• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

I'm a new poster so sorry if I repeat things that have already been said, but there is too much to read on the 40 odd pages of this forum! I would echo those that say that the licenses are vital. It was good to have the GP and S14 teams in '08 but adding Magners and Top 14 is vital. At very least in terms of kit (including sponsor/ manufacturer) though could live without every single stadium etc. and would like to see B&I Lions added to the game again. Not keen on the idea of a form update online, since a player may be doing really well in your team but not so good in real life, for example someone like Shane Gerhaty was awesome at Northampton, then England used him in a different way and he was not so effective.

The other improvement I would like to see is for the transfers. I didn't like waiting for players to 'show and interest' in your team as many of them I didn't want, and others I did want never appeared for transfer. Not even necessarily looking to sign each star player, but sometimes it's good to sign other, maybe under rated players just to boost the squad. This could be improved with negotiations with players. If they didn't want to come to your club, you'd have to pay them LOADS in wages and even transfer fees or may not be able to agree terms if your team was poor and the player was too good. The ease of signing players could relate to League position and cup success etc. very similar to the more recent Pro Evo Soccer games.

How about unlock classic teams? Like England 2003, South Africa 2007, New Zealand 1989, Wales 1970s etc?

yes. even if it must be with generic kits and the use of numbers instead of names.

i recall Madden did this a few moons ago. though i was controlling #40, he had the stats and amp of Crazy Legs Hirsch.

a sense of history is quite nice.

and i haven't seen this since EA Sports Rugby 95 - build your own tournament, with any team in the game, and your choice of venues. and you choose the format be it 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 teams...

Last edited:
Other teams to play more running rugby, maybe spread the ball past the first 2 players.

Everybody is shouting about the Magners League saying you must include it, but I say that Currie Cup and Air New Zealand Cup are more important. With the Magners League, the only team missing from 08 is Connacht, every other team in the Magners league is in rugby 08 so it is not that important. Doing Magners League also means having to do a completely different kit, because Cardiff Blues in the Heineken Cup and the Magners League have different sponsor logos and such, which is a lot more work. Where as you guys already have heaps of teams, I say include all the other teams you had in 08, then if you have the money add in these ranked by my preference

1. British and Irish Lions tours
2. Top 14
3. Currie Cup / NPC
4. Magners League

Include something like the "Make a play" in Madden NFL, so that you can set up your own defensive set ups, often I wish I could have a winger back with the fullback to collect any kicked ball or just to have an extra tackler.

Yeah, like shoving a number 8 back there just to add a bit of bulk. In a real rugby game you have 3-4 players back there, a wing usually, a fullback a loose forward and sometimes the flyhalf if it really is a kicking battle.

Not Sure if these have been mentioned ??

7's Mode is a must. It gives the game a different dimension and im guessing it would be fairly easy to make.
Online Play is a must.
Create your own Pro like Madden or Fifa ? that would be great to just have one player and try dominate.
Chip and Chase ?? for some reason you can never chip and chase in any rugby game.
Side step and hits etc.. got to be with the right stick this time around.
Improve manager mode. more depth and training.

Random teams like the Lions, Baa baa's, World XV, Southern and Northern Hem Selelct XV. these teams you should be able to choose your own squads and tour with etc...

Not Sure if these have been mentioned ??

7's Mode is a must. It gives the game a different dimension and im guessing it would be fairly easy to make.
Online Play is a must.
Create your own Pro like Madden or Fifa ? that would be great to just have one player and try dominate.
Chip and Chase ?? for some reason you can never chip and chase in any rugby game.
Side step and hits etc.. got to be with the right stick this time around.
Improve manager mode. more depth and training.

Just shut up about sevens, seriously, everyone just shut up about it. It is a completely different game, complete different players, different skills are needed like explosive speed, higher stamina for non stop sprinting and different player builds compared to rugby union. It would cost a lot more, sevens is not needed, if you really want a high score game just play as the All Blacks vs Namibia or something and miss every tackle so you have to run after them aswell.

Just shut up about sevens, seriously, everyone just shut up about it. It is a completely different game, complete different players, different skills are needed like explosive speed, higher stamina for non stop sprinting and different player builds compared to rugby union. It would cost a lot more, sevens is not needed, if you really want a high score game just play as the All Blacks vs Namibia or something and miss every tackle so you have to run after them aswell.

Jeez. Bit harsh

or... they could do something similar to fifa 98's 5 a side option, and kick it in there as an extra.
or... they could allow 8 red cards per team.

high scoring match? 7s? last i checked, there were a few spikes (as there is in every sport), but the far majority of matches had scores comparable to 15s.

Jesus, chill out slightly. We're on a friendly semi-public internet forum where users from all backgrounds, of all ages, and of any 'newness' to the forum can come in and post their ideas.
For some people. 7's would be a really cool feature. Just because it may seem unrealistic to you doesn't mean it sounds unrealistic to others. It's been stated by the mods that this is supposed to be a fairly good-natured, friendly forum, and every time I've seen your username it's to be all high-and-mighty to other people.

Plus, Sevens players are often integrated into full 15man rugby (Tait being the first example I can think of), so the build issue you were yelling about? ********.

Plus, Sevens players are often integrated into full 15man rugby (Tait being the first example I can think of), so the build issue you were yelling about? ********.
Yup, and Tom Varndell and Ollie Philips (Wasps and Stade Francais respectively) are playing for England in the London 7s this month

Yup, and Tom Varndell and Ollie Philips (Wasps and Stade Francais respectively) are playing for England in the London 7s this month

Varndell! Really? That's cool to hear. He's still playing for Wasps when the season comes around though?

Yeah, they've only been called up for London/Edinburgh as far as I'm aware
I'm not completely up to date with the whole sevens scene but i think they ammend the squads every couple of tournaments, and these guys are the additions for the next two tournaments (can't hurt, for publicity, that they're pretty big names as far as sevens goes, both playing for big teams, and have good 7s records behind them as well)

7's mode is a must no matter what superstar with his agent thinks, how many players in the S14/CC/ITMC/Northern Hemisphere sides are current or former 7's players? HEAPS!

make it like the fifa 99 mini game dont take it too seriosly have it just for a bit of crack to create a bit of longevity...also for league modes training sessions like in madden would be cool to diversify the gameplay a bit

Why not have training for a real reason? The more you work on set piece moves or skills the better the players get, the more likely backline moves will come off and the team chemistry gets better and better. I'd also like it if you had say after 5 rounds your team that you've had gels and if you get an injury say to a 12 or 10 and bring in a new player it affects how good your team is and once your 1st choice player comes back they're not 100% till after like 2 games. Just ideas.

A proper physics engine, to allow for players weight to make a difference in tackles, we don't want Shane Williams picking up Os Du Rant and powering him back... we want Os Du Rant to flatten Shane Williams, because that's what would happen.

Latest posts