• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Simple Question: Who Will Win The World Cup?

Easy anwer. Scotland

Wales or France from the NH
NZ or Oz from the SH

However wins group A be it Wales or Oz will get to the final and play against NZ or France.

- - - Updated - - -

And thats why they're only 1% favourites

- - - Updated - - -

And I don't think it's an even share of 1% each
Obviously Wales Samoa Fiji & Argentina are stronger than the rest of the field but no one is backing them to win

- - - Updated - - -

No change

Wales are 16/1 with most bookies which gives them a 1 in 17 chance which relates to 5.9%

- - - Updated - - -

After the rugby championships I'd have to rate it like this:

1. NZ still strong favorites, but they are beatable 40% chance of winning.
2. Ireland and England next with 18% each, England nudged slightly higher due to home advantage.
3. Aus and SA 9% each, both strong teams when they're at their best but I can't see either team beating 3 tier 1 nations in a row away from home, they aren't consistent enough for that.
France get 5%, the other teams share 1%.

Wales and France have at least an equal chance as England, Ireland and SA

France haven't a chance. Wales have to be at the top of there game for six matches against Europe's and the SH's best due to their draw, there's no precedent for that so I think it's highly unlikely but they're capable. Ireland are doing things that they have never done before, we're a bit of an unknown entity, if we make the semis which we should I think we'll perform well and have a chance. England don't have a winning mentality or a settled 1st team, Lancaster has a huge challenge ahead of him and I've seen nothing to make me believe he's capable of overcoming it.

So Europe's main hope, mainly thanks to a kind draw, is Ireland with Wales as dark horses. Spectacular things would need to happen for another European challenger in my opinion.

never rule out France they could always surprise you............ ask the ALL BLACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well IMO I believe South Africa May be heading home after the QF match with either OZ Wales or England
Semi Finalists
NZ OZ Wales/England Ireland/France
Wales or England whoever comes out 2nd in the pool
Ireland or France whoever wins the pool

The bookies I've looked at:

NZ at 6/5
England 5/1
SA 11/2
Aus and Ireland 9/1

So they are saying NZ are highly likely, SA and England somewhat off that at ~4 times less likely and Aus and Ireland a little off that. I could agree with that as much as anything else I suppose.

even the new zealand bookies don't favour the all blacks that much. after adjusting for their cut (when two team are equal thy pay back $1.87 per dollar to each team, so I assumed 2/1.87to be their percentage cut) the new zealand bookies have the all blacks at $2.50 = 40%. So they think it is most likely that they won't win. I still think they are generous, but NZ bookies are always biased towards the ABs.

New Zealand lost against Australia before the tournament. So clearly they won't lose for another 2 years now.

The problem about the ABs is their easy pool. They are going to beat Georgia, Tonga and others easily by 80 points, that can lead to the over-confident and be surprised by France or Ireland in the quarter finals. Nothing that hasn't been seen before in a World Cup on European soil

TBF, it could be argued that, apart from the Pool of Death, the other pools are all pretty easy. Italy, Canada and Romania one would think, will likely exit at the Pool stages. Effectively, France or Ireland may find themselves 'undercooked' aswell.

The ABs are quite likely to play their top 15 against Argentina and Tonga, 2 very physical encounters.

The bookies I've looked at:

NZ at 6/5
England 5/1
SA 11/2
Aus and Ireland 9/1

So they are saying NZ are highly likely, SA and England somewhat off that at ~4 times less likely and Aus and Ireland a little off that. I could agree with that as much as anything else I suppose.

France are at 18/1!
Worth putting a few quid on

New Zealand lost against Australia before the tournament. So clearly they won't lose for another 2 years now.

You forgot about the Barnes factor... There's no way we'll be able to dodge him for 2 years after the pool match against Arg....

Southafrica is getting way underrated and I bet they are loving it.

If Australia win, I will be depressed for 4 years. Seriously.

I'd love to see the Scots win, the big pasty slow gingers were awesome back in the day, Gavin Hasting was a player and a half.

Latest posts