• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: South Africa v England -2nd Test. (16/06/2012 15:00GMT)

Can anyone tell me what on Earth happened to Foden? He used to be everywhere, almost impassable in defence and was deadly on the counter. Today and even last week (okay, out of position) he rarely even touched the ball!

I hope we don't send out a B team in PE like we did in the dead rubber against the Lions. They should be hungry for whitewashing the English and crushing them up front and in the try count.

Morne can seriously f**k right off. Used to be able to tolerate him just because at least he kicked every goal, but now he adds absolutely nothing.

If Lambie is o.k, he has to come in for him.

That would be my only change for the starting XV.

And WTF is Oliver doing being on the bench? Let alone the squad.....

POSS TEAM FOR NEXT WEEK IMHO
1. Corbisiero
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Palmer
5. Botha
6. Haskell
7. Robshaw
8. Waldrom
9. Dickson
10. Farrell
11. Strettle (Wade if he's fit)
12. Flood
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Foden (poss Abendanon depending on how he travelled and midweek)

Farrell and Flood so we have bettter distribution in midfield
Dickson probably as good as Youngs so get him some experience
DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT TAKE THE BLOODY BALL STANDING STILL

I was hoping Steyn would miss that last kick, how much more will he miss before they realize someone else needs to kick? We didn't play that well in the second half, but at least we improved from the first match, I think Meyer is going to stick with the same XV (we can only hope Morne will be dropped, or atleast someone else will be assigned kicking duties)

Well for a start theres no longer any excuse to waste spaces on stop-gaps like Mears. Fine, he has some experience at this level but now that we've lost we may as well just chuck all our young guys in at the deep-end and tell them to play. I say that but the coaches will stay want to win and to dothat you play your best team.
I'd say bring in Care to start with Youngs as an impact sub. Bring in the Hask at 6 for Johnson. Give Waldrom a start? Seems to be counter to what I'm saying about playing young guys.

Backline - Tuilagi on the wing? Allen - Joseph midfield? Tom Youngs onto the bench in place of Mears. Palmer to start instead of Botha. Wade worth a shot? Meh. I don't have any answers really.

DAMM!

Personally I'd try a different approach. If we only think Hartley can play for 70 mins, start Mears and take him off after 10-20 mins, or do the same with Youngs.

Plus we should play to win. We won't have another opportunity to beat SA away until after the next word cup.

Right, a few initial thoughts:

1. I'm beginning to agree with people saying that Robshaw is the future for England in the 7 'fetcher' role. Some of his breakdown work was pretty darn good today.
  2. Having a prop who doesn't really cover both sides of the scrum on the bench seems so risky. That 5 or so minutes that Cole was off the pitch with blood was nerve-wracking. Thank god there was no scrum while he was off the pitch.
  3. Marler obviously came into the squad in top form after great performances for Harlequins, but he has looked less effective against SA. Corbisiero on the other hand looked pretty good when he came on today so he might be in for a recall.
  4. Johnson didn't look as good as in game 1 today, and is it just me, or does he look a bit too small? Maybe that's only because he was up against Alberts, Spies etc... Anyhow, I think Haskell really does need to come into the equation next week.
  5. I feel what makes SA's forwards' carrying so effective is not only their size, but because their handling seems so consistently good. This contrasts to the handling of England's forwards, who seemed to knock it on often. Also, Hougaard gets his big men running onto the ball, whereas the English carriers all seemed to be standing still when receiving the ball to take into contact.
  6. Mauritz Botha. This man is really starting to p*** me off. Needless penalties, and as has been noted on here, he just seems to flop off tackles. Please Lawes, please come back!
  7. Finally, while on the subject on tackles. What the hell is this american football style tackle that a number of English players seem to be using (Offenders include Botha, Hartley and Johnson)? Just tackle the damn guy properly!

Johnny May has gone out to replace George Lowe, so I say stick him straight in.

