• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stander decision rocks Bulls, SA

Actually it could. He's currently in the project player position last season we had all our foreign player spots full if he played for S.A. it could have been the end of it.

Fair point, but surely that in itself suggests he wants to play for Ireland. If we're developing project player I hope that the IRFU actually know that they intend to play for Ireland!

You could say that but everyone here doubts Stander will play for Ireland. The I.R.F.U. don't pick the projct players they just rubber stamp them.

I just did a currency conversion. Shalk Burger earns less than â'¬120,000 per year in basic salary which isn't much. BJ Botha would be on between â'¬300,000 and â'¬400,000. Stander will at least double his wages in Munster.

Its also no wonder Munster reported losses last season of â'¬1m. Theres a few players earning large salaries and they have a squad of 40+ players along with coaches, physios and academy players too. I think they might have to make some cut backs in the coming seasons.

The currency plays a major role, because South Africa's Rand is so crappy... that is why our guys go to the NH. as they get most of the time the equal amount of money they get in SA, but the symbol in front of the amount just changes. So in SA a guy would get R25000 per game, he'd get 25000 pounds or Euro's in the NH. then when he comes back, he has enough money to retire...

As for Stander, I just can't see him giving up SA for Ireland, he's not Clyde Rathbone, of all his accomplishments and what I've read about him, there's just no way that he'll not come back.

Actually it could. He's currently in the project player position last season we had all our foreign player spots full if he played for S.A. it could have been the end of it.

At the time he turned them down, iirc, I believe it was already known Sykes was coming - call him the project, call Strauss the NIQ, job's done. It's not like Leinster don't lost an NIQ most seasons anyway.

And TOD has a long way to go before he reminds me of David Wallace!

I think Stander will more likely go the same route as Juandre Kruger rather than Robbie Diack. That's all. Playing overseas will be massive for his development. Being away from family, taking care of yourself and playing other systems will make him more all-round.

I think Stander will more likely go the same route as Juandre Kruger rather than Robbie Diack. That's all. Playing overseas will be massive for his development. Being away from family, taking care of yourself and playing other systems will make him more all-round.

Now that I have calmed down about this...
Yes I do agree, but from a ZA point of view Juandre was not yet Bok material when he left, he went and came back a better man - happy for all involved but with Stander it's a different story - He is on the brink of Bok colours and everyone knows even at 8th man, he is better than Spies

Yeah I know it's annoying losing him but plaease don't stoop to petty comments.

Funny that the article called Munster a "super club". As many have said in all likelihood Munster are just being smart about the project player thing. I highly doubt he ever play for Ireland and I really hope he doesn't. I can understand to an extent project players for problem players but we have plenty of good backrowers and an abundance of talent coming through there. However as many have said Munster have had a whole backrow retire in the last year and it's left a bit of a void also as he will be a 99% certain starter of course he's going to get more than at the Bulls. Hope he plays well for them and eventually for S.A. just never against Leinster or Ireland of course.

Probably because they aren't actually a rugby club. Shannon RFC is a rugby club. But as the same as the Stormers, Ospreys, Leinster etc... they are not rugby clubs. I guess they could have called them a franchise though or organisation.

They're a province not a franchise or anything but a province.

Can anyone explain how Irish provincial teams are assembled?

What do you mean exactly? The provinces are historical. They're used to be another one Meath but the counties from there are now part of Leinster. Before the Normans came while you'd have loads of local Chieftans they followed the king of their province and they in turn occasionally a High King. In Hurling and Gaelic football they basically make up the qualifying pools for the All-Ireland and have been representative teams in rugby since the start.

Leinster is the largest province with 12 counties, Ulster has 9, Munster 6 and Connacht 5. Note the counties were created by the English.

Yep, BG8 essentially got the historical aspect of the provinces right. They grew out of the old Irish kingdoms (incidentally, there was a kingdom called Thomond for anyone who wonders where that name comes from).

From a rugby perspective, the provinces have their roots in amateur rugby. Back in the old days, Irish rugby players played their rugby for clubs. Since 1990 these clubs competed in the All Ireland League, which as you can guess featured clubs from all across the country. About once a year the best players from each province would be selected for the "Interpro's" with the 4 provinces playing each other. They would also occasionally play against touring sides. Obviously, you could only play for a province if your club was based there. For example, as you played for Shannon in Limerick, Then you could only play for Munster.

These provincial matches were fairly poorly supported before pro rugby with attendances usually in the hundreds. Emphasis was still firmly on the club game. With the coming of the professionalism however, it became apparent that Irish rugby would be incapable of supporting the clubs if they were to go pro. Thusly, the provinces were put forward as the pro teams. They had a decent bit of history and identity, which set them apart from the like of the Welsh regions and helped them gain support (as did the success they enjoyed).

It's still a rule that to play for a province you must be registered with a club in that province. Although the players will rarely (if ever) play for these clubs, you can still see on all of the team sheets the IRFU puts out the clubs are listed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Feic... That is what I was looking for. I know the historical part, I was just wondering if there were some sort of ties with actual clubs rather than provincial teams/franchises.

Latest posts