TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
SPRINGBOKS SQUAD (vs Wales, Scotland, England)
Props:
Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks) – 13 caps
Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers) – 56 caps
Vincent Koch (Saracens) – 28 caps
Ox Nché (Cell C Sharks) – 6 caps
Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 51 caps

Hookers:
Joseph Dweba (Bordeaux Bègles) – 1 cap
Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears) – 43 caps
Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Stormers) – 45 caps

Locks:
Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks) – 53 caps
Eben Etzebeth (Toulon) – 94 caps
Salmaan Moerat (DHL Stormers) – Uncapped
Marvin Orie (DHL Stormers) – 7 caps

Loose forwards:
Siya Kolisi (captain, Cell C Sharks) – 60 caps
Kwagga Smith (Yamaha Júbilo) – 16 caps
Marco van Staden (Leicester Tigers) – 9 caps
Duane Vermeulen (Ulster) – 58 caps
Jasper Wiese (Leicester Tigers) – 8 caps

Utility forward:
Franco Mostert (Honda Heat) – 48 caps

Scrum-halves:
Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers) – 18 caps
Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) – 18 caps
Grant Williams (Cell C Sharks) – Uncapped

Fly-halves:
Elton Jantjies (NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes) – 41 caps
Handre Pollard (Montpellier) – 57 caps

Midfielders:
Lukhanyo Am (Cell C Sharks) – 23 caps
Damian de Allende (Munster) – 55 caps
Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles) – 48 caps

Outside backs:
Aphelele Fassi (Cell C Sharks) – 2 caps
Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz) – 70 caps
Makazole Mapimpi (Cell C Sharks) – 22 caps
Sbu Nkosi (Cell C Sharks) – 25 caps

Utility backs:
Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) – 14 caps
Frans Steyn (Toyota Cheetahs) – 71 caps

Feel for the Du Preez twins - thought for sure that the Boks would mix things up a bit this tour and they'd get some game time.

I like Jasper Wiese a lot, but surely DdP is worth a look at 8?
and JL covering lock and backrow, with how injury prone the Bok Locks are, would be useful

Just hoped at least Roos would also be in there. Is this the start of our building phase?

Disappointed not to see the following

Evan Roos
Elrigh Louw
Tyrone Green

Is Nico Janse Van Rensburg dropped or injured?

I wonder if they are holding off the rebuilding until after 2023 World Cup and stick with the players they already have until then.

Duane V only has 58 caps? Surprised at that. He's been a Bok for ages or feels like it.

Feel for the Du Preez twins - thought for sure that the Boks would mix things up a bit this tour and they'd get some game time.

I like Jasper Wiese a lot, but surely DdP is worth a look at 8?
and JL covering lock and backrow, with how injury prone the Bok Locks are, would be useful
Just hoped at least Roos would also be in there. Is this the start of our building phase?
Disappointed not to see the following

Evan Roos
Elrigh Louw
Tyrone Green

Is Nico Janse Van Rensburg dropped or injured?

I wonder if they are holding off the rebuilding until after 2023 World Cup and stick with the players they already have until then.
I remember reading that NJvR and RG Snyman were "out of contention".

Front row is fine. Between Koch and Nyakane he is covered. Personally I prefer Louw over Du Toit but that is splitting hairs. Happy with our hookers as is.

A lock Etzebeth and De Jager it'll have to be. I hope we have Mostert and Moerat deputize. The continued selection of Orie astounds me to be frank. I'd have him as 3rd choice at just the Stormers/ Bit of a weird one.

Looks like we are sticking with the boys that did duty in the B&I tour and RC. I like Van Staaden being there. Kwagga Smith is growing on me but still I am not totally convinced. Also think one of the Du Preez bro's or one of Roos or Louw would've been a welcome inclusion especially as I feel Mostert should stick to being used as our benched lock.

De Klerk and Hendrickse out injured I'm fine with the halves selected. Current Pollard and Elton Jantjies at 10.. lets just say I'm not at 100% confidence. I rate Willemse but him at 10 at the top level also doesn't fill me with confidence. Not that he can't do the job, he just has been so messed about I don't trust he is in form at 10.

