• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

Why not have training for a real reason? The more you work on set piece moves or skills the better the players get, the more likely backline moves will come off and the team chemistry gets better and better. I'd also like it if you had say after 5 rounds your team that you've had gels and if you get an injury say to a 12 or 10 and bring in a new player it affects how good your team is and once your 1st choice player comes back they're not 100% till after like 2 games. Just ideas.

I would love to have a "create a play" feature, I'd have Ali Williams kick the ball to the corner for Cory Jane to score.

And HB please make passing more fluid, I would love to have the ability to have my backs running the inside ball without passing to noone or getting it called forward.

It would be a cool to have all these put in one game but i doubt they will take up 50% of the suggestion here. But I all for it. Lets make Rugby a step closer to FIFA and Madden. Or borrow/use there resources.

i dont like how the AI likes to do a drop goal from a scrum. You shouldt be able to do that (its in the rules somewhere, needs to be two passes or a ruck formed before a drop goal can be taken)

i dont like how the AI likes to do a drop goal from a scrum. You shouldt be able to do that (its in the rules somewhere, needs to be two passes or a ruck formed before a drop goal can be taken)

no thats just off a free kick or penalty tap, you have to tap it then pass it to be able to take a drop goal. don't know where you got those rules from...

I hope all the team play in rugby world cup to be licensed, and not 08 as in rugby where teams such as Fiji, Samoa, Japan georgia were not licensed.
I think that though they are weak teams should be licensed.
and the animation of the delivery of the Webb Ellis Cup, should make the smallest cup size and not the previous game, which seemed the Ramon de Carranza Trophy.
3825260894_e79d867461.jpg

Hi guys

Well firstly make a version for PC :)

Secondly, and not coming from a development background I have no idea what the labour is, but something like the Varsity Cup, where universities from over the world play each other.

Cheers

Counter rucking: there has to be room for this, opportunistic counter rucking on slow ball is a crucial part of the game and being able to steal in the tackle is a feature that is so prominent in the real game, but has never been able to be explored/pulled off properly in a video game.

BALL PLAY-kick/pass variation
: we want a smorgasboard of passing and kicking options/animations, chip kicks from general play, box kicks, up and unders, droppies, grubbas, can all be improved and things like flick passes, mid palm-off flicks with a left or right option, popping off the ground in a tackle, #8 pop to halfback at the scrum, inside balls on the fly that don't go to noone

Improved positional AI:
Players in different positions need to know what they're doing off the ball, like covering for the fullback and forwards giving running options to the backs to suck in defenders in the line, more intuitive forward running off the ruck and the backs, chasing high balls, spreading in defence when not part of the ruck, not bunching, diving on loose ball, looking for switches and inside balls which you can connect with through simple passing controls (too early goes behind, too late goes forward-players running lines could have a good pass indicator above their head that starts orange then goes green then red, indicating the best time to take that option, this would allow for free-flowing running options and makes the fly half more important)

Improved Breakdowns, Set pieces & tackles: In 06and 08 we had the problem of being punished for good play, with ridiculous turnovers at crucial/unrealistic times. When you make a break, the momentum shift should be evident, and you should, more than likely win the ensuing ruck when tackled, as your team in going forwards and defenders have to retire from behind the gate. It should also be evident in defence when you make a dominant tackle that it's easier to steal the ball and/or counter the ruck (maybe if you make a dominant tackle you have 3 secs or so to compete for the ball by clicking the R3 button as fast as you can, do it for too long you get pinged by the ref (warning sign needed) or don't do it at all and just reset your Defence). you should have the option to pop off the ground in attack if your player is going forward with momentum into the tackle.

You should be able to have a bit more control in the maul, i.e. direction, players shaving off and gaining momentum etc. must be room for error though as if it's too dominant it gets stupid and boring. Lineouts could be a bit more varied, particulalry when challenging in defence and the ability to use short lineouts to create forward running options in midfield to stretch the defence and scrums could have more competitive control, too.

