• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

Any word on SO'B?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Conan would be incredibly useful against Wales specifically. Especially if SO'B was there to take over a lot of Stander's role I feel Conan's hands and offloading would be very valuable, it'd be similar reasoning that would bring Ryan in ahead of Toner.

Any word on SO'B?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Conan would be incredibly useful against Wales specifically. Especially if SO'B was there to take over a lot of Stander's role I feel Conan's hands and offloading would be very valuable, it'd be similar reasoning that would bring Ryan in ahead of Toner.
I could see that it would really add to the attack considering he's that bit faster than CJ, it'd make the line out a hell of a weapon too with Conan and POM. Stander off the bench would be horrible for the opposition. The only worry being if an injury came early we'd be short a 7.

Not a fan of Rob Kearney these days. But will give credit where it's due. Murray Kinsella did superb piece on explanations about how he benefits a team. And will hold hands up when I say there is alot of valid and good points in there. I will say I'd still want him out of team in preference for better attacking player but accept his strengths a bit better now.

And on a side note it's sad how a masterful journalist like Kinsella isn't broadcast as widely as gutter journalists like Ruadhri O'Connor or Paul Kimmage. Even IRFU are having enough and followed Munster stance by denying them a presser after the Italian game.

Was just about to link the piece.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-rob-kearney-ireland-joe-schmidt-3847701-Feb2018/?utm_source=shortlink

I think the best way to sum it up is that he's more of a forwards fullback than a backs one.
Well look we can all read the article. He offsets alot of Stockdale defensive deficiencies. And well he marks the space well and as you say is a forwards 15.
Again I'v said in past Ireland is a system team. Not free flowing rugby to score tries but to make a team submit and force in to mistakes. He fits the bill in that way.
Like Zebo for example would offer more offensively BUT in a system like this Kearney is arguably more effective.

And again must praise how much Murray Kinsella is a top analytic brain of the game

I'm a big fan of Murray Kinsella's analysis. I've been calling for Schmidt to explore other options at 15 for two years now, but the article does a good job of outlining what Kearney brings to the team. It's still a balanced view, as he also talks about Kearney's shortcomings on kick return. His clearances have left a little to be desired lately too, with half of the tries we've conceded in the tournament so far coming partially as a result of a poor kick by Kearney.

Honestly, if Zebo is being ruled out (and I completely agree with that decision) then Kearney is probably our best option at full back currently. I'm just not sure he's still at the level required for us to succeed at a World Cup, whereas I think someone else might get there with enough test experience.

They start camp in Athlone today.
Seems big areas will be:
Does Larmour stay in squad?
What is next for Carbery. Seems there is calls for him to prove he's a 10 at Leinster before being put at 22 due too few poor games over last 12 months.
What centre partnership will be used.
Leinster have confirmed Ringrose and SOB are no gos for weekend.

Does Larmour stay in squad?
What is next for Carbery. Seems there is calls for him to prove he's a 10 at Leinster before being put at 22 due too few poor games over last 12 months.
What centre partnership will be used.
Leinster have confirmed Ringrose and SOB are no gos for weekend.

Don't see why we should cut Larmour, he probably won't be used again during the tournament but there's nothing stopping him learning etc. from being in the environment.

Again don't see it with Carbery, other than his nightmare against the USA I can't think of any genuinely poor performances from him. He should be starting at 10 for Leinster against the Scarlets though.

I'd go for Aki/Farrell with Ringrose .coming into play for Scotland.

Don't see why we should cut Larmour, he probably won't be used again during the tournament but there's nothing stopping him learning etc. from being in the environment.

Again don't see it with Carbery, other than his nightmare against the USA I can't think of any genuinely poor performances from him. He should be starting at 10 for Leinster against the Scarlets though.

I'd go for Aki/Farrell with Ringrose .coming into play for Scotland.
On Larmour there talk he will be left back to Leinster to continue development.

On Carbery there is attacks that he has never done well in last year at 10 and should be made prove himself at Leinster in 10 shirt. Alot ranked his display Saturday as poor and part of reason we collapsed a bit in 2nd half. And the intercept pass where Earls got back was mentioned by Joe as a no no. Which again is tough 1. He has the higher ceiling but will he reach that. Not if he isn't getting regular time at 10. Ross Byrne and Ian Keatley have massively outperformed him as a 10 this season. But that is due partly to injury and him playing 15. But is a healthy debate.

On Ringrose I thought it was reported it unlikely he will play any part now as the more realistic aim is to be fit for Saracens game

Carbery was needed at 15 early in the season, not so much anymore with Rob and Larmour, he'll be back to second choice. It's the only way to build depth and he's the only guy with the potential to be elite in 2019, stick with him.

Keep Larmour in the squad but not necessarily the 23 if Conway gets back.

On Carbery there is attacks that he has never done well in last year at 10 and should be made prove himself at Leinster in 10 shirt. Alot ranked his display Saturday as poor and part of reason we collapsed a bit in 2nd half. And the intercept pass where Earls got back was mentioned by Joe as a no no. Which again is tough 1. He has the higher ceiling but will he reach that. Not if he isn't getting regular time at 10. Ross Byrne and Ian Keatley have massively outperformed him as a 10 this season. But that is due partly to injury and him playing 15. But is a healthy debate.

I think that that's a bit harsh on Carbery, he's only played two games at 10 all season and one of them was off the bench. He was excellent against Fiji and he was good without setting the world alight last week, he didn't stand out either way last week IMO. He'll play for Leinster this week in all likelihood and if he plays well that should end this debate.

Didn't see the Ringrose thing but if he's not going to be fit in time there's sense in rushing him back before he's ready.

I think that that's a bit harsh on Carbery, he's only played two games at 10 all season and one of them was off the bench. He was excellent against Fiji and he was good without setting the world alight last week, he didn't stand out either way last week IMO. He'll play for Leinster this week in all likelihood and if he plays well that should end this debate.

Didn't see the Ringrose thing but if he's not going to be fit in time there's sense in rushing him back before he's ready.
On Carbery bit it not my opinion just basis of few media articles. I'm like Jekyll and Hyde with Alpha but agree with his analysis of Carbery. But do say he needs to play more often at 10 or he will go down JJ Hanrahan route.

On Ringrose. There no point rushing him back. He's had hardly any rugby this season and well is still developing physically. No point rushing him back when it isn't exactly necessary either

We need a 10 ooop north....
Way things are going ye may need more. Heard rumble Jordi Murphy is bit annoyed at possible departure of Gibbes as he was a big part in luring him up. Also Ulster recruitment seems to have went off radar a bit

Way things are going ye may need more. Heard rumble Jordi Murphy is bit annoyed at possible departure of Gibbes as he was a big part in luring him up. Also Ulster recruitment seems to have went off radar a bit

Gibbes for leaving in the summer? Had yet to hear that I'll admit.

Ulster's entire management structure (above the coaches) is up the left. The shower of c**ts can't see beyond their old school ties.

Gibbes for leaving in the summer? Had yet to hear that I'll admit.

Ulster's entire management structure (above the coaches) is up the left. The shower of c**ts can't see beyond their old school ties.
Yeah. Rumours are Cheika has offered him to join up with him at Austrailia. Replacing Ledesma

Joe Schmidt had Niall Scannell in Ath one this week and interestingly has asked he doesn't travel to Cardiff with us

Cooney was a tad unlucky to make it in the first place and Ringrose and Scannell were sure picks for the squad if fit. Ringrose is back very quickly, but he offers what our other 13s don't.

Latest posts