• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Soccer (football) boots vs. American Football cleats

Cooper35

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Hi guys, I'm new to rugby but I've found that as the time goes on It's becoming more and more addicting. For the past few months I've been playing more often and my playing needs now exceed the capabilities of regular athletic shoes. Being in America the selection of rugby boots is naturally low (I've never even seen a pair, even on rugby players).

I've been reading that soccer boots are all right as long as I swap out the studs, but I like the ankle support from American football cleats better. I played American football my whole childhood up until I turned 18 so I'm far more comfortable with cleats, but the toes aren't designed for kicking. I threw on my old worn out pair and I had less control than usual. Soccer boots are designed for kicking obviously but I'm worried that the lack of ankle support could injure me in the long run. I play pretty much all positions, as there aren't really a lot of people to play with, so we switch it up a lot. I did a search but didn't find an answer. Any Americans or Canadians out there have experience with this?

Hi mate!

Glad to see a newcomer to our great sport. If you get soccer boots that have plastic studs such as these ones;
http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-footwear-firm-ground-rugby-boots-adidas-adidas-absolado-x-trx-fg-cleats--black-white-red.html

Then you won't have to swap the studs at all! Soccer boots are pretty much exactly the same as rugby boots. Backs like Daniel Carter, Jonny Wilkinson and Mike Hercus wear these, and we call them "blades".
The alternative is a metal studded boot, which is primarily used by forwards or on really soft ground.
I wouldn't worry so much about the ankle support problem, unless you have really bad ankles. All of the modern rugby and soccer boots are tested so that they provide maximum support around the ankle.

Hope I helped!

Hey there bud,

Right, you mention that you think soccer boots are better than football cleats because you can kick with it?

Well, my question now is, what is your position? and do you really want to kick?

I cannot remember the last time I actually kicked the ball in game, but that's probably because I play hooker.. For me, I think football cleats would do just fine, but if you want to do some kicking, then follow what Haysie said up there. Cheerio

What I did was buying a pair of Adidas rugby boots which costed me like 40 EUR, should be something like 45 US$. Not the biggest expense but quite happy about them.

I think I have been unlucky with boots, my first ever boots for rugby was a gilbert I bought yeaarrss back, although missing some studs, and the colours peeled off, it's actually still very usable - it is now my back-up boots.

However, the one pair that I loved the most was my Adidas Flanker II I think it was, that has accompanied me through most of my international caps, however, just last year it was STOLEN! AAGHH!!! After that, I bought a pair of Gilbert Viper Pro. It barely made it through the summer tournament, and I have to retire them since it basically split opened on both sides.

I just bought myself a Nike Total90 Laser that I got at a massive sale for just $30. Still yet to try them on at a full game since it's off season currently.

So yeah, till now, I still wish that thief dead for taking my Adidas Flanker II..

I wear "soccer" boots when playing Rugby (adidas predator x's) - most backs these days wear soccer boots, and a fair few back rowers wear them as well
I've never seen an american football boot before, so i can't comment on them

Overhere they sell a lot of Kooga rugby boots, not that expensive but didn't give them a try yet.

I wear a pair of Adidas boots designed as an all-purpose Football/Rugby/Ozzie Rules/Whatever (Apparently, they're good for Netball. I also 'Eh?'ed that.) that where relativly cheap (£30 or so) in a local sports shop. Not sure of the name, but they're quite good, although it's very painfull if someonelse stands on your toes, so I'd reccomend some sort of Rugby boot with re-inforced toe caps.

Black boots with big metal studs.

Anything with luminous colour or bladed cleats = **** who'd going to get destroyed by the opposition openside.

I can't believe you bunch of fannies are defending poncy, girly, colourful boots.

So I should get bladed soccer boots and paint them black so I don't look like a "****"? I presume that means something like "overt homosexual".

Don't get blades. If you're a forward you won't get solid footing for scrums or rucking/mauling while if you're a back, you'll have to sidestep a lot faster then they're designed to let your foot go (I.e. for soccer players) so you'll end up breaking your ankle or ripping a tendon.

The laws say your studs have to bed fully metal, so remember that too.

Adidas "Flankers"
are considered very good if you're a forward, while Adidas "nine-15s" are better suited to the backs.

Plus they're a plain design, therefore not [strike]ga[/strike] something Cristiano Ronaldo would ever wear.

Last edited:
I do miss playing rugby sometimes. Ripping backs out of rucks, harassing the outhalf, thems where the days.

I've owned both the Flankers and the Nive-XVs, and can vouch for them both, good quality boots (my nine-xvs lasted two seasons before the sole started coming away from the boot, something that my Gilberts did after about 2months)

Those sound great, but no store around here sells rugby boots. I've checked everywhere I can find within an hour and a half driving time. I think American football cleats would be great for what I need, but since there are so few people to play with, we all have to play several different positions. That is why I was considering soccer boots. I could always just get football cleats with a flat face and just deal with it, after swapping for metal studs of course.

Latest posts