• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

How good has he been for Munster? Haven't seen him play at all really. He played a decent bit with Stockdale in his younger years

He's looks a good athlete but hasn't played much for Munster. I presume Schmidt just wants a look. He brings players like that in regularly.

R Kearney; K Earls, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; I Henderson, James Ryan; P O'Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

This is rumoured team

How good has he been for Munster? Haven't seen him play at all really. He played a decent bit with Stockdale in his younger years
Played 8 games and a rake of A games. Was clearly above the standard of A's and has been class when he stepped up to firsts I thought. He got MOTM at home against Leicester, and he's only 21. I'm a huge fan of his. Would have to say Farrell has looked good at 13 since his injury too. He came to us still a bit hardwired to Top 14 style rugby, and made some really costly mistakes, but he's a bit of a rock now.

Not sure which is the best thread for this but I'll leave it here:
"The last time I had a conversation with Eddie he said I was too small, too weak" for international rugby, he said.

"He also said to me that I would never play international rugby playing white boots and that is the reason why I pretty much wear white boots most of the time."
That's what Eddie O'Sullivan thought of Jamie Heaslip. 95 caps for Ireland and 5 for the Lions circus later, it's clear that EOS couldn't have been more wrong. I wish Joe Schmidt or even Declan Kidney had the Ireland squad from 2001-2008. Would have a hell of a lot more to show for that era.

Anyone hear John Muldoon during week. He spoke fantastic at a Q&A thing and was asked about Henshaw. He said Robbie has been average to poor by his own views for Ireland but that part of it is he wants to be a 15. Muldoon got passionate too saying that is his best position and then used what is a classic phrase. "He is like a Ferrari. In the centre it's like pulling trailers. Yes a Ferrari can pull a trailer but for it to live up to it's full potential and happiness a Ferrari shouldn't be pulling a trailer."

Very interesting view

I think 13 outside a playmaking 10 and 12 is Henshaw's best position. It gets him plenty of ball in space, doesn't rely on him to be a playmaker himself and puts him in a key defensive role which he's excellent at. I prefer fullbacks to be gamebreakers like Jordan Larmour or playmakers like Joey Carbery. I don't believe Robbie Henshaw fits that mould.

I think 13 outside a playmaking 10 and 12 is Henshaw's best position. It gets him plenty of ball in space, doesn't rely on him to be a playmaker himself and puts him in a key defensive role which he's excellent at. I prefer fullbacks to be gamebreakers like Jordan Larmour or playmakers like Joey Carbery. I don't believe Robbie Henshaw fits that mould.
Agreed; don't see what makes Henshaw more of a 15 than a centre.

Henshaw played the best rugby of his career so far at 12 for Ireland in 2016, he was probably the best 12 in the world during the EOYT that year. He's been great at 13 with Isa but I'd be unsure as to whether he really has the pace and evasiveness to be great internationally there, I definitely don't see him and Aki working. His defence remains out of this world and is why he'll always be Schmidt's first choice in midfield. As for him at 15, I think he'd be a Rob Kearney clone with a higher tackle percentage at his full potential after a few years mastering his positioning. Definitely not worth it, I'd say he prefers 15 purely because it's more fun, he's a centre through and through. It's also the word of John Muldoon who's in the clueless anti-Schmidt camp from what I've heard and read so it's worth taking with a pinch of salt.

He needs playmakers around him for sure to be fully effective. He does have the aerial ability etc to be a 15, but he's not a back three player in my opinion and we have enough back three players coming through to demand changing a top centre into a 15. I don't think he's been great shakes this season in attack to be honest. He's a top notch defender, which is never in doubt, but he definitely will get more joy with a playmaking 12 inside him. Aki, through no fault of his own is not that, at least not at this level where he won't be allowed make the same breaks and space he has at Connacht.

I really liked someone's suggestion of 10. Sexton 12. Carberry 13. Henshaw; Carberry at 12 is a risk but if it really clicked then that's the best midfield on the planet.

So, injuries are a *****. A lot of things are up in the air against Wales in two weeks. What would you do?

Cian Healy comes back in at loosehead. He and Jack McGrath continue to rotate game to game. 50 minutes for the starter and 30 for the replacement.

Hooker will remain the same.

At tighthead if Tadhg Furlong is out, I'd start John Ryan. He's a more proven commodity than Andrew Porter. Porter offers more off the bench and he should hold the 18 shirt regardless.

Same starting second rows with James Ryan offering impact off the bench.

