• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Australia (24/09/2023)

I dont really get the hate for Gatland or Jones, they both play mind games, work the press and are provocative at times, but theres no arguing with stats....

Gatland has won more RWC games than any other coach, closely followed by Jones.

Both have won GS's, Jones has been involved in winning the RWC, both made semis etc...

I dont mind either of these, Rassie on the other hand seems to spend all his time trying to bring the game into disrepute!!!

That doesn't sound right, are you sure?
Not about to hunt for stats on my phone though.
He's probably coached more RWC than any other coach of teams that go deep (and Wales have two Semi-Final appearances under him). Jones, Graham Henry and Steve Hansen are the only other competitors.

I can't be arsed to work out but its one of those stats that are actually rubbish missing the actual important things like win/loss ratio and you know the only stat that matters when it comes to world cup's and that's winning the tournament.

Warren Gatland 16 wins
Eddie Jones 15 wins

I mean, Gatland has taken Wales to 3 world cups and made a quarter and 2 semi finals. Doing that with a minnow nation like Wales has to be commended.

Also Eddie Jones was part of SA's world cup win, masterminded the greatest shock RWC has ever known, and made a final with Aus.

Those are 2 impressive stats no?!

Dammed impressive, damned close, and only recently swapped positions.
It was Eddie I was thinking of, with 3 RWC finals.
Must admit, I'd forgotten Warren was in place in time for 2007, so I'd thought they were 4 RWCs each.

Warren wasnt in place for 2007, he was brought in 80 days after...

Jenkins was sacked in a car park after losing to Fiji.

This is Gatlands 4th tournament... can he make 20 wins?!?!

My memory wasn't all that faulty then.
Isn't this also Eddie's 4th tourney? With 3 finals + with Japan (not many wins, but a memorable one)

I can't separate whether I want to wave bye to Gats or Eddie The Mouth. Based upon performance since entering their current roles, Gats has been effective, Jones has been hopeless, and I suspect the players have chained Borthers to a radiator after the Fiji warmup. Gats should stay, because at least he is doing something for the shitshow that is Welsh rugby.

Gats has been effective?? Did he bribe Matt Carley or something?

Gats has been effective?? Did he bribe Matt Carley or something?
I mean on his return Wales were on a run of 7-2 losing to Georgia and Italy in the process. Moral and confidence were at an all time low...

they went into the 6N as wooden spoon favourites, and pre world cup were odds on for 3rd place in a battle with Georgia.

Gatland has beaten Italy in Italy, then beaten the fancied Fiji handily, after beating out playing England home and away...

Wales look to have a functioning defence, have some players with their chests out again, excited to play, and almost look coherent in attack (8 tries in 2 games was the best we could hope for).

If Wales make a quarter Gats will have been worth every penny, he really has taken a very demoralised side and given them hope.

He may not have lit the world up, but in realistic terms Gats has made great strides, and I dont think theres a welshman who would disagree we have seen true honest progression since he took over.

2 other coaches took over less than 12 months before the RWC, Borthwick, and Jones. I'd say Gats is outperforming both wouldnt you?

I mean on his return Wales were on a run of 7-2 losing to Georgia and Italy in the process. Moral and confidence were at an all time low...

they went into the 6N as wooden spoon favourites, and pre world cup were odds on for 3rd place in a battle with Georgia.

Gatland has beaten Italy in Italy, then beaten the fancied Fiji handily, after beating out playing England home and away...

Wales look to have a functioning defence, have some players with their chests out again, excited to play, and almost look coherent in attack (8 tries in 2 games was the best we could hope for).

If Wales make a quarter Gats will have been worth every penny, he really has taken a very demoralised side and given them hope.

He may not have lit the world up, but in realistic terms Gats has made great strides, and I dont think theres a welshman who would disagree we have seen true honest progression since he took over.

2 other coaches took over less than 12 months before the RWC, Borthwick, and Jones. I'd say Gats is outperforming both wouldnt you?
Agree with this. As long as he gets us through to a quarter it's decent progress. People can whine about whether we deserved it against fiji or not but all in all was a good performance. But let's see, needs to be a good one against Aus and the QF to pass a proper judgment. The game against Portugal is not worth mentioning as it was a second team and we have always had a history of struggling in these games with second teams (Uruguay last time one of many examples).

So I'm happy with the team personally. It's as strong as can be. Yes Beard is playing but Jenkins is on bench so he has a chance to shine and take his place if so. Then also Costellow is unlucky with Anscombe not really doing anything to warrant his place. However experience counts for something here I suppose. All in all, can't wait.

CBE10A18-0C1C-4387-82FE-5B9A37604100.jpeg
Australia also going with no centre cover anywhere from what I can see. Bold.

Also opted to go with no openside and bring in Leota. Perhaps thinking they can bully Wales physically? I can see Jac Morgan giving them a very hard time at the breakdown now.

Wales to win.

Actually, thinking about it, what are the chances he moves Biggar to 12 and brings Anscombe on. I might actually feel a bit better about that at least until Bigs puts in a high shot on Kerevi running 20 mph at him.

Latest posts