• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scoring a try

Andronicus

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hawke's Bay
I am amused at the number of commentators who claim a player has to have "control" of the ball when scoring a try.

They don't know the laws of our great game.

Law 9.4.1 states: "When an attacking player is first to ground the ball in the opponent's in-goal, a try is scored".

The word "control" doesn't appear.

Yes but one is inferred by the other, you cant "ground" the ball without having a controlled grip on the ball.

Also I've never seen a control argument used, all you need to do is give the ball a good downward slap if it is on the ground and that's a try.

If you've lost control of the ball you've knocked on before it's down, so no try. Simples.

"Trying a score" would be a much, much more convincing ***le. And attractive.

You need to apply some pressure to the ball. That's basically what the commentators are insinuating. In my book, to do that you need to have some element of control over the ball so it works both ways.

What Feic said if it hits the ground absent of the ball carriers control then it's a knock on simple as that.

What are you trying to argue even ?

What Feic said if it hits the ground absent of the ball carriers control then it's a knock on simple as that.

What are you trying to argue even ?

Quite simply that all you have to do to score a try is to touch the ball while it is on the ground. It is only a knock on if the ball goes forward. Touching the ball is not control.

Yes but one is inferred by the other, you cant "ground" the ball without having a controlled grip on the ball.

I disagree, and so does the Law. You can ground the ball without control, but it depends in whether you have possession of the ball or not.

If you have the ball in your possession then you only need ground the ball

[TEXTAREA]22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and
touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in
the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.[/TEXTAREA]

If the ball is loose, then you need to ground it with downward pressure

[TEXTAREA]22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the
in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of
the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

[/TEXTAREA]

If you've lost control of the ball you've knocked on before it's down, so no try. Simples.

No, a player can lose control of the ball backwards and still ground the ball for a try.

Control, no control, slap, ground, uncontrolled ground, touch, obviosly a case for the video ref!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts