• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

Gatland lost that, poor captain, poor tactics, poor selections.

Except that if Williams had executed that overlap we'd probably have been celebrating a series win. Sounds harsh but you can't blame the coaching staff when a player fails to execute u12 skills.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but also a number of our star forwards, whose selections most would have agreed with, didn't have the impact throughout the series that we might have hoped. After a star first test against an undercooked Boks Itoje's influence was uneven, Furlong was quiet and Curry's series wasn't the way he'd have dreamt it.

As well as the series let's not forget that we also lost the unofficial 4th test against SA 'A'.

Now I've calmed down a bit..... fair play to SA they hadn't played for however long which shows how poor the Lion's were.

But.

The Lion's didn't really form a game plan with settled combinations. Don't really blame the players or the coaches for this, COVID played a part, along with the poor quality of opposition in the warm up games which were I'm hindsight totally pointless exercises.

Hope this virus does one soon, win or loose I love the Lion's tours but that wasn't enjoyable on any level.

Except that if Williams had executed that overlap we'd probably have been celebrating a series win. Sounds harsh but you can't blame the coaching staff when a player fails to execute u12 skills.

You're just not trying hard enough.

Clearly Williams didn't pass because of the conservativism beaten into him be Gatland.

Not as disappointed at losing that one than I expected. Well done SA. See ya in 12 years. Hopefully, next Lions tour will be play some better quality rugby.

The Saffas had a slight edge in the scrum and that was the series. Porter and Healy might have helped if they'd toured.

Disappointing tour all told. The 2009 tour had everything. We got to watch 30 men walk (slowly) from set piece to set piece on this one.

It will be nice to have a different coach onboard for 2025. The blind spot Gatland has for certain players (or player types) has always been grating.

You're just not trying hard enough.

Clearly Williams didn't pass because of the conservativism beaten into him be Gatland.
Whilst we can jokeabout the conservatism it should be noted he was only put in that position because Russell saw the overlap. I think we can safely say Biggar or Farrell would of butchered it before Williams.

Honestly tour went more or less how I expected it to, the first test was a bit of a shock but once SA worked out how to fake injuries to stop being gassed it was all over.

I just wish we picked the players who had something about them and made a team of them instead if predetermined compromises everywhere.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but also a number of our star forwards, whose selections most would have agreed with, didn't have the impact throughout the series that we might have hoped. After a star first test against an undercooked Boks Itoje's influence was uneven, Furlong was quiet and Curry's series wasn't the way he'd have dreamt it.

As well as the series let's not forget that we also lost the unofficial 4th test against SA 'A'.
Pretty sure the rolling maul almost over the line, except for Curry detaching and wrestling someone off the ball was more of a certain try.

Both poor for different reasons though.

Gatland has always had one gameplan, bludgeon. It was reasonably reliable when he has the players to do it and everyone knew their role and did it accurately. He has never been an innovator though.

Pretty sure the rolling maul almost over the line, except for Curry detaching and wrestling someone off the ball was more of a certain try.

Both poor for different reasons though.
The try looked favourable and no arguments that Curry made a mistake. But for a back to have a 2 v 1 like that with the game where it was at the time it really should be executed every time at all levels of the game. Williams deserved to start ahead of Hogg, but when he had the opportunity he bombed it equally well.

Latest posts