• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Step closer to pay TV

Seems weird it'd be Sky, they don't really seem to have much interest in fighting for rugby rights at the moment.

I remember hearing a while ago that Sky regretted letting the Premiership slip. If this is tryue, it makes sense.

really hope you van keep it on free to air, all rugby has been on Sky in NZ...maybe since it went professional, really feel its had a big negative impact on interest, really punishes the casual fan or just the fan thats a bit short on cash

NZ doesn't have protected Sports coverage, Aussie does and its great, ive only really managed to get into AFL because its easy to pick up a game here and there free to air

Nothing on the BBC is "free to air"
I'm watching increasingly less and less (virtually sweet fa) on terrestrial TV but still forking out for the privilege.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...et-premier-league-rights-after-uk-launch-dazn

Not directly relevant to rugby yet but if these guys to break into the UK (and generally Ireland by extension) market it could well be. Don't know much about them, but tbh "Netflix of sport" isn't a realistic ambition. That said if they do end up getting a sizeable sports package for a fiver a month I might be able to deal with that. At the end of the day likely just another player in an already vastly overcrowded sports market. Streaming has made it far easier for people to consume TV and especially music but is probably going to end up screwing over sports fans because it's not set up for one player to grab a hold of everything like Spotify and Netflix did.

Anyway a while before we see anything like that in rugby I'd say, for now the far more immediate concern is the idiots in charge putting the Six Nations on Sky or BT, which would do irreparable damage to NH rugby. Would cost millions of casual fans and they're far easier to lose than to win back. It's not like they don't have a ready made case study staring them in the face with English cricket post-2005 about what this will do. If it does happen I'll just go without, it'll ruin my spring but I'm not getting Sky/BT.

More and more college and pro sports conferences and leagues are going the streaming route as a priority here in America. I like ESPN+ because it's inexpensive and they stream many different sports including rugby (SupeRugby, Pro14, Major League Rugby) and some International rugby tournaments as well. It's a good deal.

Last edited:
Twelve Welsh(? I know the main guy is, not sure of the others) MPs tabling a motion in parliament to get the Six Nations on the protected/free-to-air list

Nothing will come of it, but it's a development I guess

Can't see BBC bidding anything for it as they are high on the Government hit list for cuts self funding abolition of licence fee et al.
So leaves us with ITV to bid on own not looked for 6 N viewing figures to see what value it may have remember footy is on at same time Saturday so big competition with sky sports + bt with 1300 kick offs and 5pm kick offs. Plus Super Sunday etc.
They have invested mega sums in this so may be a slight conflict here not to invest to much but go for getting on cheap.
Amazon maybe a contender but hard to see first real foray into long term contract being 6 N rugby ( uk)
I am guessing Market is relatively small and not going to be a huge golden egg for any bidder although we all love our sport it's a minority sport here by a fair way and few dip in and out from my experience.
CVC won't get a large slice back from their investment me thinks however only time will tell on that one.

Guardian article saying what most of us are thinking. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...ut-cord-to-thousands-of-fans-rugby-depends-on

If they don't, it won't be through a lack of trying. They'll just see it as another asset to be sweated to within an inch of its life.
Had read article same as what Moore had said in Telegraph both a worthy read.
Agree with you opinion on CVC .
Paywall TV has a real downside in moving events to suit.
Just look at ridiculous time of England v Argentina at 8pm on sky.
Heyho it is what is.
Guess won't effect me to much as have BT piggy back Sky Amazon and Netflix's off sons.
The sooner CVC bugger off the better for me.

duncanb said:
CVC won't get a large slice back from their investment me thinks however only time will tell on that one.
If they don't, it won't be through a lack of trying. They'll just see it as another asset to be sweated to within an inch of its life.

Indeed. 'Tis why I was very strongly opposed to them getting involved in the game in any way shape or form.

They do not have the game's long term interest at heart.

They are in it for the quick money.

Unfortunately too many people couldn't see past the same quick money dangled in front of them too.

Can't see BBC bidding anything for it as they are high on the Government hit list for cuts self funding abolition of licence fee et al.
So leaves us with ITV to bid on own not looked for 6 N viewing figures to see what value it may have remember footy is on at same time Saturday so big competition with sky sports + bt with 1300 kick offs and 5pm kick offs. Plus Super Sunday etc.
They have invested mega sums in this so may be a slight conflict here not to invest to much but go for getting on cheap.
Amazon maybe a contender but hard to see first real foray into long term contract being 6 N rugby ( uk)
I am guessing Market is relatively small and not going to be a huge golden egg for any bidder although we all love our sport it's a minority sport here by a fair way and few dip in and out from my experience.

Amazon is already broadcasting major tennis tournaments, and already have some of the EPL

It may just fit in with them, but they will need to gauge interest probably

I pay £60 for BT just for the premiership rugby, £5 for Netflix which I mainly watch and then BBC which I don't watch really.

I really don't want to add something else, I already have to go to the pub for all the sky England games.

I think I would cry if 6 nations went to pay to view TV
We need more rugby on free to view tv

It would be good to see lower level rugby on TV aswell championship and national 1

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/0522/1139971-six-nations-sanzaar-calendar/

If they start playing the 6Nations in August then it will be ok going to pay tv as it will be a nail in the coffin of this tournament.
It will also harm the national teams here I'd feel as summer tours would be warm up to 6 Nations and not a chance to experiment and no international rugby between November and June will be bad.

Add in it condenses international season in to effectively 5 months.

Yes, play the Six Nations at the same time at f***ing Premier League is starting, that'll drive publicity up.

You've got to wonder if the people who come up with these ideas ever actually think about them.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/0522/1139971-six-nations-sanzaar-calendar/

If they start playing the 6Nations in August then it will be ok going to pay tv as it will be a nail in the coffin of this tournament.
It will also harm the national teams here I'd feel as summer tours would be warm up to 6 Nations and not a chance to experiment and no international rugby between November and June will be bad.

Add in it condenses international season in to effectively 5 months.
Previous articles I've read have said they were looking at moving both to March.

Latest posts