• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ Nov 23 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was at the game, incredible atmosphere and Murrayfield wasn't even full!!

Andy Robinson and Steadman have brought discipline and organisation to our national side. They're playing to the strengths of Scotland; using our big pack and keeping it simple.

I know a lot of Aussies are banging on about how the dominanted Scotland, but rugby is as much about what you do off the ball as what you do on it. I can understand the argument that Australia were better cause they had more ball or possession, but they wasted it. Scotland hardly saw the ball, yet registered more points that Australia. So, how does that make Australia a better side? Oz were forced into a lot of their errors by an awesome Scottish defence that smashed and battered anything in a gold jersey. How many times did we see an Aussie boy get driven back? Look at Giteu's 'attempt' at a drop goal at the end of the first half. Hit after hit after hit had Australia going backwards and we forced them into those stupid errors. Aye, Oz should've been able to complete a simple 3 v 1, but the fact that the lad didn't proves that Australia were not good enough to win the game. You can have as much possesion and territory as you want, but unless you do anything with it, you're no better than the other team and that is exactly what happened on Saturday![/b]

Credit where credits due mate. I dont think anyones taking anything away from a great win for scotland.
Just let us aussies cry in despair as our team manages to find new ways to dissapoint us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Nov 23 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Nov 23 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be brutally honest, I've seen the highlights and saw the mighty Australian juggernaught smash and clatter into that most imovable of objects: the reality of a very wet and windy Murrayfield.

Lets face it guys, its bloody hard to beat Scotland at home when its pouring cats and dogs close to an intensity not seen since Hurricane Andrew. The conditions are ripe for an attritional forwards contest with plenty of hardcore defence-work and not for running rugby. I don't care what you say, you're just making a rod for your own back if you turn up to a ground which is virtually a paddling pool and expect to play attacking running rugby. How Deans and co thought that they could prepare and play a running game I have no idea.

Scotland came to Murrayfield with their A game and with a team specifically picked and drilled knowing what the conditions have been for the past week and would be yesterday and they did it perfectly. Lets not forget here that for all Andy Robinson's shortcomings as a head coach he was the guy who made England's forwards some of the most fearsome on the planet bar none. The guy saw the conditions and knew he it was his territory and that Deans wouldn't be able to reach for his play book for this one.

I mean, look at Scotland in the loose with what little ball they had were absolutely great because they played and defended using the conditions to their advantage. Every time Australia attempted to run free they were hindred by those very same conditions and seemed ill equipped for any possible attempt to grind out a try or leave Scotland's half with points whatever they may be.

I say again. You do what you have to do to win be it with a penalty, a running try, a 10m drive over the line or a drop goal. To those who say you have to build a team for the future and you have to play to your strengths, you don't do that when its a howling gale and belting down rain on a waterlogged pitch!!!! You're simply asking for a kicking and I'm going to be blunt: Deans and Elsom dropped a bo**ok.[/b]
Hahahaha. Oh please juggernaught, what the hell have you been smoking?
[/b][/quote]

Oh, sorry, next time I'll be sure to put a huge sarcasm tag in large type :D

Only for you though WJD because you are my favourite :)

(Great points by the way)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Will @ Nov 24 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 22 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst I have been alive there has never been a darker era for the wallabies and the ARU[/b]

Easy tiger. Australia are clearly a good team with some great players. They beat England, draw against Ireland and lose to Scotland. It might not be the most successful ever Autumn tour, but try and keep a bit of perspective here... No need to be so dramatic.
[/b][/quote]
No offence mate losing to Scotland is pretty bad. I don't think it's happened since the 70's or early 80's when the Wallabies were about as inefficient as they are now.

I'd be happy if we played like the Crusaders. I know international rugby is a different game, but when Deans was announced as coach I think most people expected him to bring that style to the Wallabies. However even though we have a better playing group then what he had access to in Canterbury we play some downright awful rugby. And let's face it, the English and Scottish teams aren't any better than a top four Super 14 team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 22 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not wrong though.[/b]

No, very much correct. I think Australia, if they keep going as they are will be in a brilliant position for the next WC.

Stick with Deans, stop thinking about the now, and look to the future.

Incidently: Scotland will always do that to a team once in a blue moon. You lost, but you should have won comfortably, just a few players didnt quite perform and Scotland were like animals. It happens, its not a true reflection of where you guys are.

For oncce this was a game where excitement wa sin abdunace event hough there were no tries. Huge defence by Scotland really show that they can handle themselves on the world stage.

Latest posts