Some tips to improve the tackle? Personal experiences or whatever

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Yeah, buddies. I want to read good advice, what is your secret to tackle a bigger player? I don't know, what you want to share. Any story that has happened to you trying to tackling, all are or were rugby players and is good to share our experiences. In this case, the tackle is one of the most important parts of the game, without a good tackle you're not a true rugby player.

Cheers

Think a lot can be learnt from Judo when tackling a larger player. (use their size against them).

Otherwise, most important thing is to go low, and ensure your head is in the correct position (not in danger of being hit by a knee). Doesn't matter how big they are, they can't run without legs.

Oh, and make sure 'low' is low enough to get your arms wrapped, (see lots of tackles on Lomu for 'not low enough').

The tactic nowadays (especially amongst the younger Welsh players) seems to be the 'chop tackle', where you hit as hard as you can around shin level (see Dan Lydiate), but if you get it wrong, it goes reeeeeally wrong.

Always remember to leave your brain in the kit bag before you go onto the pitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, buddies. I want to read good advice, what is your secret to tackle a bigger player? I don't know, what you want to share. Any story that has happened to you trying to tackling, all are or were rugby players and is good to share our experiences. In this case, the tackle is one of the most important parts of the game, without a good tackle you're not a true rugby player.

Cheers

have no fear that's first

Four big things for me are

- Strength - you've got to have the power to make it count, obviously

- Technique - And, no, I don't mean just knowing how to make a perfect somewhat side on chop tackle. You don't always get to do that. It's about being comfortable with what to do if a stronger guy runs straight at you (usually I try to grab hold of something and drag him down with me), or if you need to go high to prevent an offload (basically aim a punch at the opposite shoulder). Footwork and timing is also crucial, knowing when you've got to commit, making sure you're leading off the right foot. And probably a whole bunch of things I don't know. Being fearless does you nothing if you're not technically good and strong, it just gets you injured.

Mentality - Really obvious and...

Communication - Crucial and often unnoticed. Why tackle someone on your own if you can double team them? If you can double team them, who's going low and who's going high? Is your team blitzing or drifting? All of these things can make or break a tackle, be the difference in committing at the right time or too late, or even never at all. Is your inside man going to make it? Or are you the inside man screaming for the other guy to keep pushing? Geech talks about it in his autobiography, about how he and one of his centre partners would be constantly talking to each other.

Oh, also one extremely important one.

Go in 100%. If you go in tentatively, you're more likely to get injured.

I heard a coach once give a great analogy for it, where he referred to 'karate chopping' a piece of wood (which we've all done as kids). If you give it only 50% you're likely to hurt your hand, but if you give it 100% (and aim behind the wood, not at the wood), then you'll break it every time.

Same goes with striking pretty much anything, from a golf ball to a football, to a punch. The target is incidental, it's all about completing the move/swing/punch, with the target being within that movement, but not at the end. (Not sure how much sense that makes sorry :p)

Thanks for the tips, buddies!

It's more important force in the legs, right? To improve my tackle, I should train my legs harder but leg training is something that costs me a lot, because if I train my legs very heavy, then I can't go running to keep fit, must rest 2 or 3 days after a hard session legs.

Cheers

Not neccesarily. It helps, but its not vital.

Also, if you can't run after a heavy legs session, dial it down until your legs can build up that amount of muscle, and make sure you stretch out properly.

Your body will adapt to training your legs. If you regularly train your legs then you will pretty much eliminate muscle soreness and should only need a days recorvery before being able to run again.
On that day you can do cardio that doesn't involve your legs so much.

For tackling a player alot bigger then yourself, a method called the 'J' works very well for me. You line them up and get low for a front on tackle, but to avoid getting buldozed you step to the side of the big man and smash the side of there leg with your shoulder. The movement is in the shape of a J, hence the name. The timing of when to reposition must be perfect though. This stops the bigger man being able to bump you off

Pull his shorts down. He can't run with them around his ankles, and he'll have to drop the ball to pull them back up.

;)

das

no player no matter how big he is can run without his legs, get his ankles together and he will go no where.

Start training on Astroturf - eveything hurts like hell, you look like you've just survived a plane crash, so tackling is not the problem;)...apart from that, low and use your speed and momentum - don't wait for the guy - go and get him!

Basic principle is Low and hard will bring him down as Jesta described it.But it also depends on where you as the tackler is in relation to the runner,whether you want to hold the ball up and many other variables , gosh I miss those days....