• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Steve Walsh is a cheat...

Mon plaisir ma cherie.....oh, and regards to your husband!!

I'll send them along! He'll enjoy your reply...he likes to think he knows a little French, and I say he knows just enough to be embarrassing (which is even worse than knowing enough to get into trouble!).

:)

das

Walsh had a poor game, and both sides were affected, it's hard to say if one had it worse than another. I don't disagree with the last pen try, and I haven't found any Welsh supporters that do either. What was telling was that Wales conceded two tries at 13 men. Bad discipline and patience. Same with after 80, the DG was stupid, I did see some SA offsides though.
What was also stupid was not taking all points on offer, even while 13 up. Also the (lack of) subs.

Walsh had a poor game, and both sides were affected, it's hard to say if one had it worse than another. I don't disagree with the last pen try, and I haven't found any Welsh supporters that do either. What was telling was that Wales conceded two tries at 13 men. Bad discipline and patience. Same with after 80, the DG was stupid, I did see some SA offsides though.
What was also stupid was not taking all points on offer, even while 13 up. Also the (lack of) subs.

This!

I agree that Walsh had a poor game for both sides, and to be honest, I shrivel every time he's the ref.

I think the original poster should just calm the **** down, as there's no denying the fact that he made the correct call in regard to the penalty try at the end.

As a Saffa, I feel sorry for the Welsh as they played brilliantly, and got the better of the Boks, in many facets, but the charge at the end was just dumb. It resulted in 2 yellow cards against Bismarck Du Plessis and Francois Louw last year, and I'm glad that the same act got punished this time as well.

After reviewing the game, the tackle, the penalty tries and the cards, I've come to one conclusion.

It's all Das's fault!

After reviewing the game, the tackle, the penalty tries and the cards, I've come to one conclusion.

It's all Das's fault!

:p
YEAAAAAHHHH !!!!!! DAS !!!!

P.S.: naughtybutnice, are you one of these ppl who just come to this forum just to post one thread and then leave btw ?? I have a huge feeling you are !

I though Walsh was alright. Its very hard being a ref. Only thing I thought he got wrong was the yellow card AND penalty try against Wales in the same instance. A bit overly harsh

It's all Das's fault!

:D

Hey, I like Steve Walsh, and think he's one of the best (and gets a bad rap due to past behavior). It's impossible for a referee to be perfect, and there are surely a few out there who make many more mistakes and yet get less criticism than Walsh. Mostly I think in any passionate match-up the referee is going to get blamed if things don't go a certain way, rather than taking a hard look at the losing team and what they did wrong. In this case Wales pretty much had it in the bag and they blew it with a bad tackle. If he had only used his arms he probably would have gotten the same results (knocking Hendricks into touch), but without the penalty try that lost them the game.

:p
YEAAAAAHHHH !!!!!! DAS !!!!

You don't have to be so...enthusiastic...about it.
<_<

das

Last edited:
Walsh can be a ****ing monkey though, lets not forget that.

I haven't seen the game so I can't comment on this incident, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth about Walsh :D

Lets take the last penalty tri in the game. Liam williams went in with his left hand to push the Africian in to touch, he then came in with his right hand and it got compressed in the tackle, hence he used his hands in the tackle. He did not shoulder barge as only Steve Waksh made out: he used his hands, if the south african player got a knock for is troubles " SO WHAT" its a physical game!.

Firstly;
It was a stone cold penalty try, all day long, every day of the week. Tacklers must wrap their arms. They are not allowed to simply line up the shoulder on the opponent's head and neck area and take him out like that. Leading with the forearm does not mitigate the fact that it was a straight up shoulder charge that was probably deserving of a red card as well.

Secondly;
The question was initiated by the assistant referee in that corner, and referred to the TMO, and all three officials came to the penalty try decision together.

Thirdly;
There is only one person to blame for this, Liam Williams himself. He was there in time to execute a legal tackle that would likely have put Cornel Hendricks into touch. Even if Hendricks had scored, it would have been in the right corner with a right-footed kicker having to convert from the right sideline.

I have to say that this was great use of the TMO and replays, and excellent refereeing all round. Once Walsh was happy that it was foul play, he asked the TMO for the exact angle he needed to determine whether a try would probably have been scored, and explained clearly to Alun Wynn Jones about the "beam him up" rule. He also made sure that he and the TMO were on the same page before awarding the try. If only all match officials would be this thorough with critical decisions.

And lastly, if Walsh was cheating for South Africa, how come he awarded Wales that try just after half time. There is no way on God's green earth that was a try. The ball was knocked out of the Welsh player's hand by Green 8's upper arm. If Walsh really was cheating, here was an opportunity for him to rule in favour of South Africa by disallowing the try, and no-one would have questioned that.

Last edited:
Wales needed more mass in the back line imo, the likes of Williams is to light weight for international rugby.

Look at England we are brining in 18 st, 6ft 4 burgess and will be unstoppable.

Our back line for the WC outside 9 and 10.

11) Yarde
12) Barritt
13) Burgess
14) Manu
15) Croft

That has some good bulk in it.

Youre ****ing idiot if you think that wasnt a penalty try.

Agreed. If the officials did make an error it was in not issuing Williams a yellow/red card too...

Mebbe he didn't want to add insult to injury as it were, seeing as how he knew the call would be controversial anyway. Not sure how Walsh thinks, but he could have felt that giving a card would have looked like he was favoring SA. And when you think about it, by not giving the card he at least gave Wales a fighting chance to still win the game. I think it was a very fair call for a very bad tackle.

das

New zealand got away with an almost identical offense vs england in the 2010 AI's on Shontaye Hape I recall. Walsh did the right thing. I also thought Wales were getting the majority of decisions when I watched this game back.

New zealand got away with an almost identical offense vs england in the 2010 AI's on Shontaye Hape I recall. Walsh did the right thing. I also thought Wales were getting the majority of decisions when I watched this game back.

Haven't seen the Welsh one yet, but this one (watch from 6:25) was certainly the right decision...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nope. That was not the same Toeava actually tackled Hape, he did not shoulder charge him

Toava-Hape.gif

Toaeva has arms extended forwards and either side of Hape, and attempts to wrap.

This is nothing like Liam Williams' shoulder charge on Hendriks.

As a neutral fan I thought it was the right call and I like how Steve Walsh allays explains his decisions. anyone who thinks that was not a penalty try must have been caught up in the excitement of wales possibly winning for the first time in South Africa or just enjoy seeing south Africa lose.

Yeah, pretty obviously a penalty try. It's a bit of a shame for Wales, but you have to be pretty stupid not to see it was a penalty try.