• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

It would be great if you could unlock great teams and stadiums from the past by winning the league or completing bonus challenges etc. Teams like the 1974 Lions or the 2003 England World Cup winning squad could be unlocked. Even club sides like the Bath and Brive teams of the late nighties or the Leicester team from 1999-2002 or Wasps from 2003-2005? Classic games could be recreated, like the 2004 Heineken Cup final or the 2010 Guinness Premiership Final. It could add an extra incentive for players who might get bored doing all the usual stuff :)

You should create a franchise mode so that you can take on a club team for a season and play their games but aswell as that sign up new up and coming players entice players from across the globe to come to your club. Make the selection for the team, it would be similar to manager mode in fifa games or franchise mode in rugby league 2. A be a pro mode would be a good addition to the game aswell, create a player and take him from the sqaud of a club team to the captain of the national team. The possibilities for this game are endless and I hope HB studios makes rugby fans around the globe happy.

I also hope their could be a button for forwards to steal at the breakdown if they are first there. In the old forms of the game if the defending teams player was first there he would just wait there until there was someone to cleanout it was soooooo annoying. If say Richie McCaw was first to the break down it should be an easy steal, but if say Habana was first to the breakdown he could attempt but it would take him a long time to steal it and if he was cleaned out it would be easy.

Any classic matches that are playable should use the players involved in that match. Playing, for example, the 1991 World Cup quarter-final between Australia and Ireland isn't quite the same with Giteau and Ioane in the side as it is with Campese and Lynagh. It's a small thing, but it really stopped me from caring much about the classic matches in Rugby 08. Think Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket '99 classic matches. I think Ricky Ponting '05 did the same thing too. (including black and white for the pre-1970 classic matches, but I think that'd probably be a step too far)

YES!! LIONS RUGBY says right !!

Attacking Game play features that should be in a decent rugby game.

1) Running moves that should be included:
- Side step > Left and Right on the right analog stick (Madden 10)
- Trucking (Dropping the shoulder) > Forward on the right analog stick (Madden 10)
- Fake kick > Down on the right analog stick
- Spin out of tackle > Rotate right analog stick (Madden 10)
- Dummy pass > L2 (Left trigger) + pass button ( L1 [Left bumper] or R2 [Right bumper] )
- Hand-off > L2 (Left Trigger) + Left or Right on the right analog stick
[All of these moves should depend on the players stats, such as skill, speed and strength]

You' ve to be inspire by madden

One thing that would greatly add to the realism of the game, as well as making the general graphics side look good would perhaps be blood substitutions, players with clearly visible wounds, who then have to be substituted, afterall i think lewis moody has spent 90% of his career with blood pouring down him after tackling another apponent with his face.

Nice Jimi. And then there could be am option to fake a blood sub....

I would definitely like to see more of a high ball game in 2012. With the computer contesting for it in the air and less random in determining who wins (jumper with better timing gets it or knocks it on).

i love the aerial contest!!! it's a great idea, all aspects of the sport need to be implemented

This may have already been added, but if the game's not going to be made for the computer, then there'll have to be a built-in editor and effective create-player. I'm not going to be too interested in a game with as many roster errors as 08 had if there's no woosah to come and correct them.

they should introduce the ability to do a franchise mode like madden or fifa..however the ability to chose a super 14 / guiness preimiership / top 14 side and a country. This should continue for 30 years, and every four years there is a world cup. as well, for the wallabies/sa/nz there to be test's agaisnt northern hemisphere teams, mid week games..then a full tri nations, bledisloe series...followed by a spring tour with the occasional grand slam tour...as well as the ability to purchase / trade players within domestic competitions..(s14 etc)

As well, updated player roster...more in depth and get the stats more realistic!!

The ability to create a 'superstar'.

Players abilities change depending on their position, unlike prior versions where it is basically impossible to play a position they are not listed as..

Last edited:
PLAYMAKERS

Just been having a think about "playmakers" and the balance of good teams. In the past the phrase "playmaker" in the old rugby games essentially meant jack. Perhaps it meant they could pass well. Perhaps it meant they could slot into fly half when required. We shall never know.

However, I do like the idea that for a team to perform to the top standard there should be a mixture of big boshing maa nonu types, and the more "playmaking" will greenwood type. I dont know how this would work. perhaps the back line wouldnt be able to run decent moves unless at least one "playmaker" was in the line, and the more of them there are the faster (and more likely to succeed) the move would be. (however you would need strong runners mixed in to make the move dynamic and effective in order to break the line).