Fair enough on the midfielders and utility backs.

How Le Roux has been put in ahead of Gelant is the big one for me. Kolbe is out, fine. Its not as if Gelant and our other wing options aren't experienced players. Gelant doesn't give away anything ITO play making compared to Le Roux and is a more reliable player. Also solid on D and positioning. Gelant for me is the player with the most right to feel aggrieved. He was on fire 2020 in local comps and I felt has shown enough form coming back from long term injury to warrant re-inclusion with exciting prospect Fassi to cover wing and fullback and get eased in.

Don't feel we need a "rebuilding" phase as such. Our 2019 RWC team was and is still quite young. But I really thought we'd see the back of Le Roux from here on out between Gelant and Fassi and at a pinch Kolbe.

Injured/ otherwise unavailable players who stood a reasonable chance for selection:

Frans Malherbe
RG Snyman
Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg
PS du Toit
Faf de Klerk
Jaden Hendrickse
Johan Goosen
Cheslin Kolbe

Feel like not capping Tyrone Green is a mistake - Le Roux is old and bad and you're missing Kolbe too
He would solve both those issues

The coach said he wants to win all 3 games, so I doubt we would see new players getting game time,maybe a few mins of the bench

Honestly I could see the SA management viewing Roos and Louw more for post RWC.
Same with Green
Vermeulen and Le Roux are prob in their final 2 years of International rugby.

The boks coaches would've a really good idea of this squad after the recent B&I lions tour and Rugby Championship, I just don't see them making too many left field calls now.

Orie shouldn't be in the squad. Certainly not over JP du Preez as a lock or having Mostert focus at lock with Louw or Dan Du Preez coming in for the back row.
Would've gone with Esterhuizen over Kriel also, Esterhuizen is in his prime years and playing like it.

Honestly I could see the SA management viewing Roos and Louw more for post RWC.
Same with Green
Vermeulen and Le Roux are prob in their final 2 years of International rugby.

The boks coaches would've a really good idea of this squad after the recent B&I lions tour and Rugby Championship, I just don't see them making too many left field calls now.

Orie shouldn't be in the squad. Certainly not over JP du Preez as a lock or having Mostert focus at lock with Louw or Dan Du Preez coming in for the back row.
Would've gone with Esterhuizen over Kriel also, Esterhuizen is in his prime years and playing like it.
Esterhuizen is a player I would like to see back with the Boks sometime.

Feel like not capping Tyrone Green is a mistake - Le Roux is old and bad and you're missing Kolbe too
He would solve both those issues
Let Roux is still considered a catalyst on Attack especially by the coaches they will be hard-nosed about this an he will be picked for the next world cup if fit.
Green is not on the radar and there are too many wings playing locally that would be ahead of him that's not picked for the squad.

Yaw penxe
Warrick Gelant
Cornell Hendrickse

To name a few but I rate Green higher than the named mentioned above but much lower than the players who made the squad such as Fassi, Nkosi, Mapimpi.

Esterhuizen is a player I would like to see back with the Boks sometime.
It's clear Rassie/Jac prefer and trust certain players over others regardless of performance.

Rassie's biggest strength was emotional intelligence. Clearly he doesn't like something with some of these guys.

I remember reading that NJvR and RG Snyman were "out of contention".

Front row is fine. Between Koch and Nyakane he is covered. Personally I prefer Louw over Du Toit but that is splitting hairs. Happy with our hookers as is.

A lock Etzebeth and De Jager it'll have to be. I hope we have Mostert and Moerat deputize. The continued selection of Orie astounds me to be frank. I'd have him as 3rd choice at just the Stormers/ Bit of a weird one.

Looks like we are sticking with the boys that did duty in the B&I tour and RC. I like Van Staaden being there. Kwagga Smith is growing on me but still I am not totally convinced. Also think one of the Du Preez bro's or one of Roos or Louw would've been a welcome inclusion especially as I feel Mostert should stick to being used as our benched lock.

De Klerk and Hendrickse out injured I'm fine with the halves selected. Current Pollard and Elton Jantjies at 10.. lets just say I'm not at 100% confidence. I rate Willemse but him at 10 at the top level also doesn't fill me with confidence. Not that he can't do the job, he just has been so messed about I don't trust he is in form at 10.

