• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland World Cup Squad

Townsend possibly trying to deflect from the spot of bother Scotland are in by having picked a sub par Hogg at fullback for the last couple of years and limiting game time for viable alternatives.

Credit to Hogg for the move. I hope he doesn't have lasting injury / pain issues as this was a pretty drastic step for him to take. It isn't like the Welsh guys that appear to have retired before the RWC in order to secure a contract in France.

Townsend possibly trying to deflect from the spot of bother Scotland are in by having picked a sub par Hogg at fullback for the last couple of years and limiting game time for viable alternatives.

Credit to Hogg for the move. I hope he doesn't have lasting injury / pain issues as this was a pretty drastic step for him to take. It isn't like the Welsh guys that appear to have retired before the RWC in order to secure a contract in France.
It's an interesting topic for those of the blue persuasion, read a bit about it yesterday. Much as the guy sometimes can sound like a pr!ck he is extremely competitive and very very hard on himself in terms of performance. Rather than underperform and let others and himself down (in his words) he knew that it was better to stop. I do feel sorry for him, he is a real talent and broke the dull, 1 dimensional, unsucessful mould that Scotland lurked in for years. That said, many of us knew that he was not playing as well as he has done and that he wasn't happy about it, wish him all the best - he'll be a good pundit I'm sure.

Back to the team, are we about to enter the full Russell era? Time to shine for Finn and with a few big leaders in the pack, he is smart enough and diligent enough to really take a firm grip on this team.... Really hope he goes well v France.

Pretty lucky, think we'd have needed to have taken an additional tighthead if he was going to miss the first game. Getting the impression that World Rugby are being quite lenient with bans to avoid people missing the world cup...

Shame to see Hastings go - he's had awfully timed injuries.

Pretty lucky, think we'd have needed to have taken an additional tighthead if he was going to miss the first game. Getting the impression that World Rugby are being quite lenient with bans to avoid people missing the world cup...

Shame to see Hastings go - he's had awfully timed injuries.
Pretty lucky indeed. Is there any comparable precedent in rugby where a match suspension is swapped out for attending a course. Call me sceptical, but if there is no such precedent I do not see this happening for a Puma or a PI. Maybe not even for an Italian, Frenchman or even an Englishman.

I also do not think Fagerson would have got this if Tonga or Romania were first up. A two match suspension for that hit (which is about as bad as they come without evidence of malice) seems extremely leniant and if the Boks take an early bath they should look back on this judgement.

Very fortunate for Zander, think coment re WC coming are correct. World rugby not going OTT on bans (rightly or wrongly).

Hope Ben White can get back to match fitness, hes been a great asset recently.

Pretty lucky indeed. Is there any comparable precedent in rugby where a match suspension is swapped out for attending a course. Call me sceptical, but if there is no such precedent I do not see this happening for a Puma or a PI. Maybe not even for an Italian, Frenchman or even an Englishman.

I also do not think Fagerson would have got this if Tonga or Romania were first up. A two match suspension for that hit (which is about as bad as they come without evidence of malice) seems extremely leniant and if the Boks take an early bath they should look back on this judgement.
Farrell In this years 6N is the precedent. He also got a match he wouldn't have played to be counted as one of his bans

Farrell In this years 6N is the precedent. He also got a match he wouldn't have played to be counted as one of his bans
You have convinced me Al that I should at least not yet assume favouritism over general World Rugby disciplinary panel madness. Albeit the Farrell decision was made by the English union rather than World Rugby.

That Farrell one is hilarious, reading it now. Not only did Farrell get his 6 match ban reduced to 5 for attending tackle school, he then got it reduced to 4 matches... because he was a repeat offender!?

If I am reading that right it is bizarre. He would have got a week longer if he hadn't served a 5 game ban previously. Should it not be the other way around? That's setting aside the club stuff (which may have been concern over legal challenge rather than favouritism/self interest, but could have been either).

That said, I'd still query how Farrell gets an initial 6 weeks and Zander gets an initial 3. Unless Farrell's showed malice.

The Tongan red card today was reportedly a bad tip tackle. World Rugby disciplinary panel, its over to you!

Not only is Zander lucky not to get a longer ban but he's lucky Scotland don't have more depth in his position as he'd be close to getting banished to the international wilderness given his brain fart tendencies. I sincerely hope this serves as a much needed wake up call ahead of the RWC.

Journalists starting to catch up on Kinghorn, about 3 years too late.

"Scotland are a bit more willing to play from deep with the likes of Finn Russell and then Blair Kinghorn, who is exceptional. He can play anywhere in the backline that kid, he adds a huge kicking game, but he also has a turn of pace"

Decent article too touching on SA, France and NZ.

"Scotland are a bit more willing to play from deep with the likes of Finn Russell and then Blair Kinghorn, who is exceptional. He can play anywhere in the backline that kid, he adds a huge kicking game, but he also has a turn of pace"

One of better rugby articles I've read. Written by someone who knows what's he's talking about

Watching NZ in the RC I thought they actually stole some of the Irish tactics by overloading the short side and using quick short passes to get the outside players through the defensive line. Ireland, often using Hansen as the second playmaker, have been very successful with that style, and unless the opposition are working extremely hard it's very difficult to defend against, as NZ are now showing with their skill level and exceptional pace.

I want to see Kinghorn establish himself fully as Scotland's 15, maybe wing cover if needs be. I think it showed in his game how much happier he is at 15, and now he knows it's his shirt to retain.

Prime Hogg was never going to be shifted, even in the last few years his game intelligence was worth more than being off the pace.

There was a lot of wasted time trying to make KH a 10, for me he is a back 3 player to get the best out of him (of which there is a deep mine to dig in). There was a point in the France game where he caught a kick and turned in a way I'd never seen him do before. He's hungry to win that shirt and I'm glad to see it.

I want to see Kinghorn establish himself fully as Scotland's 15, maybe wing cover if needs be. I think it showed in his game how much happier he is at 15, and now he knows it's his shirt to retain.

Prime Hogg was never going to be shifted, even in the last few years his game intelligence was worth more than being off the pace.

There was a lot of wasted time trying to make KH a 10, for me he is a back 3 player to get the best out of him (of which there is a deep mine to dig in). There was a point in the France game where he caught a kick and turned in a way I'd never seen him do before. He's hungry to win that shirt and I'm glad to see it.
Agree with all of that, but, I'd like to see Ollie Smith given a decent opportunity to claim a distinct backup option at fullback, maybe a lesser group game at the RWC.

Also, let's not forget Hogg was also a fair option at FH when he was needed for the Lions as well as Scotland.

Agree with all of that, but, I'd like to see Ollie Smith given a decent opportunity to claim a distinct backup option at fullback, maybe a lesser group game at the RWC.

Also, let's not forget Hogg was also a fair option at FH when he was needed for the Lions as well as Scotland.
Yes true, Smith needs bringing on for sure he has got something to offer and we need backup.

Healy looks like he has some mileage in him too, probably want to see him against Georgia.

Totally agree with all of that.

Latest posts