Or if you keep trying to bosh the ball up without running a move, then some sort of meter could fill up, and when it was full the defence would either shove you back 5 metres or attempt to turn the ball over (their ability to do so decided by the normal rucking rules), thereby forcing you to attempt a backs move (which would be easier and more effective by x% if you have a playmaking back) or kick. Obviously the playmakers could be fly halves, but if they were trapped in a ruck then the playmaking ability of the back line should disappear, unless you have another player with some ability, whereby you could continue to run moves.

PS the playmakers could be forwards also (eg steffan armitage or schalk brits etc) that way they could slot in for moves (as they would in real life).

I hope that this would promote the selection of a balanced team, and not just the biggest quickest blokes you could buy.

Last edited:
I think that we should try and see this thread from a marketing point of view, as HB would see it, because after all at the bottom of this endeavor are obviously money and how well the game will sell.

I haven't made a study about this but it's fairly easy to say that the game would sell better if it would have a multiplayer feature... I mean... I would buy rugby 08 again with multiplayer... So this should be top priority for the studio to implement.

Keeping the game engine would also be a cost-effective measure, as I personally don't see any problems with it and it's something the developers know how to work with... so... if you can enhance the AI and make the general physics more realistic I don't see a reason why the engine should be changed....

I'm a long time gamer and i've heard a lot of bs and fake promises from game developers and personally I've noticed that the recent trend in game development is to dumb down the games, a thing that game creators childishly call "accessible gameplay".

Last edited:
HB Studios please ! PLEASE !!

Please put sliders into the game for teams that allows you the ability to create strength/weekness and depth to how a team plays and varies in their style.

Sliders could be such as

Ball Retention - Regardless of how good the teams flankers are this takes into account also how the entire squad works as a unit to be technically in position at breakdowns to secure their own ball. A Team that is highly rated in this catergory is more likely to put together more succesfully recycling of the ball in play. A team that is weak in this catergory is more likely to give over turnovers to the opposition.

Line speed positioning Attack
- How quickly players move into position to create attacking lines running onto the ball at speed and with fluidity. A team at the hign end of the slider will create better attacking raids and more opportunities in movement. A team on the lower end of the scale will struggle to create as many over laps and line breaks.

Line speed positioning Defense
- How quickly players position themselves in a defensive line to succeesfully stop and push back a defensive raid. Even slow ball down in coming out on the opposition side in a ruck. Teams at the top end of the scale are much harder to break through and opportunities against are really needed to take advantage of. Teams at the bottom end of the scale can be fragile and cause a heart attack or two as fast sharp play from the opposition can find them out and they can be broken.

Possession or Territory - Teams leaning higher towards the Possesion slider will be a teal that looks to move the ball forward from any part of the field, they are probably more attacking orientated and feature strike players that defense need to be up tight on. A team such as the All Blacks would be a good example of this type of setting. Teams leaning towards Territory would be more tactical in looking to play their football more froml the oppositions half etc. Meaning less risk and probably more kicking taking place up field in defense to position themselves into the contest, either looking to force mistakes, turn overs. A good example of this team is South Africa.Neither setting does not mean a team cant play both styles, but shows a preferance of how in a majority of situations how they will most likely play.

Expansive or Tight Play
- A team that is higher in the Expansive side of the slider will wider standing backs and play a fast side to side game trying to create gaps and over laps for tricky fast backs. This also means a team that plays this is also likely to have good flankers, play makers and tricky fast backs. Two teams that fit this mould are the All Blacks and Austrailia. France is another who looks to play in this mould. Team that are more placed in the tight Play Slider are normally strong forward based with a good tactical kicking no 10 to back them up. They like to move the ball up field and control the forward battle. Two teams that suit this style are South Africa and England.

Risk Reward or Safety First - Teams high in the Risk Reward slider are more than likely to throw the dice even in intense battles and make plays that can be 50/50. If it fails they hand over posession or throw an intercept pass or Kick or come up diamonds and score dazzling trys or gain great fast ground. If a team in this slider has strength on other slider such as Ball retention, line Speed attack etc, these are the most dangerous teams to face, these team also have a much higher off load rate in play. Safety first is a team that looks to do all basics right not focussing on 50/50 plays but looking to be tactical in not giving away free oppotunities and always looking for the smartest, logical situation or play. Such as taking 3 points on offer with a kick, not throwing cut out passes and having supporting players in most plays looking to secure ball. These teams will accumulate points and look to build momentum.