Corbs, Hartley, Cole
Palmer, Parling
Haskell, Robshaw, Waldrom
Care, Flood
May, Allen, Tuilagi, Ashton
Foden

Gray, Doran-Jones, Robson, Morgan, Youngs, Farrell, Joseph

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Corbs, Hartley, Cole
Palmer, Parling
Haskell, Robshaw, Waldrom
Care, Flood
May, Allen, Tuilagi, Ashton
Foden

Gray, Doran-Jones, Robson, Morgan, Youngs, Farrell, Joseph

looks decent IMO.

No chance of seeing it, mind...

haha what's the point of Waldrom being such a fat pie if Pietersen can just shove him out like that? That white jersey is extremely unflattering for him, even the props look better in it than him.

I don't know why anybody has ever repped you before, you talk complete gash. And why turn it into a personal thing against a player?

Anyway, a shame we couldn't pull it off, but we didn't particularly deserve it. As I said before, shame we only play when down and out. Although we created a few more opportunities this week the improvement wasn't enough really.

My main disappointment this tour so far has been the number of good premiership players who haven't quite made the step up yet. Partly I'm referring to the mid week game where I though Joe Gray, George Robson, Carl Fearns and a couple of others didn't really deliver against a semi-professional team. From our first 15, I'm a tad disappointed that Marler hasn't brought much of what makes him stand out to the international game. Corbisiero is a class above from the evidence so far.

I'm glad to see we have a front row to be proud of, but the lack of hookers to back up or even just put pressure on Hartley is troubling us. I can't be sure but I have a feeling the statistics won't be too kind to Hartley today, he seemed to fall off a number of tackles too easily. For now I hope Joe Gray has a good showing if he plays midweek and I' really like to see Tom Youngs push on.

I'm concerned that the coaching staff might be talkign themselves into thinkig Johnson is a long-term option at 6. I have been impressed with him, but I doubt he has the allround game to take us where we want to go. Still, he plays with heart and runs some decent lines.

I know Joseph is quality but I don't think I saw it today. The midfield was arguably worse than last weeks.

Last edited:
I've got a question for the English fans, after the 6 Nations and the past two weeks, what are your guys' thoughts on Lancaster?

Has the right ideas but seems easily swayed by his assistants...

Boring, negative rugby through Farrell.
Complete lack of unity and tactically clueless through Catt.

He needs Brian Ashton.

I'm **** faced and plan to get even more so but a few thoughts.
- Morne, what are you doing in the team if you can't even place kick.
- Etzebeth my boy.
- Meisiekind has no place in this team.
- Spies offers us nothing other than a third line-out option.
- Lambie needs a shot at fly-half, because he doesn't offer anything from the back.

Lancaster seems ok but still to see if he and the coaching team have a plan b. After watching the game twice I'm still not sure what tactics we were trying to impose on SA. At altitude you would have thought a decent kicking game would have been important with field position being a priority especially with the ussually good kicking of Steyn, but then selection didnt indicate a kicking game. We tried to run the ball from deep a few times but never really commited to any gameplan.

Ask JJ maybe the plan was to run the ball out of the 22 by 5 feet kick it to Pietersen and then fall off a tackle (harsh but fair)

My thoughts on the game...

We did enough in the first 40 to get the win. Second half England had to play catch-up rugby at altitude and got tired, then gave away needless penalties and missed tackles which led to Pietersen's try and put the final nail in England's coffin.

2 games in a row that Morne's kicking has let him down, time to step away and give another guy a chance, that being said, as Nick Mallet pointed out all year round with the super rugby tournament and now the tests, all kickers all of a sudden have a problem kicking at goal from the right hand side.

Hougaard was crisp and brilliant at scrumhalf today.

Etzebeth has made that 4 jersey his own again today.

Spies had a good game, solid in the line out, even disrupted the english lineout. Had some great carries and just showed a bit more confidence.

Our wingers was explosive!!!

Lastly, Allain Rolland, thankyou NH for consistantly sending us shitty refs... Luckily for ONCE we got the bad calls in favour of us.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Ah thanks Mite, that means atleast you guys are better off than you were previously and it does look like England has a lot of potential.