Backrow depends on whether or not Sean O'Brien plays for Leinster next week. If he plays for at least 30 minutes, 6-7-8 will be O'Mahony, O'Brien, Stander.

Halfbacks pick themselves. I'd go with Luke McGrath as backup scrumhalf because he's built up a relationship with both Joey Carbery and Johnny Sexton. There's very little between Kieran Marmion and McGrath.

Centres will be Bundee Aki and Chris Farrell. If Garry Ringrose plays any part next week for Leinster, he could bench against Wales. I suspect he'll come back in to start against Scotland in round 4.

Back three will stay the same. I'd like to see a vote of confidence in Jordan Larmour and have him remain on the bench for the remaining rounds of the championship.

Team will be:
Kearney, Earls, Farrell, Aki, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Furlong/Ryan, Henderson, Toner/Ryan, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Stander

I mostly agree with the above. Though I'd put Conway on the bench over Larmour if both were available. Honestly, if it were me I'd probably start Conway over Kearney altogether, but we know that's not going to happen. I also think he's almost a better option from the bench because he covers the back 3.

I'd like to see Ringrose make his way back to the squad too, but I'm not sure he'll find it so easy. If Farrell comes in against Wales and has a good game then I think the shirt is his for the time being. Who should get the shirt is up for debate. If you're looking to replace Henshaw then I think you go with Farrell. If you're looking to change up the attacking game then Ringrose is the obvious choice. Despite provincial bias, I'd probably prefer to see Ringrose fill that role. I'm just not as confident that it will happen as some of the Leinster fans.

Much like Youngs' injury for England, I think that the injuries to Furlong and Henshaw will prove to be a blessing in disguise for Ireland. Yes, it puts your Championship in jeopardy but getting some caps (and real caps aswell, not just some game time vs Fiji or Canada) into a tighthead besides Furlong and a centre besides Henshaw is going to do a hell of a lot for your strength in depth.

So, injuries are a *****. A lot of things are up in the air against Wales in two weeks. What would you do?

Cian Healy comes back in at loosehead. He and Jack McGrath continue to rotate game to game. 50 minutes for the starter and 30 for the replacement.

Hooker will remain the same.

At tighthead if Tadhg Furlong is out, I'd start John Ryan. He's a more proven commodity than Andrew Porter. Porter offers more off the bench and he should hold the 18 shirt regardless.

Same starting second rows with James Ryan offering impact off the bench.

Backrow depends on whether or not Sean O'Brien plays for Leinster next week. If he plays for at least 30 minutes, 6-7-8 will be O'Mahony, O'Brien, Stander.

Halfbacks pick themselves. I'd go with Luke McGrath as backup scrumhalf because he's built up a relationship with both Joey Carbery and Johnny Sexton. There's very little between Kieran Marmion and McGrath.

Centres will be Bundee Aki and Chris Farrell. If Garry Ringrose plays any part next week for Leinster, he could bench against Wales. I suspect he'll come back in to start against Scotland in round 4.

Back three will stay the same. I'd like to see a vote of confidence in Jordan Larmour and have him remain on the bench for the remaining rounds of the championship.

Team will be:
Kearney, Earls, Farrell, Aki, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Furlong/Ryan, Henderson, Toner/Ryan, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Stander
The tough call on that is7. Leavy has impressed. Ryan is better impact off bench than Toner. Furlong looks like he will be ok.

Agree with Hanley that Conway may get ahead of Larmour.

On centre it is horses for courses. What suits Schmidt more as Farrell and Ringsose are chalk and cheese.

Farrell may benefit from being in camp.

Happy enough to go conservative against the Welsh. They'll certainly hang around for the full 80 if nothing else, and while they're ultra talented I wouldn't trust the young guns if we were hanging onto a lead. I'm not trying to be too critical on mistake's like Larmour, he'll learn in time, but there's work to be done. Would love to have O'Brien back. No one comes close at 7 honestly. Furlong starts if fit of course, but he's played so much rugby this season for a THP. Interested to see what direction we take at 13. Could parachute Ringrose in, but Farrell is obviously safer and has hit a good vein of form now.

Henshaw confirmed out, Furlong and Conan look like they'll be fit for Wales. Farrell will probably start v Wales and he's more than good enough with Aki for that, Ringrose will hopefully get time v Southern Kings and Scarlets away to get back for Scotland and Wales.

@TRF_Olyy Can you change the ***le of this to 2018 or just make ya boi a mod already?

Latest posts