• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 15 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
oh god help us if that's the team. O'Driscoll as an either/or after the 6N he's had up to now, no sign of Ferris who's been the form backrow player of the tournament alongside Parisse. Hartley hasn't even started a test for England, Jenkins will be the loosehead not tight. You have Worsley and Rees in ahead of Martyn Williams, some strange selections to say the least, I'm surprised you haven't gone all out and put Ellis in at scrum half![/b]

agreed.

My squad of 38 (1st team in bold)

Props - Jenkins, Sheridan, Murray, Jones, Vickery

Hookers - Mears, Flannery, Best

Locks - Jones, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Hines

Back rows - Ferris, Croft, Williams, Wallace, Heaslip, Jones, Haskell, Taylor

Scrum Halves - Phillips, Blair, Peel

Fly Halves - Jones, O'Gara, Wilkinson (!)

Centres - Henson, O'Driscoll, Shanklin, Roberts, Flutey

Wings - Williams, Halfpenny, Fitzgerald, Cueto

Fullbacks - Byrne, Armitage, Kearney

If I was sizing it down to 36 (which I think is what McGeechan's taking), I'd get rid of Haskell and Kearney.

he'd probably take out Flutey instead of Kearney, who I'd still have ahead of Armitage in the pecking order. Surely you wouldn't take 5 centres and only 2 full backs.

take out fluety nd haskell and that would be my touring party
ya i would also have kearney ahead of armitage

on a side issue i dont think that fluety should be considered as he is neither british nor irish.
he may play with england but that is a result of the residancey rule

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he'd probably take out Flutey instead of Kearney, who I'd still have ahead of Armitage in the pecking order. Surely you wouldn't take 5 centres and only 2 full backs.[/b]

:bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de: :bonne-de:

Roberts can play fullback; cueto can play fullback; fitzgerald can play fullback. Whereas O'Driscoll is injury prone, Henson is ____prone. So I'd prefer to take an extra centre to make sure.

And if Flutey can't play for the Lions, then he shouldn't be playing for England. Since he is, I think that argument's done and dusted.

[/quote]
And if Flutey can't play for the Lions, then he shouldn't be playing for England. Since he is, I think that argument's done and dusted.
[/quote]
is he english?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicklikeaprop @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
And if Flutey can't play for the Lions, then he shouldn't be playing for England. Since he is, I think that argument's done and dusted.[/b]
is he english?
[/b][/quote]

Flutey sings the anthem which is more than, say, Rory Best does.

And tell me how you define English anyway. No one has 'English passports'. There's no such thing as 'ethnically English'. There have been dozens of players playing for all international countries who have dubious connections - Vainikolo is Tongan; Hines is Australian; Rob Henderson hardly sounds Irish; Mujati, Chavhanga, Mtawarira are all Zimbabweans; the Kiwis have the likes of Sivivatu & Lauaki and the Aussies have Tuqiri and so on... don't even get me started on Italy.

It's not a perfect system, but in a general - not just rugby - sense; you have to allow people to move abroad and claim different nationalities. As far as I'm concerned, if they qualify for England under the existing rules, and they decide to commit themselves to England, then great. I expect them to show the same passion as someone who was born and raised, and I'd hope they remain in England after their career is over, although obviously this cannot be a factor in the present.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 19 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicklikeaprop @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
And if Flutey can't play for the Lions, then he shouldn't be playing for England. Since he is, I think that argument's done and dusted.[/b]
is he english?
[/b][/quote]

Flutey sings the anthem which is more than, say, Rory Best does.

[/b][/quote]

Oh God dont tell me if you dont know the anthem that makes you not that nationality ... lulz :lol:

Rory Best might not want to sing the anthem like some players cause they feel they will lose their concentration on the game and also some use it as a way to psych themselves up!

Flutey should have the opportunity to go, if he's performing well enough. Cockbain got called up as a replacement in NZ 4 years ago, so.
(Not that I agree with this kind of stuff, but whatever...) :p

and it's not been an issue in terms of Hines being mentioned as a tourist. I think because Flutey is moving to France he has made a bit of a mockery of the whole residency issue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 19 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's a pretty ignorant statement about Best in fairness GG.[/b]

Yes I know why he wouldn't sing, and I can guess exactly why, but it was to make the point that international 'allegiances' aren't so black & white.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 19 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 19 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's a pretty ignorant statement about Best in fairness GG.[/b]

Yes I know why he wouldn't sing, and I can guess exactly why, but it was to make the point that international 'allegiances' aren't so black & white.
[/b][/quote]

fair enough but there's plenty of other examples you can cite rather than that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 19 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes I know why he wouldn't sing, and I can guess exactly why, but it was to make the point that international 'allegiances' aren't so black & white.[/b]
Meh, weak ass point there matey.

It kinda is a bit daft sending Flutey, but from across the pond I dont really care. If you guys say he's English enough, then thats fine by me (i dont mean that as a knock at you). I think he'll add to the squad so why not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 19 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It kinda is a bit daft sending Flutey, but from across the pond I dont really care. If you guys say he's English enough, then thats fine by me (i dont mean that as a knock at you). I think he'll add to the squad so why not.[/b]

Well, if he plays like he's played against Wales, Ireland and France then I really do think he can add to the squad, because, O'Driscoll aside, no one's really made themselves undroppable. I think Henson is too talented to leave at home but obviously flakey, and Shanklin and Roberts haven't disgraced themselves by any means, but Flutey does offer guile that those guys don't have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicklikeaprop @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

is he english?[/b]

Don't get into that. He's qualified. Thats it.

Could somone please tell me whether Mafi will be eligible to play for Ireland (maybe the lions!) in the future??

10. Ronan O'Gara

Although he had a **** first half, he did the business in the 2nd, and Stephen aint really lighting up the 10 scene

Jones is still on for the 10 shirt, his first half performance in Paris was by far the best we saw from any 10 in the tournament and his defence is more solid than ROG, plus those kicks won't land short at altitude.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 20 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicklikeaprop @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is he english?[/b]

Could somone please tell me whether Mafi will be eligible to play for Ireland (maybe the lions!) in the future??
[/b][/quote]

i think mafi has played for nz in sevens? if he has does it mean he cant play for ireland right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chingnow @ Mar 22 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 20 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is he english?[/b]

[/b][/quote]

i think mafi has played for nz in sevens? if he has does it mean he cant play for ireland right?
[/b][/quote]

That is right. And I wouldn't be keane on bringing both Shanklin and Roberts. I would clasify them both as Bashy-Bashy centres and we don't need two bashy-bashy centres.

So we need a different centre. Wilkinson has centre experience for the Lions (I joke of course - but it's funny coz it's true), but once Earls wins his Heineken Cup and Magners League medals then he'll be getting his place....which is all wishfull thinking.

I have no problem with a Flutey-Drico partnership at centre. It sounds the best to me. Flutey's flairy and Bod is ___.

Jones ahead of O'Gara, simple as he's just better.

Have not been impressed by Ryan Jones and think it's a shame that he hasn't been playing 8 where he seems better. Ferris is my man at 6, he reminds me of Shalke Burger in many ways. Strong, quick, agressive tackler. He's a good lineout option to that. So I'd go with 6. Ferris 7 Williams 8. Heaslip. Maybe Jones or Croft in at 6.

Latest posts