• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Stormers VS Reds

Ungracious winners might be an understatement, don't let us start the jokes lads. We'll win.

Ungracious winners might be an understatement, don't let us start the jokes lads. We'll win.
Of course calling us Reds supporters delusional and telling us we'll get mauled wasn't ungracious in the first place.....

Good game this one.

I betted on the Storm but I was 70/30% confident on the Stormers taking this one, I did have some doubt (I SHOULDVE LISTENED TO THAT DOUBT ARGH!!). Good game.

Of course calling us Reds supporters delusional and telling us we'll get mauled wasn't ungracious in the first place.....

LOL, if a little pre-match banter got your feelings hurt, I sincerely apologize.

So he wasn't wailing into some guy lying defenseless on the ground or the striking was justified because someone was holding onto him?

If you look at the replay you will see that he was striking the player's arm that was holding him. Much like what most players do during a game. I stand to be correct but he did not make contact with the players face or body other than the arm which was holding him. I dont like it when they do that but it has not been a penalizable offence in the past never mind a yellow card.

The Stormers attack is very poor...
Their defense is the BEST..
but against the reds they were lost.
maybe because Jean de Villiers didnt play...

The Stormers attack is very poor...
Their defense is the BEST..
but against the reds they were lost.
maybe because Jean de Villiers didnt play...

Nah, JdJ is ore than able replacement for JdV. The reasons we lost;

- Genia and Cooper have bigger boots than Grant and Aplon and pinned us in our own 22
- the fact that the majority of the game was played in our half meant that a penalty to the Reds meant 3 points while a penalty for us meant we could move 20 merters up field.
- they negated our defense by sending the ball wide as fast as possible, getting ove the gain line out wide and getting numbers to the ball there faster.
- we didnt adapt to the way the reds came to the break down and an inexperienced ref/linesman's handling of the game
- they simply played with greater intensity and precision IE were better mentally prepared
- also, our discipline was off and when the frustration creeps in and those 50/50 calls go against you... well, we simply didn't respond positively

All these things go hand-in-hand and starts with the player's focus prior to the kick-off. We lost close games to Aus teams last year because of exactly these same things. We need to have a look at how to approach these situations.

- they negated our defense by sending the ball wide as fast as possible, getting ove the gain line out wide and getting numbers to the ball there faster.

- we didn't adapt to the way the reds came to the break down

That is it in a nutshell. The Reds got to the breakdown faster and got the ball wide to take the centre of the action away from the Stormers slower forwards

However...

... and an inexperienced ref/linesman's handling of the game
If you are suggesting that Pro Legoete was incorrect to recommend
offyc.gif
for the foot-trip, then I disagree strongly. A foot-trip is a yellow card in any circmustances, but the fact that Deon Fourie foot-tripped a player who did not have the ball is even worse, and he was very lucky not to get
norc.gif

In fact I thought he had for a moment when Jaco Peyper pulled the wrong card out.

I thought Peyper handled the game pretty well actually; he is a referee with great potential. IMO, he'll be the next cab off the rank when Jon Kaplan retires, which I suspect will be within a year or two of the RWC.

That is it in a nutshell. The Reds got to the breakdown faster and got the ball wide to take the centre of the action away from the Stormers slower forwards

However...

If you are suggesting that Pro Legoete was incorrect to recommend
offyc.gif
for the foot-trip, then I disagree strongly. A foot-trip is a yellow card in any circmustances, but the fact that Deon Fourie foot-tripped a player who did not have the ball is even worse, and he was very lucky not to get
norc.gif

In fact I thought he had for a moment when Jaco Peyper pulled the wrong card out.

I thought Peyper handled the game pretty well actually; he is a referee with great potential. IMO, he'll be the next cab off the rank when Jon Kaplan retires, which I suspect will be within a year or two of the RWC.

No, I have no problem with the cards. What I did have a problem with (and this was as clear as day watching from great seats) was;

- 3 forward passes gone unnoticed by ref and linesmen
- obstructive running (both in attack and blocking kick chasers). He missed the blocking both ways on about 3 occasions
- Their were a number breakdowns where the Reds' forwards flew in without ever attempting to bind on anyone and just went over, killing any form of contest at the breakdown.

Am I correct in saying that the English player that tripped a US player in the group stages of the 2007 RWC got cited and banned for 2 weeks? I am a little fuzzy on the second bit but can remember something along the lines of a citing.

Double standards if you ask me, SH players getting more lenient treatment from the IRB.... ZaCk PaDDiE O' BrYAn!?! blah blah blah...

Stupid thing from Fourie to do, probably cost the Stormers any sniff of victory they had, as they started to up the tempo and close the gap before the card

Am I correct in saying that the English player that tripped a US player in the group stages of the 2007 RWC got cited and banned for 2 weeks? I am a little fuzzy on the second bit but can remember something along the lines of a citing.

Yup, twas Phil Vickery

Ah yes so typical... Look at us ranting about the ref and how the Reds cheated and how the Stormers so OBVIOUSLY deserved to win!

Wait...

bahaha, arrogant saffas.

Really? ... Which ones? ... I've seen some bold pre-match predictions made based on the Stormers being undefeated, having the best defensive record, and having a home game, and i've seen those same people congratulate the Reds for their win ... Arrogant?, I don't think so.

... You were obviously pretty confident of a Reds win ... looking for your prediction ... oh wait, you didn't have one :)

Er yeah when were the Stormers going to maul the Reds? Shows once again all Saffas do is whinge (ZOMG REDS ARE CHEATS!) and overhype their teams....

Where's your evidence of South Africans wingeing or complaining about the Reds cheating? ... If a team is undefeated, how is it over-hyped?

Argh. Can't believe I pitched up at Newlands for that game. Good win for the Reds getting a 8 point log swing might come back to bite us. They played a territory game and Grant and Aplon just don't get enough distance to get back. Also got the better forward momentum flinging the ball wide fast and moving it away from our driving tacklers.

Congrats on a game very astutely played even if the Aussie fans posting here are very ungracious winners.

Just as the South African posters all seem to be all being labelled Arrogant with a general comment directed at no one in particular, your Aussie fans comment is doing the same thing to the Aussies, so maybe reply to the specific poster(s)

... There were some pretty bold predictions made that Reds were going to get Mauled etc, pre-match, surely it's okay for the Reds supporters to enjoy their win, and give a bit of banter back to the people that made those predictions.

N
- Their were a number breakdowns where the Reds' forwards flew in without ever attempting to bind on anyone and just went over, killing any form of contest at the breakdown.
Cause none of the Stormers players have ever done that before *Cough* Schalk *Cough* And we got pinged for that eventually anyway.

As for the Tripping situation didn't Quade Cooper get banned last year for doing that in a test?

"and give a bit of banter back to the people that made those predictions. "

Banter sure, I would participate in banter, but... Wait nevermind.

So, Lions next week! They finally dropped Habana.

Shaggy thumbs up mate
Reading your post made me realize (again) why we Saffas like the general NZ rugby supporter more than any other