• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Step closer to pay TV

Sky's struggling at the moment and I think deliberately so. I think they want to move from satellite distribution to fibre. I recently cancelled Sky when I worked out now NowTV was 'cheaper' with just the issue if you miss the sport you can't watch a replay. So yeah loosing a few key things like the recent India/England cricket series isn't seen as a bad thing as it gets people questioning their subscriptions. Possibly changing and they still get your cash.

You then have far less expensive equipment to maintain.

CVC will be the death of rugby, or at least the world game. The ******** are prepared to **** all over ordinary fans for the sake of their bottom line.

**** them! **** them all to hell!

Read about what CVC did to F1

Sky's struggling at the moment and I think deliberately so. I think they want to move from satellite distribution to fibre. I recently cancelled Sky when I worked out now NowTV was 'cheaper' with just the issue if you miss the sport you can't watch a replay. So yeah loosing a few key things like the recent India/England cricket series isn't seen as a bad thing as it gets people questioning their subscriptions. Possibly changing and they still get your cash.

You then have far less expensive equipment to maintain.
As much as I'd love this to be true, I'm not sure you can take Sky's distribution debate and drag it into a programming arena.

Time'll tell... I'd hate for the 6N to go pay, but I wonder whether "delayed as-live" could be an acceptable compromise. I vaguely recall England games being done this way in the dim & distant past.

The Times reporting that Amazon are going to be showing most Autumn Internationals and one Six Nations game per round, with the rest being BBC/ITV

Sky and BT also tried to buy rights but wanted all games so it didn't work out

Same,
I'd rather it all be FTA but Amazon is the best of the rest - plus much easier to "scam" for people who don't want to pay (as in: get a months free trial to Prime on the first day of the tournament and be able to watch most of it)

Same,
I'd rather it all be FTA but Amazon is the best of the rest - plus much easier to "scam" for people who don't want to pay (as in: get a months free trial to Prime on the first day of the tournament and be able to watch most of it)
Are you that cheap that 2 months at £7.99 isn't worth it and you have to "scam"?

Better than minimum contracts at £45 a month for sky

Are you that cheap that 2 months at £7.99 isn't worth it and you have to "scam"?

No, I've got Amazon prime, I'm just saying it's the best option of the pay ones because it's more accessible to more people

NowTV is 33 quid a month for Sky with no contract.

NowTV is 33 quid a month for Sky with no contract.
4 times the £7.99 for Amazon. Ok

Personally I had a bad issue with nowtv where they "signed me up" to their film service and charged me without asking

Can't trust them again

Agreed - for many people, online internet streaming is either a struggle or not reliable. It certainly has issues (internet delay being another) that broadcast TV channels don't.

You certainly won't please everyone with any single broadcaster, but Amazon streaming has as many problems/issues as the established sports broadcasters might do. At least with the established broadcasters, it avoids the issue of additional subscriptions.

The current deal is working quite well in Aus

Channel 9 and its streaming service "Stan" won the contract last year, standard package starts at $10 a month and then another $10 for the sport content and because a free to air channel is involved we do get some free to sir games each week

The current deal is working quite well in Aus

Channel 9 and its streaming service "Stan" won the contract last year, standard package starts at $10 a month and then another $10 for the sport content and because a free to air channel is involved we do get some free to sir games each week
Fixed contract for X number of months or pay as you go?

Fixed contract for X number of months or pay as you go?
pay as you go, and Stan has normal tv that we watch anyway so really only an extra $10 a month

We were paying $50 a month for Sky (foxtel) for just the base package plus sport. There were lots of other sports so its not a straight swap but i mostly watched the rugby

A split pay/FTA option was originally mooted, and works reasonably well with the Euro Champions Cup, but you do introduce the issues of who has the first/second picks etc, when it's a joint bid. That does cause a few complications that would take some working out.

Latest posts