• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

Why O`Gara from the bench? he is certainly the front runner for the test spot atm.

even more disturbing to hear Hodgson being considered as the 3rd fly half, granted it was only the Mirror but even still a frightening thought.

No, Jones is front runner imo. O'Gara really didn't play well in the 6N, and one grop goal can't take that away! I know it was a grand slam winning kick, but I just can't blindly dissmiss how aweful he was in some of those 6N games. Jones however was consistently good throughout, some of his passing was sublime (see Lee Burne's try v France).

There really is no stand-out third choice, Nicky Robinson's been the form club player, but he has a tendancy to self-destruct, so I'm really not sure. Cipriani just hasn't come through like expected, and Hook's gone backwards big time (looked good when he came on at 12 for Ospreys against the Scarlets on Sat though! Maybe he should be moved out, where he doesn't have to control the game and can concentrate on running.)

In the end, it's a toss up between Hook, Cipriani and Robinson, and as it's McGeegan, I think it'll be Cipriani.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 20 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 20 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jean De Villiers apparantly set to miss the Lions Tour :(

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3...5213153,00.html[/b]

well not according to that report, they're hoping he'll be available for the warm up games at the end of May.
[/b][/quote]

Well hopefully he manages to get fully fit on time. Don't want a out of practice De Villiers.

Hook for third choice for me.

The midweekers could be a real chance for him to show off the talent that he does display when at his best.

And IMO he's more talented than Cipriani.

My Squad ( Slate me now )

Gethin Jenkins, Euan Murray, Andrew Sheridan, John Hayes, Adam Jones

Jerry Flannery, Lee Mears, Rory Best

Paul O'Connell, Nick Kennedy, Alun Wyn-Jones, Nathan Hines

Dennis Leamy, Andy Powell, Tom Croft, Tom Rees, Martyn Williams, Jamie Heaslip, Stephen Ferris

Mike Phillips, Dwayne Peel, Danny Care

Stephen Jones, Ronan O'Gara, Danny Cipriani

Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Tom Shanklin, Riki Flutey

Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Lee Byrne, Rob Kearney, Thom Evans, Delon Armitage, Leigh Halfpenny

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Apr 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Dennis Leamy, Andy Powell, Tom Croft, Tom Rees, Martyn Williams, Jamie Heaslip, Stephen Ferris

Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Lee Byrne, Rob Kearney, Thom Evans, Delon Armitage, Leigh Halfpenny[/b]

Just one gripe: Leamy, Powell and Rees all in but no Wallace or Jones? :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Apr 21 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Apr 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Lee Byrne, Rob Kearney, Thom Evans, Delon Armitage, Leigh Halfpenny[/b]

Just one gripe: Leamy, Powell and Rees all in but no Wallace or Jones? :blink:
[/b][/quote]

I'd keep Rees, Out with Powell. In with Wallace. Last spot there between Jones and Leamy.

Jones has been quite poor all season and I have don't think he should be in the squad, but then Leamy's been injured most of the season and playing well now. Wallace for sure and Rees is quality. Powell the one tricck pony is a one trick pony.

Nice to see someone pick Kennedy, I tend to agree with you there. Himself, Donnocha, Hones and Shaw are in a bit of a contest over hat place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 21 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, fair focks to Skysports, I knew they could do it: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,15562_5213492,00.html

Their Lions Squad features:

Scots: 3
Welsh: 10
Irish: 11
English: 12 (yeah, gotta hand it to them, the've got skills)[/b]

was half expecting to find Nick Easter in that lot but alas not to be, Borthwick over Gough or Shaw isn't gonna happen and given his recent form I'd be surprised if Halfpenny is left out at the expense of Cueto. Tindall missing out on Saturday may have cost him as well, think Roberts is favourite for that last centre spot.

I doubt there'll be 4 hookers and only 6 backrows, more likely a 7/3 split there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Apr 20 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hook for third choice for me.

The midweekers could be a real chance for him to show off the talent that he does display when at his best.

And IMO he's more talented than Cipriani.[/b]

He's had the 6 nations and the HEC and failed miserably this year (just this year mind you!). A fine player but his form just isnt good enough to bring him. If your going to take the risk I'd go for Cipriani.

Latest posts