Fair enough on the midfielders and utility backs.

How Le Roux has been put in ahead of Gelant is the big one for me. Kolbe is out, fine. Its not as if Gelant and our other wing options aren't experienced players. Gelant doesn't give away anything ITO play making compared to Le Roux and is a more reliable player. Also solid on D and positioning. Gelant for me is the player with the most right to feel aggrieved. He was on fire 2020 in local comps and I felt has shown enough form coming back from long term injury to warrant re-inclusion with exciting prospect Fassi to cover wing and fullback and get eased in.

Don't feel we need a "rebuilding" phase as such. Our 2019 RWC team was and is still quite young. But I really thought we'd see the back of Le Roux from here on out between Gelant and Fassi and at a pinch Kolbe.
I am fine with Kwagga too though i think Dan du Preez would have made a better nr 8 backup and successor to Duane but it seems the du Preez twins is out the picture at the moment.

Jean Luc would have brought utility to the forwards.

They now had a chance to train with the coaches for Two months? One on one experiences Nienaber will have a good idea of what level everyone is and it seems they could not impress him enough to crack the nod. I am surprised by this but it is what it is.

Gelant is doing well but I think it will serve him well long term if he can continue building form with his franchise for now instead of carrying tackle bags at the Springbok practice.

I like Marco van Staden but feel that Marcell Coetzee is the better player. Not by my much anymore it seems, Coetzee used to be a demonic tackler now he is more alrounded but also unfortunately a tad more passive on defence.

It's clear Rassie/Jac prefer and trust certain players over others regardless of performance.

Rassie's biggest strength was emotional intelligence. Clearly he doesn't like something with some of these guys.
Yea I'm thinking in similar ways, but it goes two fold.

The first is the players he called up to camp, observed in training and did not select to make the starting team in either the Lions Games or the rugby Championship must win games (which was almost all of them). If he has called them to train with the group and did not select them then I trust his judgment as I believe he would have given them a fair judge, for the moment atleast. We trust in Nienaber.

The second is the players which many think should be given a chance but is continually ignored, here I feel that they should atleast be called up to the squad to be evaluated against their peers and biggest rivals for squad positions.

These players include
Evan Roos
Marcel Coetzee
Johan Goosen (mentioning him as a proverbial choice as he is injured long term now)
Jan Serfontein
Andre Esterhuizen
Wandile Simelane

Yea I'm thinking in similar ways, but it goes two fold.

The first is the players he called up to camp, observed in training and did not select to make the starting team in either the Lions Games or the rugby Championship must win games (which was almost all of them). If he has called them to train with the group and did not select them then I trust his judgment as I believe he would have given them a fair judge, for the moment atleast. We trust in Nienaber.

The second is the players which many think should be given a chance but is continually ignored, here I feel that they should atleast be called up to the squad to be evaluated against their peers and biggest rivals for squad positions.

These players include
Evan Roos
Marcel Coetzee
Johan Goosen (mentioning him as a proverbial choice as he is injured long term now)
Jan Serfontein
Andre Esterhuizen
Wandile Simelane
Out of that list, only Roos has a shot to be included before RWC2023. And Roos and Louw need all the URC experience they can get. They can be called into the Bok camp during summer 2022 and still feature during the RWC.

I don't see Thor being included in the RWC2023 squad unless it's as a veteran presence. He will be 37 by that time and I think his move to Ulster was a passing of the torch to Louw ascending to the #8 jersey.

If Thor is not a factor, then you have 8 jersey and two more loose forwards up for grabs. Weise, Kwagga, Van Staden all have gotten cracks. But honestly, I could see all three not making the RWC2023 side for different reasons. If I was a betting man, Kwagga would be my top choice of those three because of his versatility and fetching ability. A big knock on all three is their height and inability to be a lineout option. That's why Louw at 6'5" and Roos at 6'4" must be appealing to the Bok coaching staff.

If we go with 5 loose forwards and everyone is fit, I expect it to be:

6 - Siya
7 - PSDT
8 - Louw/Roos
21 - Kwagga

Latest posts