• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

In terms of a comparison, I have decided to write a review of Rugby Challenge, rather than compare it with RWC 2011, as there has been a lot of questions asked and answered regarding Rugby World Cup 2011.

Also if you have any questions please let me know

Posted this in the comparison thread too, but thought I might as well throw it at you as it's all fresh in your mind :) did the AI give many penalties away? Or you for that matter?

so has someone from here played rugby challenge or about to? if it is the latter can you please check if there is quick line outs, quick tap penalties, mauls, pick and go any other fundamentals i may have missed:D have fun, lucky

so has someone from here played rugby challenge or about to? if it is the latter can you please check if there is quick line outs, quick tap penalties, mauls, pick and go any other fundamentals i may have missed:D have fun, lucky

If you even bother to read the last couple of pages of this thread you will find that Getofmeland has.

Hmm...

I want to know so, so much but I have no clue what to ask!

Bugger!

I have been following this thread a while and didn't see if there was so am gonna ask. Quick penalties, is that there and is it better than how bad it was done out in rugby 06? And quick lineouts. I know the person above said look back, but i have been and can't be bothered to when someone can take a few seconds and answer me. Appreciated :D

ok, i've had a look at the two gameplay vids of RC and have come up with my own opinion based on watching gameplay and potential seen (obviously actual gameplay may differ but i can only comment on that once i've played it).

Firstly, the graphics and engine look great!!(backbreakers europhim? would have made it awesome) The flow of the game seems smooth and runs well from set-piece to open play. Running angles of AI look very good but 2 v 2 with the lads will be amazing as we can control our own angles of running and when to come back on a switch. Also the offload mechanic is the best by far as the player decides whether to take the risk whenever their arms are free. This will also allow some really good running angles from the centres again in 2 v 2 mode.

The Ruck Area, This is the big debate for everyone as in real life, here's my take on it, its awesome (anything can be improved on but its a very good start). please feel free to correct me if im wrong, Firstly the tackle momentum counts, so if your going forward in the tackle you have precedence on the radar, then comes the decision making.. in the vids the quicker the player could get men to the ruck the more chance of retain/turnover..now the interesting bit...if both users decided to pile the ruck (as in most cases in the vids) the one which has the most acendancy on the radar when all the players are in would win the ruck...why is this good...well it makes sure you only contest heavily the rucks you feel you can win or as in the case of the videos gaps will appear out wide. So ruck strategy will come heavily into play when playing more advanced users.. as in real life you should only contest rucks that you can win or you are wasting energy... you should really only contest isolated players or momentum swinging tackles..if the ruck is going to be lost then you can choose to slow it down by adding more players or leave your players in the defensive line which will mean less gaps for the user in possession... okay I know thats a fair bit for some beginners to take in but I know a lot of people in these forums will be licking their lips with decision making available to them at ruck time and the consequences of those decisions will make this game a classic like JLR... as an attacker if you get quick ruck ball and a defender decides not to commit then you play a short game with forwards and keep momentum going until he has to commit more players and then bang you finish him off with the backs... also if you playing a significantly better team then offloads can play a huge part in your success although again that has its risks.

All in all i will be purchasing this game and spending countless hours with the lads (Mrs aint gonna be happy haha) scoring some fantastic tries and having fun with this game which is what rugby and gaming is all about. I cannot wait to play this game and also RWC11 (I have not seen a gameplay vid of this yet so im not going to make comparisions but I will say their promo vid was disappointing)

Well done Mario and the team, hopefully all the guys on here can contribute even more next year in giving you suggestions for another release :) (i have one minor one which i dont expect to be in this game and that is, when a player has been tackled but no other defenders are about to form a ruck can the attacker pass the ball off the floor to the nearest attacker, this would be technically an offload mechanic meaning the ruck mechanic started a second or so later...i know its small but im sure i'll think of a few more after playing RC for a few months)

I will try and do a proper review once I have played the game...thats if i can drag myself off the xbox to do so :)

Darren

I all for the game play it is the most important thing!! I have Fifa WC 2010 and still play it all the time for this reason, hell Fifa 11 never even makes it into the tray any more. Dam the graphics and presentation takes a dump on most sports ***les on the market! I have a few concerns around the game play but overall it is going to be fun.

