• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stander decision rocks Bulls, SA

The answer when you identify talent early is to put them them into an international sevens tournament at a young age, say 18 or 19. Once they've taken the field in a sevens match, they're captured forever. They can then **** off to Ireland/England whatever, but they can never play for them.

It works well.... ask Isa Nacewa

Last edited:
Gena - A fair point; quite possibly those conversations included "Will you still look at me". As you point out, we don't know the full story.

Snoopy - Am fairly certain it's a 3 year contract, as all project players to date have been.

The assumption that he's being brought over as a project-player is just a rumour as if the IRFU wanted a project-player it wouldn't be a back row forward. It'd be a front-rower. Or maybe a centre.

It's purely a Munster signing in my opinion and has nothing to do with the national team.

Munster will pass him off with the IRFU as a project player - whether reality matches up with that is besides the point. He'll not be considered NIQ as far as the IRFU are concerned.

As others have said - he's more likely to get game time in Munster than with the Bulls and at this stage of any emerging career, that is perhaps most important of all.

@Peat
Per Munster's website, it's just a 2 year deal.

I doubt he's ever going to play for Ireland nor is he coming here as a potential international. Peter Borlase, Richardt Strauss and Steven Sykes were more blatant poaches since they were in positions where Ireland are very light on talent. CJ Stander and Jared Payne are project players by convenience- their province already exceeded the NIQ limit so shoehorned them into a spot that's technically available. Payne will be too old to play for Ireland by the time he's qualified while Stander is too highly rated by the Boks and in a position where Ireland are strong and have some great talent coming through.

Well, blow me down with a feather. I've even seen it reported as three. What's the point of a project player whose contract doesn't tie him down for the whole contract? I find it passing strange the IRFU passed that one off.

Also, 28 too old to play for Ireland? Really?

edit: Although it does support my assertion that the Boks aren't losing Stander, so yay for my thinking I guess :p

Last edited:
Whats the average wage for players in SA?

With all the hype surrounding Stander, Munster will have a good backrow next season. POM, Stander and another. It remains to be seen if Stander is up to the David Wallace level.

Wages depend on where you play. At the Cheetahs you get paid in corn for example while the 'big 3' in SA- Sharks, Stormers and Bulls- pay much better but nothing close to what players can earn in Europe/Japan. I'd say R350 000 per season for a low-level player. +/- R700 000 for a sure starter and then match fees of +/-R20 000 per game. Star players like Schalk Burger +/- R1,2mil a season.

Star players off course can top up their salaries with promotion deals and then they can have a contract with SARU on top of their fees by their respective provincial unions.

Last edited:
Wages depend on where you play. At the Cheetahs you get paid in corn for example while the 'big 3' in SA- Sharks, Stormers and Bulls- pay much better but nothing close to what players can earn in Europe/Japan. I'd say R350 000 per season for a low-level player. +/- R700 000 for a sure starter and then match fees of +/-R20 000 per game. Star players like Schalk Burger +/- R1,2mil a season.

Star players off course can top up their salaries with promotion deals and then they can have a contract with SARU on top of their fees by their respective provincial unions.

I just did a currency conversion. Shalk Burger earns less than €120,000 per year in basic salary which isn't much. BJ Botha would be on between €300,000 and €400,000. Stander will at least double his wages in Munster.

Its also no wonder Munster reported losses last season of €1m. Theres a few players earning large salaries and they have a squad of 40+ players along with coaches, physios and academy players too. I think they might have to make some cut backs in the coming seasons.

Yeah I know it's annoying losing him but plaease don't stoop to petty comments.

Funny that the article called Munster a "super club". As many have said in all likelihood Munster are just being smart about the project player thing. I highly doubt he ever play for Ireland and I really hope he doesn't. I can understand to an extent project players for problem players but we have plenty of good backrowers and an abundance of talent coming through there. However as many have said Munster have had a whole backrow retire in the last year and it's left a bit of a void also as he will be a 99% certain starter of course he's going to get more than at the Bulls. Hope he plays well for them and eventually for S.A. just never against Leinster or Ireland of course.

Just a thought, if he's only on a two year contract can he be designated a project player by Munster? I would have thought that a player would have to sign long enough to gain residency to be the project player. There's nothing to stop him buggering off back to SA in two years and Munster have effectively conned the system out of another NIQ.

Has anyone noticed that despite turning up to a few training sessions Strauss hasn't actually committed to Ireland? In fact he's very elusive about it when being interviewed.

Whats the average wage for players in SA?

With all the hype surrounding Stander, Munster will have a good backrow next season. POM, Stander and another. It remains to be seen if Stander is up to the David Wallace level.

One of Butler, O'Donnell and DOC 2.0 if at all possible. Ronan and Coughlan aren't ever going to be more than bit part players. Personally I think Butler is the best of the bunch.

Does anyone else think O'Donnell is incredibly similar to David Wallace?

Has anyone noticed that despite turning up to a few training sessions Strauss hasn't actually committed to Ireland? In fact he's very elusive about it when being interviewed.

He turned down the opportunity to play for the European South African team before the world cup. I think most people have concluded that he would play for Ireland given the opportunity.

Thought he'd be 30 by the time he was qualified. My mistake. Still hope he doesn't play for Ireland!

Yeah, fair enough.

In fairness he can hardly commit when he's not actually qualified! I believe he's turned up a Boks call up in this time.

Does anyone else think O'Donnell is incredibly similar to David Wallace?

Your logic?

In fairness he can hardly commit when he's not actually qualified! I believe he's turned up a Boks call up in this time.

Your logic?

Yeah but that could just be because he wants to stay with Leinster.

Style of play you know where's the 7 hirt for Munster and has the same incredible leg drive maybe it's just me. He just somehow reminds me of him every time I see him.

Yeah but that could just be because he wants to stay with Leinster.

Style of play you know where's the 7 hirt for Munster and has the same incredible leg drive maybe it's just me. He just somehow reminds me of him every time I see him.

Yeah but unlike playing for Ireland, playing for Leinster wouldn't stop him playing for South Africa ala Ruan Peinaar

Actually it could. He's currently in the project player position last season we had all our foreign player spots full if he played for S.A. it could have been the end of it.