• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 3

At the very least it puts the "Greatest Lions coach" talk to bed. 1 win (against by far the weakest team the Lions have played in the pro era), 1 draw (with plenty to discuss too) and 1 loss.

In all honestly Gatland has brought some much needed modernisation to the Lions and made them compeititve again after the disaster that was the 00s but past time for a new direction at this stage.

Unfortunately finn Russell's brilliance and class cannot make up for the stupidity of the other 14 men and entire coaching setup..

Harsh for AWJ on his last tour, however tests at this level are won on fine margins. If a chance arises you have to take it. Compare and contrast if you will. Williams has a clear 2 on 1, all he has to do is offload to Adams (bread and butter for all levels, and some of the first things we learn in the game. Draw the last tackler, square them up and offload for your team mate to run it in). He took ball into contact. Then SA get exactly the same chance and Willie Le Roux and Kolbe take it....On such tests such moments mean everything and affect many things.

Agree - but I go back to the fact that with a more proactive gameplan we would be creating more chances like that and eventually, taking some.

It's just insane that we scored 2 tries in 3 games - both driving mauls.

It doesn't make sense to me - if we were always going to play this way, why take on tour the guys who generated excitement because of what they could do on the so-called hard South African surfaces...

I know he was in dodgy form, but if this was the plan, take Binny.

AWJ is clearly gutted. He was borderline losing it when contesting the Kolbe try. He knows this is the last go around.

Lions would have won the series if Hugo Keenan started all 3 tests at 15. Genuinely. Of Halfpenny for that matter.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Keith Earls on the wing would have been a huge upgrade too.
Honestly Rob ******* Kearney mate and we would have won 3 - 0. Jeez, get brother Dave in for teh lolz if you want. If you just want someone who can catch...

The commentary at times is terrible how is it impressive to win having not played for a while, the lions only play together every 4 years honestly….

I'm so so sick of the love in for that guy
I used to be a big fan but the quality of his content took a real nose dive once he went from putting out a real deep dive of a video once every couple of months to having to crank out a video every week once it became his living.

Gatland lost that, poor captain, poor tactics, poor selections.

So glad he's gone now.

Agree - but I go back to the fact that with a more proactive gameplan we would be creating more chances like that and eventually, taking some.

It's just insane that we scored 2 tries in 3 games - both driving mauls.

It doesn't make sense to me - if we were always going to play this way, why take on tour the guys who generated excitement because of what they could do on the so-called hard South African surfaces...

I know he was in dodgy form, but if this was the plan, take Binny.
Kripke I agree. When I saw Gats selection, bringing in Russell, Simmonds, Henderson, Tadgh Beirne. Putting Daly at 13, taking a chance with LRZ, and then calling up Smith I thought he was going to take SA on at their weakest, and that is fast pace, high ball in play time. Yes not taking, Danny Care (the form 9 this season), May, Earles would of helped matters...if he had used that style. But he reverted to type. Yet when Russell played today, when Simmonds and LCD joined the fray the Boks were struggling. The shame is it took a injury to Biggar (who was horribly limited in this series) to make us see what could of been.

Gats biggest mistake was being Gats...If he had expanded his game plan maybe things would of been different. But the old adage "ifs and buts" comes to mind :)

Wasn't one of squidge's early videos calling osprey's DOR depressed? Like that's some reckless speculation

Latest posts