• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Simple Question: Who Will Win The World Cup?

I'd love to see the Scots win, the big pasty slow gingers were awesome back in the day, Gavin Hasting was a player and a half.

I can feel a groundswell of support here. Anyone up for a betting syndicate? Wait! Where are you all going?

The way Ireland played in their last two games we may not be meeting them...

Meh, the team looked fit, the defence looked tight for all but the start of the England match. We haven't used the kick chase like we did in the 6nations and we've been holding our cards very close to our chest in attack. Schmidt won't let us underperform in what will be his only World Cup, I still fancy us as the strongest European team, as competetive results have shown us to be over the last two years.

Meh, the team looked fit, the defence looked tight for all but the start of the England match. We haven't used the kick chase like we did in the 6nations and we've been holding our cards very close to our chest in attack. Schmidt won't let us underperform in what will be his only World Cup, I still fancy us as the strongest European team, as competetive results have shown us to be over the last two years.

Add in we don't have to try peak until end of group stages against Italy and France. England are a bit ahead in terms of trying to hit top gear as they need it earlier in their pool. Like you I don't worry too much as Schmidt knows the results of last few games are meaningless and it's more getting structures and game time.

Quarterfinals:

- Southafrica 12 vs England 23
- Australia 47 vs Scotland 18
- Ireland 28 vs Argentina 30
- New Zealand 35 vs France 10

Semifinals:
_Australia 32 vs Argentina 19
_England 6 vs New Zealand 14

Final:
_Australia 20 New Zealand 28

Quarterfinals:

- Southafrica 12 vs England 23
- Australia 47 vs Scotland 18
- Ireland 28 vs Argentina 30
- New Zealand 35 vs France 10

Semifinals:
_Australia 32 vs Argentina 19
_England 6 vs New Zealand 14

Final:
_Australia 20 New Zealand 28
That's way to far mate.

While I broadly agree with the sentiment, what odds would you give to the possibility that they're going to get it wrong somehow and underperform?

Firstly, I don't think you can take any clues from the warm up games because none of the sides will have revealed anything. The smart money says New Zealand, but as history has shown, where the money is counts for nothing once the pool stages are over. Of the seven world cups so far, the tournament favourite has only won three times; 1987, 1999 and 2011

The pool of death could go any way and the 26 September match between England and Wales will be huge.... the loser will have their back to the wall and if England win all their matches, then the Wales v Australia match on 10 October will be like a "round of 16" match at the FIFA world cup; winner progresses, loser gooooone!!

I don't think there has ever been a RWC potentially as close as this one could be. Any of the likely pool qualifiers could beat any other pool qualifier on their day

Wait England were not favourites in 2003? I'm fairly certain they were....

While I broadly agree with the sentiment, what odds would you give to the possibility that they're going to get it wrong somehow and underperform?

Depends on what you define under performing as! Losing to France and New Zealand and out in the quarters is likely enough. Losing to Italy and France won't happen and if we top the group it'd be highly unlikely that Argentina beat us in my opinion. Performance wise I don't see us having a repeat of '07, if not Schmidt then O'Connell won't allow it. So odds on under performing? Technically around evens but most of that is dependant on the France game.

Depends on what you define under performing as! Losing to France and New Zealand and out in the quarters is likely enough. Losing to Italy and France won't happen and if we top the group it'd be highly unlikely that Argentina beat us in my opinion. Performance wise I don't see us having a repeat of '07, if not Schmidt then O'Connell won't allow it. So odds on under performing? Technically around evens but most of that is dependant on the France game.

True enough that. I reckon not making the semi-finals would be an underperformance, that would involve losing to one of France or Argentina, and I think on form over the last couple of years, that wouldn't be exepected.

I fear Ireland under-performing, I really do. I know the last 2 games were just warm ups but they did not inspire confidence at all, quite the opposite in fact. Not what youd expect to see from "no 2 in world rankings". I think if we dont make it to the semis then all this hype about an up and coming Ireland will be just tripe. Ireland need to make it past the quarters or else were just going to go back to the same ol "good team but ****e when it actually matters", forever below a step of the true masters of rugby.

My biggest concern is the France game, not really scared of Argentina (though I reckon it wont be the easiest match if it comes to be) - just so paranoid that France will absolutely turn on and come out in full force (as theyve always tended to do against Ireland, barring this years 6N) and Ireland will succumb to pressure as theyve been so prone to doing in the past. Ireland not winning any matches where we werent in the lead after 50 mins (against Wales England and Australia in no particular order) is a bad sign indeed.

Hate to be the pessimist, Im just so nervous! Doesnt help Ill be watching the France match... in France :(

Anyone care to reassure me? :p

Latest posts