Momentum Bar !!!
- Please have a momentum bar that shows a dominance of some soughts between the two teams playing. A team that has strong momentum is more likely to activate the benefits of the slider settings they are using. With Momentum up high An attacking team will really get into flight, a forward pack will really grind forward making strong ground and more plays and descions have the possility of coming off. A team that doesnt have momentum will not find it easy to have all their benefits of their sliders, they may relay on either some individual brilliance or a real slog out to get into the game. Teams that are fairly even 50/50 or 55/45 on the momentum bar will be in a real dog fight. Momentum can change in a match and the contrasting emotions and swings and turns will come out - making for totally compelling matches in some circumstances.

So please PLEASE HB STUDIOS !!!! please take into account the above, It will create a rugby game finally with true depth. Imagine being able to create rugby temas that simulate closely their real life copies - That would be EPIC !! . Having create a player opportunitys would further advance this. Especially if you allow create a team(s) with of course a few slots, players could create their ulitmate rugby enjoyment. Imagine creating Jonah Lomu and the 95 All Blacks, or Mike Gibson and the old Wales legends. Or England and their forward dominating Wilkinson best era.

One other thing you have to have the ITM cup from New Zealand!!!!!!, that is the bread basket of what makes the All Blacks the most powerful rugby nation on the earth. Superstars galore in the making and playing there, true province passion.

Thanks

Nightmare Hitter
:D

player moves via the right stick like the madden/fifa games is a good, proven idea that would work well. I know the budget is limited but making the main players have signature-ish movements would be cool, e.g. the ma'a nonu body swerve step and quade cooper/israel dagg's jumping touch rugby step. You don't even need the real players to do motion capture, im sure there are lots of people that can replicate these (i'm available by the way). And also players who don't/can't sidestep (e.g. conrad smith) would sort of just swerve rather than a pronounced step.

Player ratings i wouldnt worry about too much as long as we can edit them.

Forget all the franchise modes and all the rest of it just focus on making the AI/animations/physics better and then once the core gamplay is sorted then worry about the extras.

Here's an idea, not sure if anyone else has suggested (possibly because its a ropey one...) but if they have apologies:

Presumably the game will have some online mode/connection, therefore as has been suggested previously (by everyone I think) there should be some auto roster update download, so I think this could be used for a different mode...

In the lead up to club/international matches, in the week leading up to the match, there could be a network linked build up to each match, whereby, say, London Irish are going to play Gloucester this sunday, so in the week (or poss longer/shorter time) you could select to play the match (as you could manually) but the spin being it has taken into account the form/injuries of the team/players/previous games, and what could be awesome is the actual line ups would be automatically sync'd, and the commentary could take into account each teams previous games in the league, any outstanding players/try scorers etc.

This could even be built into (the also much suggested) franchise mode whereby you can play the season as, say, Waratahs, and then only play once a week against the actual opponents Waratahs are facing in the same week. The game could also have a sort of link like on Tiger Woods EA for sports news, preferably sports news articles on the game you are about to play.

The idea is basically to let you get pumped about the weekends game, get all the news, and allow you to paricipate in some big clashes ("TBG" for all you english prem fans).

I think the idea needs to be fleshed out a bit but hopefully you get my drift.

And the selling point and tag line for the game could then be "Be your team!!" - actually that sounds quite lame.

Forget all the franchise modes and all the rest of it just focus on making the AI/animations/physics better and then once the core gamplay is sorted then worry about the extras.

Except that a massive part of the replay value of a sports game comes from a franchise mode or similar option. I'd like to see it be able to be a career mode, in that you have to start at a low position (e.g.: Shute Shield) and then move on to higher jobs.

Except that a massive part of the replay value of a sports game comes from a franchise mode or similar option. I'd like to see it be able to be a career mode, in that you have to start at a low position (e.g.: Shute Shield) and then move on to higher jobs.

except that there is no replayability value at all if the gameplay sucks.. safe to say to gameplay needs plenty of work from the past games so they need to just make that good then worry about any other gimmicks. I would much rather play a game with only two teams and one game mode if it had a proper representation of rugby and was good to play than an updated roster version of rugby 08 with all these features and game modes and all these other things that don't really matter.

Latest posts