• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stadia expansion.

P

Prestwick

I was wondering, since Watford FC are being so kind as to make their stadium not condemed anymore (as well as increasing capacity by 5,000) I was wondering what other clubs in the GP are doing to expand their stadia to meet the RFU's requirements for all stadia to be over 15,000 by a certain point?

Well as you may know there is a massive arguement between Bath Rugby and the Recreation Ground Commitee to keep Bath Rugby at the Rec and allow them to redevelop the ground, to meet with these regulations...

Currently there has been much support from the city to keep the Rugby at this unique venue.

I've heard there has been one or two nimbies (not in my back yard) who have mounted a campaign to move rugby from the REC. Can you brief us on the real story?

Well I think its a case of the Recreation Ground Trust members, and the some members of the council, not liking the idea of Bath Expanding the Stadium, there was talks of moving the stadium out of the city to Swindon, which would just be a major mistake... the reasoning for this is because there is no land within the City Centre to develop a new stadium... its an interesting arguement and they have actually released a prospectus about all this and this includes their plans...

if you fancy a read http://www.bathrugby.com/downloads/prospectus2.pdf

well worth having a look at just to get an idea of the rec and the situation that my beloved club faces...

Can't they just knock down some ancient buildings or something?

Thats what they do in Birmingham.

<div align="center">Guinness Premiership Clubs: ground status and development plans
</div>

developmentplans.png

Can't they just knock down some ancient buildings or something?

Thats what they do in Birmingham. [/b]

Haha Well thats what they want to do... by knocking down the Rec!!!

Well at least you have an arena that isn't in danger of collapse.

We have the old "echo" joke at Watford's ground but it might just be an echo that could cause the whole place to fall apart!

It seems to me that 15 - 20,000 is the ideal figure for a rugby stadium. Clubs like Gloucester, Bath and Leicester can push to 25 -30,000 but 15,000 is an idea figure in my mind.

Well Bath has Sell Out Games for at least 90% of their games, if not a lot more... They have a huge fanbase and really do need to expand, when I was looking at the table above I was a bit shocked that there are grounds with smaller capacities...

15,000 to 20,000 seems the ideal amount for Rugby Grounds, but when will the limits be increased again?

Saints only need to close up one end of the stadium and remove all the corporate boxes, then it should go well above 15k. And be one of, if not the, best purpose built domestic rugby stadium in the country.

Sadly we won't be in the Premiership next year for people to see it. :rolleyes:

They will bounce back!!!

I am going to have to visit ole Franklin Gardens one day!!!

Whats the timescale for every ground to be 15k, as I hope county boot Sale out of EP. So they/we can buggar off to city or somewhere with a nice big ground. As for county to buy the stadium back, we need the price to be low. So preferable without another 4k on the capacity.

It's not that I don't enjoy watching Sale play, just not at inconvinience of County. As Sale have truly f'cked the pitch up this year.

BM

BM

It would be very nice to play in the City of Manchester Stadium! Might have a much bigger catchment area.

Personally with my most favorite-st best team in the whole wide world (i.e. Saracens), I think we should demolish part of North London (I mean, nobody will miss it, its only Watford) and build an uber stadium with all the seats black and red and on one stand "named the "Les Noirs" stand, we could form an image of Andy Farrell's face using seat colours! And we could have like super laser shows where they get to write "Saracens R brill" and "O'Gara, you smell of wee" and "Carlos, you're a ponce!" in the sky.

Also there'd be a big sign saying "NO STANDING" and everyone would be forced to sit in wheelchairs so that nobody would have seized up joints like me and each seat would have a pint and food holder!

Best. Stadium. Ever.

You mean like this Guinness Prototype Seat?

evolver_gall.jpg

Guinness reinvents stadium seating
A new concept design that kicks traditional sports seats up the backside.
Guinness has unveiled a concept design that could represent the future of stadium seating. The Evolver FS is an ergonomically designed bottom-fondler that is heavily based on “kneeling chairsâ€, so it helps improve posture by keeping your spine in its natural S-shaped alignment. The seat is covered in state-of-the-art cushioned material.

Pie-eaters and beer-users will also be interested to know that the Evolver is the first seat to be designed in conjunction with a digestive expert, which could make that uncomfortable post-halftime indigestion a thing of the past. There is also a “Pi-pod†to hold food and drink during a match, as well as a space to put your programme.

It’s just a concept at present, so don’t expect to be plonking your arse on an Evolver this season. But next year could be rugby fans’ most comfortable ever…

See http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/gener...stadium_seating
or http://www.stellargroup.co.uk/news.php?newsid=2013
or http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?se...ow&id=37233

WOW I want them in every stadia in the UK

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking of.

Why someone would want to advance the onset of rheumatoid arthritis by standing at a Rugby match when you can sit down is beyond me.

Because there is no room for the legs to sit down or you can't see the action down in the far corner...

I'm just a lazy person I am.

I am the same with driving, my mantra is "why drive when you can get someone to drive for you?"

Probably why I like cricket I suppose.

Because there is no room for the legs to sit down or you can't see the action down in the far corner...
[/b]

And then you stand when the action is in the corner dumbass!!!

Anways that seat looks kinda uncomfortable i remember i had a computer chair once that had the knee thing and you put your legs like that but there was no back on the computer chair but after an hour or so your back started getting all tired from it. maybe thats what the back thing is for, but you never know..

You don't read do you....

I was following on from prestwick's post

Dumbass!!!

Also, I'd embark on a huge cloning program to clone the guy who announces everything at Worcester Warriors because he was hilarious

You know the guy, he'd be wandering around in the middle of the pitch with a microphone and a nice dingo hat with a clipboard before the match and during half time!

Ahh What the Heck, I think every seat should come with its own Guinness/Blackthorn Tap.... and microwave to warm up your pie...

Also each seat should have a toilet built in so that you dont need to queue up for hours just to go to the toilet at Half Time!!!

Latest posts