• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum hats

Im a back and i wear one just try it borow one or some thing some people like them some hate them

I'm a second row myself.. at the start of the season, our director of rugby (realy good coach, lives and breathes the game) took the forwards for scrum practise, mainly focusing on tight 5 technique, telling us technique wins scrums and muscle has next to nothing. Using the scrum machine, he kept telling the front rows to squeeze there legs against the second rows heads, that being me and i didnt have a hat. I couldnt hear a f***ing thing in there lol, painful memory that one. Telling them I want his ears redder than a tomato at the end of training, they were..

Worn a headgear every game since then. IMO only locks should wear headgear, I cant stand backs who wear them, no need to.. front rowers, well you hardly see them wearing them, but they should use tape.

I've never tried tape before, probly because it would look really stupid, might try it one game upcoming season.

I'm a second row myself.. at the start of the season, our director of rugby (realy good coach, lives and breathes the game) took the forwards for scrum practise, mainly focusing on tight 5 technique, telling us technique wins scrums and muscle has next to nothing. Using the scrum machine, he kept telling the front rows to squeeze there legs against the second rows heads, that being me and i didnt have a hat. I couldnt hear a f***ing thing in there lol, painful memory that one. Telling them I want his ears redder than a tomato at the end of training, they were..

Worn a headgear every game since then. IMO only locks should wear headgear, I cant stand backs who wear them, no need to.. front rowers, well you hardly see them wearing them, but they should use tape.

I've never tried tape before, probly because it would look really stupid, might try it one game upcoming season. [/b]
So in your opinion, the only reason people should wear head gear/scrum caps is to protect your ears and the only position that needs that is locks?!

If you think that, you're sadly mistaken my friend.

I wore one for a few weeks after getting concussed just as a precaution. for some people it's a safety issue, but some backs don't like having their hair ruffled either!!!

I just think its stupid people other than the tight 5 wear headgear. [/b]

Why?

If a player outside the front five has had an injury to their head before, what is so ridiculous about wanting to wear protection in order to avoid doing it again?

I'm in the U14 A team at my School and i'm a second row, i find that now i'm getting some bad rubbing of the ears as comes with the role of second row, i just wanted the opinions of people with scrum hats, whether they are necessary, what are the problems i'm gonna experience if i get cauliflower ears and will i be able to hear as easily with a scrum hat on?

cheers.
[/b]
you dont want colliflour ears they hurt and bleed loads so i recomend tape

I've never tried tape before, probly because it would look really stupid, might try it one game upcoming season.
[/b]
why shouldnt backs wear them my teams backs some of them wear them

I wore one for a few weeks after getting concussed just as a precaution. for some people it's a safety issue, but some backs don't like having their hair ruffled either!!!
[/b]
wow how did you get concust and that is why you should wear one to prevent head injury but not too muck padding or you wil end up like american football players

I'm a prop and I wear one. It's good for keeping your ears healthy I've found.
[/b]
well you should you dont want to end up injured or have bleeding ears just look at sheridan

I also wear a scrum cap, As other have mentioned it just makes you feel a lot more confident when wearing one. My game has changed a lot since getting one. For the Better!

I reckon I'll have to buy one now. Being a lock and having long hair, I'ma perfect candidate.

Headgear is a good idea in any case in my opinion, not only for the ears/head thing but it can give you that bit of extra protection from concussion on hard grounds (esp here in drought aus)

A scrum hat is a good idea if you don't want to get your ears torn off, or want to protect yourself from a concussion. Even in football they are beginning to use them (Petr Cech uses a Canterbury scrum hat ever since he suffered a skull fracture). It doesn't matter where you play, if you feel safer with a hat, you'll play better and that's the important thing.

PetrCechNew.jpg

A scrum hat is a good idea if you don't want to get your ears torn off, or want to protect yourself from a concussion. Even in football they are beginning to use them (Petr Cech uses a Canterbury scrum hat ever since he suffered a skull fracture). It doesn't matter where you play, if you feel safer with a hat, you'll play better and that's the important thing.

PetrCechNew.jpg

[/b]
You noticed how it's now a adidas one, they can't let him be free advertising

Anyway, it's not a fashion show, if you think a cap will benefit you, you should wear one.

The cap give you more confioddent and is like paradise for the ears! using them you dive more, and in the scrum (when is raining and you have mud on your ear) your ear don't appear to be in magma!

I have buyied one here in Brazil many call is for nothing, but each one have personal opinions.

You noticed how it's now a adidas one, they can't let him be free advertising

Anyway, it's not a fashion show, if you think a cap will benefit you, you should wear one.
[/b]

I hadn't noticed that. You're right, free ads aren't very welcome these days. But the main point has been reached by most of the last posters. The thread asks if they are necessary. I think not completely necessary, but they help in giving confidence to forwards and sometimes more aggressive backs.

As a back I don't think I need one. I'm already agressive enough as it is and manage to get through 1 or 2 tackles most the time. I don't think that a back should need a scrum cap as its not even proven they help with concussion.

Latest posts