• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sale Sharks v Harlequins (ft. Nick Easter at...)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Lock!
After speaking to Martin Johnson Harlequins are playing Easter at lock tomorrow night =/

Teams:
Sale Sharks Team: Paul Williams: Ben Cohen, Chris Bell, Nick Macleod, Mark Cueto: Matty James, Dwayne Peel: Eifion Lewis Roberts, Marc Jones, Jack Forster, Wame Lewaravu, James Gaskell (capt.), Carl Fearns, David Seymour, Sisa Koyamaibole.
Replacements: Neil Briggs, Andrew Sheridan, Aston Croall, Nic Rouse, Kristian Ormsby, Chris Leck, Kyle Tonetti, Tom Brady.

Quins team: Mike Brown; Tom Williams, Ollie Smith, Jordan Turner-Hall, George Lowe; Nick Evans, Danny Care; Ceri Jones, Matt Cairns, James Johnston, Nick Easter, Tomas Vallejos, Chris Robshaw (capt), Will Skinner, Tom Guest.
Replacements: Chris Brooker, Joe Marler, Mark Lambert, Ollie Kohn, Pete Browne, Karl Dickson, Rory Clegg, Gonzalo Camacho.

Some odd decisions in Sale: Macleod at 12, despite being more than decent at 10, Matty James at 10 despite being average at best during preseason, and Tonetti dropped to the bench.
Should've kept MacLeod at 10, and put Tonetti at 12 with Bell at 13.
Also, Sheridan dropped for Roberts (Brewer must've noticed the improvement at the scrum after Sheridan went off last weekend)

How have Sale looked so far under Mike Brewer, Olyy. I'm interested because Brewer was the guy who put a rocket under the asses of the Leinster pack and also Kyle Tonetti was quite highly rated by Leinster. I see that the Sharks have appointed former Munster, Ireland and current Scotland defence coach Graham Steadman in a consultant defence coach role.

From the outside looking in, Brewer is really shaking things up at Sale.

I'm impressed with him so far.
He doesn't take **** from people, and doesn't care about peoples reputations (he'll drop a player if they don't perform, Sheridan on the bench for the this match for example - though why Cohen is there over Tom Brady is beyond me), and has said in interviews that he'll tell them exactly what's on his mind/won't beat around the bush.
He's also said before that he doesn't like to send them in with a game plan, like he won't say "If this is happening at the ruck do A, if not do B" he'll tell them to do what they feel is right. Worked well against the Falcons but then not so against the Saracens (Sarries back row causing problems for everyone, and forwards just generally under performing meant everyone was on the back foot)
It's still early days, only 5 games under him, but 3 wins and two losses, (with the losses being the French champs and the English runners up) isn't bad. I dread to think what the outcomes would've been in those games if they'd've been played last season.

why on earth would johnson want easter to play lock when he's the only half decent 8 there is?

Does anyone remember when Corry (or going back even further, Rodber) were shoehorned into the second row? That didn't work eiter.

All that said, Quins should still have more then enough to contain Sale.

He played Ward-Smith at lock on the summer tour, despite him only playing 8 for Wasps, didn't he?
Seems Johnson wants his players to multi-task these days :S

What height is nick easter from what i have seen he is of the buttyer body shape than a big lock?

I'm really looking forward to this game tonight,,

Hopefully Quins can start taking some of their chances!!!!

Easter at Lock is an interesting one,, although he has played there before.. I think the discussion with Johnson might of been checking that playing at lock won't hurt his chances of playing for England.

At least it gives Guest some game time...

I thought Nick Easter was a number 8, not a second rower!

demotivational-posters-even-the-polar-bears.jpg

I'm getting tired of having to post these pictures.

I thought Nick Easter was a number 8, not a second rower!
Hence the discussion ;)
Otherwise it'd be "Shock horror! Ben Cohen is playing wing for Sale on Friday!

In other news, both teams scrumhalves have had to miss the match,
Peel and Care replaced by Leck and Dickson respectively

Last edited:
FT: 21 - 17

Sale were trailing for most of the game (6 - 17 at halftime)
Try from Cueto in the second half (after being nudged out in the corner three times before) then a game winner from Tonetti :D

FT: 21 - 17

Sale were trailing for most of the game (6 - 17 at halftime)
Try from Cueto in the second half (after being nudged out in the corner three times before) then a game winner from Tonetti :D

How is Tonetti settling in there?

How is Tonetti settling in there?
Been pretty quiet so far, but got two starts in three games, and came off the bench to score a try tonight, so doing well.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the starting line up next week

How'd that English player do? The one that used to play Number 8?

Walked straight off the pitch when the whistle blew, no shaking hands etc.
No idea how well he played though, was watching the Saints game reading the highlights on the Sale site

Holy crap, Sale won a match. And Cueto actually scored one... :eek:

Took 4 attempts this match but it happened!

Cohen is gutted because he a try second before, but then the ref called it back to a penalty (there was a forward pass to cohen apparently, and advantage was being played) - Robshaw got binned, they took a quick penalty and Cueto got the glory :p

Latest posts