• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess...What do we think?

It's not comparing apples and oranges though. High workrate/cardiovascular fitness in one code directly translates into the other.

The crux of that story was the fact he broke his face and played on - without that he wouldn't have been on the front of the sports section, let alone the entire site.

I'm talking about comparing BBC content.

Sam Burgess has got me excited about Union for the first time in yonks so I'm already grateful to him. Hes your biggest talent so England must use it wisely.

Sam Burgess has got me excited about Union for the first time in yonks so I'm already grateful to him. Hes your biggest talent so England must use it wisely.

Dunno about biggest talent but he is a pretty big draw card that will help rugby everywhere, esp in league playing countries.

The talent factor will only get better the more he plays and is managed into the game properly.

Thanks Sam for choosing our sport, not like others who prefer to waste time in the NFL. I hope you have success in our sport! :D

Hayne trying his hand in the NFL has really **** you up, hasn't it? :lol:

Yeah, who can think in an Aussie on the NFL? It would have been reasonably if he becomes cricketer

Since 20004 there have been 12 players who have signed with various NFL teams and pretty sure there are a few playing in the college ranks. Mainly punters but still proof that the NFL is not the closed market you think it is.

And since you've lost this argument we all ask you to just drop it

Since 20004 there have been 12 players who have signed with various NFL teams and pretty sure there are a few playing in the college ranks. Mainly punters but still proof that the NFL is not the closed market you think it is.

check out Marty McFly here!

And since you've lost this argument we all ask you to just drop it

No, I don't think so. Kickers have always been foreigners on the NFL, Americans don't like kicking the ball, there was even an Argie with fairly successful: Martin Gramatica

141015044531298251.jpg

He won the Super Bowl XXXVII:

141015044532761034.jpg

Last edited:

So we can blame him for your return then....

:lol: Partly...

Rugby Union is lacking in star power....edge of the seat players. Game winners, difference makers. Isnt helped by the game being bogged down with forward emphasis and low risk play.

O'Driscoll has gone (and has been past his best since 2009) so that's us out of the scene for the foreseeable. Scotland haven't had anyone of note for decades. Robinson was the last one for England. France no longer play like France....which just leaves Wales who, from an attacking standpoint, are the one saving grace in the NH. Its in the Welsh DNA to play a certain way and thank god they haven't neglected that.

NZ are awesome but the lack of quality competition (besides SA) doesnt make for appealing games. South Afica are brutes while Aus are weaker than ever.

Burgess IMO will become the face of NH Rugby...one that is badly needed.

:lol: Partly...

Rugby Union is lacking in star power....edge of the seat players. Game winners, difference makers. Isnt helped by the game being bogged down with forward emphasis and low risk play.

O'Driscoll has gone (and has been past his best since 2009) so that's us out of the scene for the foreseeable. Scotland haven't had anyone of note for decades. Robinson was the last one for England. France no longer play like France....which just leaves Wales who, from an attacking standpoint, are the one saving grace in the NH. Its in the Welsh DNA to play a certain way and thank god they haven't neglected that.

NZ are awesome but the lack of quality competition (besides SA) doesnt make for appealing games. South Afica are brutes while Aus are weaker than ever.

Burgess IMO will become the face of NH Rugby...one that is badly needed.

Thanks I needed that laugh.

I know you are really a troll but if you were a rugby fan you'd know there are still a lot of exciting players out there. Even in Ireland

which just leaves Wales who, from an attacking standpoint, are the one saving grace in the NH. Its in the Welsh DNA to play a certain way and thank god they haven't neglected that.

I'm not sure Wales are currently recognised for flamboyant rugby...

It's not Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Barry John flamboyant.....but it's still flamboyant (at their best).

When Wales are in full flow they are a joy to watch. But for Warburton's lapse I believe they could have won the last World Cup. They are the closest thing to how France used to play, a style that's always been the Achilles heel for New Zealand.

Rugby has become attritional, Wales in the NH are an exception.

Have you watched Wales since 2011?

Since Shane retired Gatlandball is anything but "flamboyant".

It's not Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, Barry John flamboyant.....but it's still flamboyant (at their best).

When Wales are in full flow they are a joy to watch. But for Warburton's lapse I believe they could have won the last World Cup. They are the closest thing to how France used to play, a style that's always been the Achilles heel for New Zealand.

Rugby has become attritional, Wales in the NH are an exception.
hqdefault.jpg

Rugby has become attritional, Wales in the NH are <strike>an exception</strike> the case in point.

Fixed.

Anyways..... It will be interesting to see how he goes. Transferring between the two Rugby codes is not easy at the best of times, and given the short time frame until the RWC I personally doubt he will be involved (but I have been wrong many times before!). Good luck to him.... unless he does make the RWC squad and plays against the AB's. Then I hope he has a shocker :p

Last edited:

Latest posts