his blind loyalty to Farrell like Southgate is to the likes of Maguire and Henderson.

That's ludicrous, it would only count if England had no counter threat around him. You realise ability in the air is 75% positioning.
That % sounds pretty arbitrary to me where did you pluck that one from? Counter attack don't make me laugh, Smiths literally the only one who has done it with any success the last 18 months, you realise in order to get into position one has to get from point A to point B? if they are slower to get there they have less time to make a decision, I've already said in this very conversation I don't think he currently has the positioning to compensate for the lack of pace.

Today we had an Argentinian team winning thanks to the hostile atmosphere their supporters supported, tomorrow we will have "how can England lose to a team that lost to Portugal ?"
Hopefully Ireland and France will fight for the WC and restore some dignity to those proceedings 😁

In the FB argument everyone's getting het up about individual players' merits, largely overlooking the value of units - players understanding what others will do, instinctively understanding their running patterns, how to work best as a team to cover weaknesses etc. It's kind of important….

In the 6N Steward was paired with 3 separate wing combos:

Malins and OHC twice
Malins and Watson twice
Watson and Arundell

Precisely none of whom are playing any meaningful part in the RWC.

Then we move to the warm ups where he was paired with:

Malins and Coka
Arundell and Daly
Watson and Daly
Malins and May

So that's what, 7 separate wing combos in 9 games.

At the RWC he then gets further new combinations in May & Daly (twice!) and May & Marchant. So, a scarcely believable 9 combos in 12 games….and only Watson out through injury. That's just this year - and just starters before the disruptions of subs - beyond ludicrous!

No great surprise if Steward looks like his confidence is shot and needs to reintroduce his backside to his elbow.

And that's before you even think about the revolving **** show that's our midfield, which also has direct effects on the FB. Against Samoa it was a defensive sieve, while kicking so much gives few attacking chances - we saw what Steward can do in the build up to Chessum's try.

That's not a backdrop to encourage high performance - you'd need to be the love child of Serge Blanco and Christian Cullen to cope with that. Steward's not, and nor's Smith.

Smith may get away with it tomorrow, but we're basically asking him for a Hail Mary. Still, at least in our considered, detailed preparation, in his only ever start at FB Smith was paired with…… Arundell and Malins neither of whom is even in the 23.

#bestofbritishmarcus
I think Steward has a lot of things to work on but he is young and can do it. All depends on how Steve wants his team to play though, if he wants pace on the counter Steward probably isnt it, and if he wants a playmaking FB Steward at this point isnt great either, showed glimpses on this though and think he could get to a good level here, if he wants someone solid under the high ball and GENERALLY ok on defense steward is the guy. Personally think he should look to alex goode as a good example for developing his playmaking.

I 100% agree on the point that he is being made to look worse because the cast around him isnt functioning and is chopped and changed. Smith probably looks better in that sort of situation simply because he is more ball dominant. Smith at FB is so funny, I personally think he could make it work long term but that would rely on him getting time there at club level, for an international team to go with it when he has never played there is so goofy.

On that breakdown it is so bizzare that he seemed set on mallins as his number 1 wing right up untill the eve of the tournament when he dropped him for a guy he had initially dropped from the squad, over performance in the group compared to expectations (aided by how bad everyone else was) distracts from what is some very questionable squad building from steve, Hopefully it is more logical and forward thinking post world cup.

I think one aspect of Steward's game that doesn't get enough attention is his ball carrying into traffic. He is quite good at getting over the gain line and breaking tackles. Which leads some people to say he should play centre but then you are not taking advantage of his ability under the high ball.

Today we had an Argentinian team winning thanks to the hostile atmosphere their supporters supported, tomorrow we will have "how can England lose to a team that lost to Portugal ?"
Hopefully Ireland and France will fight for the WC and restore some dignity to those proceedings 😁
Are you still crying for the last FIFA World Cup?

I get this, but then what do we do 'if' we get to the semi - this doesn't feel like a solution that has legs to go the distance so I worry it kicks the can down the road. Smith has the talent to prove me wrong though, but if Steward or someone else is going to play there in a potential semi final, we may as well get on with that now
The semi is a different game. I'm perfectly fine with a horses for courses approach.

The semi is a different game. I'm perfectly fine with a horses for courses approach.
Exactly this. Horses for courses approach, hence Smith is a better shout here. Steward would be for other games.

Helps if we had a decent game plan like, but meh. We can't have everything :D

Given the quality of tonight's game and to see such a good side pose - I do think we'd have to cancel rugby if England somehow managed to win the thing.

The good news is, rugby's very safe for at least the next 4 years.

Oh man I am all over Fiji right now. A southern hemisphere whitewash given all the pre-tournament noise...

1697328564395.gif

Oh man I am all over Fiji right now. A southern hemisphere whitewash given all the pre-tournament noise...

View attachment 18145
All the noise was that England are ****!
You should be supporting us as underdogs and fellow Eddie Jones survivors

I feel you and if you came from any country other than England I might be swayed.

But alas - England are unsupportable in any format. Its basically the law.
And that's how every English man likes it.
When we have a top side again very soon...it'll be even better.

In the FB argument everyone's getting het up about individual players' merits, largely overlooking the value of units - players understanding what others will do, instinctively understanding their running patterns, how to work best as a team to cover weaknesses etc. It's kind of important….

In the 6N Steward was paired with 3 separate wing combos:

Malins and OHC twice
Malins and Watson twice
Watson and Arundell

Precisely none of whom are playing any meaningful part in the RWC.

Then we move to the warm ups where he was paired with:

Malins and Coka
Arundell and Daly
Watson and Daly
Malins and May

So that's what, 7 separate wing combos in 9 games.

At the RWC he then gets further new combinations in May & Daly (twice!) and May & Marchant. So, a scarcely believable 9 combos in 12 games….and only Watson out through injury. That's just this year - and just starters before the disruptions of subs - beyond ludicrous!

No great surprise if Steward looks like his confidence is shot and needs to reintroduce his backside to his elbow.

And that's before you even think about the revolving **** show that's our midfield, which also has direct effects on the FB. Against Samoa it was a defensive sieve, while kicking so much gives few attacking chances - we saw what Steward can do in the build up to Chessum's try.

That's not a backdrop to encourage high performance - you'd need to be the love child of Serge Blanco and Christian Cullen to cope with that. Steward's not, and nor's Smith.

Smith may get away with it tomorrow, but we're basically asking him for a Hail Mary. Still, at least in our considered, detailed preparation, in his only ever start at FB Smith was paired with…… Arundell and Malins neither of whom is even in the 23.

#bestofbritishmarcus

Dayglo has read my post, adding in the Sunday Times that we have fielded 22 back row combinations in the last 25 tests (assuming that may include subs), while casually pointing out that he Back and Hill played together 46 times.

Borthwick's had 13 tests now. Whatever hand he was dealt he hasn't played it well.

Dayglo has read my post, adding in the Sunday Times that we have fielded 22 back row combinations in the last 25 tests (assuming that may include subs), while casually pointing out that he Back and Hill played together 46 times.

Borthwick's had 13 tests now. Whatever hand he was dealt he hasn't played it well.
So is an offer on the way to Farrell??

Are you Brian Moore in disguise?

Latest posts