• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

solving player burnout in NH

higgik

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
With the new global season calendar fast coming up, it is time that the unions and clubs in the NH got their act together and produced their plans for the season structure.

There could be a situation where the season runs from September to June, then internationals, meaning August becoming rest and pre-season in one!!

This model is completely unsustainable in both player workload and spectator interest. Sometimes clubs have to realise that less is more.

Mark Evans wrote a piece in October on precisely this issue,
http://www.runningrugby.com/law-and-governance/Endless-Season-Doesn-t-Work-New-Plan-Required/

my radical plan would be
August-Sept 6-Nations (7 weeks)

Sept-Oct international matches, played on a 4 year cycle of RWC, Regional Champs, Lions, Champions Trophy; this would mean there would not be as many 'home, internationals over the cycle, but a better set of match ups. (7 weeks)

Nov-March domestic leagues (maximum of 22 weeks and 20 matches including any play offs)

April ERCC played at a single set of venue, like the RWC. (7 matches over 8 weeks)

This would leave late May and June as recovery and July as preseason for internationals.

Total weeks would be 42 weeks, with 10 weeks off season.

Surely its time to (A) Limit substitutions to a maximum of 2 non injury subs, ie only 2 tactical subs allowed. (B) Limit the size of players there are to many injuries caused by impact subs.
Its ridiculous when you have players the size of Ben Obano playing against players as small as Steff Evans, these super sized lumps are spoiling the game and worse are injuring normal sized classy players out of the game, more and more players are starting to resemble American Football players, the games becoming increasingly boring due to these monstrous gym bunnies.
I'd advocate a general weight limit on backs of 14 and a half stone anyone over that weight is either a forward or can f off to America and play the padded pansy game.

Can't put limits on a guy VC as that is open to punishment to a guy on genetics. Everybody is different. If me and you did exact same routine and started at same level of fitness there would still be a difference in us at end.
On original posters comments that is all well and good but the game is run by commercial interests and that alone before any other issue comes up would be a stumbling block.
If you played champions cup at 1 area over 7 weeks then that also hits clubs income.
There is much to flaws even at brief inspection to even consider it a starter

Surely its time to (A) Limit substitutions to a maximum of 2 non injury subs, ie only 2 tactical subs allowed. (B) Limit the size of players there are to many injuries caused by impact subs.
Its ridiculous when you have players the size of Ben Obano playing against players as small as Steff Evans, these super sized lumps are spoiling the game and worse are injuring normal sized classy players out of the game, more and more players are starting to resemble American Football players, the games becoming increasingly boring due to these monstrous gym bunnies.
I'd advocate a general weight limit on backs of 14 and a half stone anyone over that weight is either a forward or can f off to America and play the padded pansy game.
I think limiting tactical subs is an interesting concept to trial. I would have the same sized bench (maybe 1 less) but only 4 tactical or injury subs (excluding head or blood). You can sub your whole front row on 50 mind if you want but then you'd only have one sub left all game.
Cons are more game mins per player and young players won't get 20mins at the end of games to develop. But hopefully players will reduce in size due to increased fitness needs over 80mins.

For me the response is not about limiting games per team but per player. IR should set a sensible limit of games a player can play per season (agreed by consultation with medical and conditioning experts, NOT clubs and international boards), that limit is non-negotiable under any circumstances and then it's up to the clubs and the international boards to make sure that happens.

What about the summer tour games for England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc?

Most of the OP's suggestions are good, an August Six Nations might upset the traditionalists but can easily be done and its always possible to avoid fixture clashes with other sports (I don't think that Wales Rugby and Cardiff City can play home games on the same day - think there's a rule now that one would have to play on Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday if both have home games over the course of a weekend).

Will you be keeping league numbers the same or limiting them?

What about B teams as well? I know that Wales want to bring back their B Team and use Parc Eirias as their home ground? Would there B room for the B's in your plan?

I'm not so sure it's the number of games - I'd favour greater player rotation and have bigger squads of 30 or more. Yes, I am aware that costs money, but nothing comes cheap these days. Perhaps to alleviate some of this cost, a rule could be enforced that a certain number of the team (starting and subs) have to be HG (Home Grown) and/or U21 (a similar system works with UEFA in their competitions). Younger players would have a path to progress upon, and they'd also not cost the club too much financially.

Still, plenty of food for thought!