^^^ Fifa world cup has more than 20 teams, and more features. When Rugby World cup gains all that i will probably play that regularly, but i want a career mode! ^^^

I wish Rugby Challenge was a club game featuring all club level rugby leagues and tournaments, And HB Rugby was an international one featuring 6 nations trinations, world cup, lions tours, bar-bars and autumn internationals etc. That would be awsome and both games would get great sales!

So it's been confirmed RWC will be release in Canada and USA.

Has anyone heard any rumblings about RC?

Will it have a NA release?

Mario the game looks fantastic. Can't wait to buy it on release and i'm sure it will keep me busy for a long while.

Just two things i have noticed from all the video's being shown and such that I think will really make a difference, should you decide to pursue another rugby game.

1. The only motions that look somewhat out of tune are around the tackle animations. When a tackle animation is initated, you will see that the surrounding players stop all movement and look somewhat bewildered by what is going on around them. This is one of the key area's that rugby games usually suffer, and something that really makes a rugby game feel "right". In this situation, the players surrounding could join the tackle, try and force back players, or even try to steal the ball just as a real scenario would play.

Mauls can be created by players during the tackle animations, or quick rucks that are formed immediatly. Defending players using the (tackle and jackle) technique and such. Might seem like i'm nitpicking, to which i probably am, but it makes a great deal of difference to the game. I also know that the ruck sequence is a significantly hard area to understand and animate. But little things such as larger players ( forwards namely) wiping other players off their feet immediatly, instead of waiting for the the ruck quick time event to happen. Rucks are generally fluid in union with the odd ruck becoming a contest( usually when the attacking player has little support). I guess i'm trying to convey that real rucks happens over 2-10 seconds in which there is significant movement through the entire phase. In pretty much all rugby games, the animations of the winning and losing teams happens after a set period of time. I guess just having the view that players could be eliminated from the rugby at any time during the quick time event would make things look a little more realistic.

2. The kick-offs. Probably one of the key components to the game. With the developments for the last 15 years, seeing players being lifted to catch the ball, seeing players form a protection barrier( illegal, but it happens in every game), and generally seeing very few times in which the kicking players can compete for the ball. What I have noticed in Rugby Challenge is that it doesn't really seem to matter where you kick the ball, an attacking player can pretty much reach the ball before it lands. It's not really viable unless the chasing player is an extremely fast winger.

Just some things I have noticed, you can tell me straight if you think i'm barking up the wrong tree.

thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like a release of 8th September 2011 for UK at least...

I does not matter if it is released in the USA, my copy for PC will be coming from New Zealand as I already reserved mine. I have been waiting for this game for too long... September is going to be a great month with the World cup and the release of two rugby games. This is heaven... I will be on vacation during the world cup watching the world cup at night ( games will be broadcasted between 2.00 am and .00 am central US time) and be playing the game the rest of the day ... I am also going to get rugby world cup for the Xbox that I will buy on a stopover in london sept 1st... The last time I was in London in may i bought Fifa11 for PC not released in the US and F12010 for windows.

Custom data will be able to be shared on PS3.

Don't know if I should get RC for ps3 or xbox 360 will definately get for pc aswell, I live in the US, which one will perform better for online gaming if I want to play someone from another country. Or the same?
Cheers and Salud

Don't know if I should get RC for ps3 or xbox 360 will definately get for pc aswell, I live in the US, which one will perform better for online gaming if I want to play someone from another country. Or the same?
Cheers and Salud

i believe PS3 is not region locked, while xbox is.

might want to think about that

No reigons on the PS3 but I think that both Shide and HB have said that their games are region free on xbox.

Latest posts