Missed this game, managed to reset the alarm clock and then fell asleep again :(

I've got a question for the English fans, after the 6 Nations and the past two weeks, what are your guys' thoughts on Lancaster?

Jury's still out but I was encouraged by today's selection. However, that was the first truly encouraging thing he's done for me.

Right now the only thing we know about him is that he seems to have the players' heads in the right place. It's very hard to grasp what his overall tactical plan is, as so far he's been quite pragmatic in his selections, but frequently talks about an expansive game. To a certain extent that's natural from a new coach building a squad I guess, but it's not easy to judge.

I guess I've seen enough this tour to be a bit more optimistic than I was, but he's still got a lot to prove imo, in terms of tactics, selection, and marrying the two together.

Seems like a nice guy, but he has been unlucky in both his coaching staff selections and player injuries in the 6 nations and this SA tour.

Also I reckon he has made some bad selection calls, e.g. Youngs over Dickson.

And doesn't seem to have a clear vision of how he wants the team to play.

Interesting game. The Boks certainly deserved the win, but it wasn't the "smashing" that some Boks supporters had predicted (though perhaps could have been had South Africa kept up their momentum, and Morne Steyn had kicked a few more goals...).

The Boks again dominated up front for much of the match (though Cole caused Mtawarira some problems at scrum time later in the game). du Plessis was strong, and Etzebeth showed how he belonged in test rugby (not that there was ever any doubt!). Marler doesn't look quite ready for test rugby to me, but I quite like the look of Parling, who seems to be a very solid player (not convinced on Botha though). Alberts had a couple of good runs, but in general was much quieter than last week, and also missed a couple of tackles. Coetzee looked good again, but I actually think Spies was the pick of the loose trio this week. He was great in the lineout, did a lot of work at the breakdown, and made a number of strong runs. Robshaw had another busy game, but I thought he missed far too many tackles (which is very unusual for him). Johnson was solid again. Morgan made a few good runs, but was generally pretty quiet, while similarly Waldrom made a number of strong runs when he came on, but did make a few basic errors. I really feel England are lacking in strong ball runners in their pack: for the last two weeks only two players have consistently made it past the advantage line with ball in hand: Morgan and Waldrom, and given they are both 8's haven't been on the field at the same time. In contrast South Africa have had numerous forwards who have been able to create go-forward ball for the team - du Plessis, Etzebeth, Coetzee, Alberts, Spies - which has meant creating go-forward ball for their backs has been much easier! Not sure what the solution is for England, but they really need to get some strong ball runners in their pack in my opinion.

Hougaard had a much better game that last week, but Steyn was poor - not only with his goal-kicking, but with his general play kicking. Not sure what the issue is with Steyns kicking. I remember watching him practicing goal-kicking before Highlanders v Bulls match in Dunedin: he placed the ball on the goal-line 5m from the corner flag, then aimed at the nearest post. It was phenomenal watching him, because about 50% of the time he actual hit the single upright he was aiming at, while the rest of the time he was at most 2-3 metres away. In contrast the reserve goal-kicker (not sure who it was) wasn't even getting close to hitting the posts. During the match however, Steyn missed a number of easy shots at goal: obviously something is very different in match situation than at practice (pressure?).

Youngs was better than last week, but still had a very mixed game. He was involved in all three of Englands tries (scoring 2 and taking the quick tap to setup the other), but his distribution and option taking remains questionable. Tuilagi was solid at 12, as was Joseph at 13, though he didn't get many chances. Ben Foden looked dangerous at times for England, but the only outside back that really stood out for me from either team was Pieterson. He hasn't really impressed me all season, but he was outstanding all game: brilliant on attack, and solid in defense. I wasn't sure of his position in the team leading up to this match, but he looks to have secured it for a while longer with that display!

What the f#ck is up with Spies?? He is so big but yet runs like 10 metres side-ways and only gains 2-3 metres headward! Must just be dropped and put Keagan Daniel in his place!

I said dis last week and I'll say it again! Morne Steyn must just make place for Lambie cos its not like we losing anything(including goalkicking) in actual fact we might be gaining even better!

Latest posts