Improved defensive options: It would be awesome to include an on-the-fly defensive option system, whereby you could choose to, for example, to inflict a brutal rush defense when opposition ball is slow, to compliment this, you should be able to pull players out of the ruck if the ball is lost, to make defense more involved, more important and require more thought, if you include the ability to counter ruck, players will have to balance the opportunities that presents with the risks that it opens up outside the ruck if the ball gets cleared by the opposition quickly and vice versa (i.e. forward dominance and go forward via pick and go's and short balls, if you thin the defence out too much)-to counter this, refer to my points on more varied ball play....chipping options etc nullify rush defence etc etc etc.,

Tackling needs to be more varied, big hits were maybe a bit too easy to pull off in previous games, and in attack you could easily doa bit of crazy running to avoid tackles alltogether....half tackles, ankle taps, big hits, dead heats and non dominant tackles create and prevent opportunites being created, by making the physics in the tackling more realistic, and the AI of defending players more willing to attempt tackles from wherever they are, we'll see much more varied gameply, with half breaks and pop/flick passes and quick ruck ball etc playing a major part in developing the flow of gameplay...it would help to create a less one-dimensional playing environment, and reduce the temptation to take advantage of AI failings and glitches.

Player Abilities
: we should be able to notice significant attributes in certain prominent international stars.....Frans Steyn's Missile Launching boot, Juan De Jongh's incredible stepping skills, Richie McCaw's and Heinrich Brussouw's knack for stealing ball, Bakkies Botha's MASSIVE hits in general play and at the breakdown, Victor Matfield's Lineout dominance, Bryan O'Driscoll's ability to turn a game on its head from nowhere with ridiculous skill, agility and pace, Bryan Habana and Jean De Villiers Intercepting ability, Matt Giteau's slipperiness through the tackle and ability to get the ball to his supporting player in seemingly impossible circumstances, Quade Cooper's flair and defence drawing ability and array of passing and kicking types and skills, Rocky Elsom's Tackle busting and tackling, Schalk Burger's ridiculous energy levels and tackle effectiveness and tackle count and ball running, Morne Steyn, Jonny wilkinson, Dan Carter and yes, EVEN Chris Paterson's awesome kicking abilities, Ma'a Nonu's Takle busting and defence drawing and explosive acceleration!!! The list could go on forever, but it's mostly important in those KEY STARS in each team, REAL game breaking abilities that you can hone in on as you're playing the game to give your team the edge, these things need to be important, noticable and effective, so that you have to be both wary of them in defence and reliant on them in attack to a degree to balance it out and create opportunites either way.

situational EG: I'm talking slow ball for ireland, the Boks (on the fly of course) employ a solid rush defence, because they know (or can sense) that the ball is going to BOD, BOD get's hammered in midfield, tries the pop, loose ball, Frans Steyn picks up with one hand, bumps the first man, then half bumps the next but his leg gets caught, pops the pass out the back of his hand to a flying jacque fourie who draws the fullback and slings it to Bryan habana for an awesome counter attacking try!! this is how we want to play our next rugby game, decisions and tactics affecting what happens on the field, big hits, crazy skills and key men affecting the run of play, lots of pace and power and a completely engrossing experience in both attack and defence, having to think and make decisions based on you position on the field and how fast the ball is being recycled and how dominant the tackle is

and finally....

ONLINE RUGBY 2012!!!

so so crucial...really, the gameplay in singleplayer and local multiplayer (which we better not lose!) is what's most important here, but the addition of online rugby gaming would change my life!!! pitting your National Team in an Online World Cup/Heineken Cup/Tri Nations/6Nations...or even just game for game would be absolutely awesome.

SO HB PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE listen to us, this game will hopefully be awesome, and if it's everything i hope it will be, i promise you this...I'll never play FIFA again! BOOM!

Counter rucking: there has to be room for this, opportunistic counter rucking on slow ball is a crucial part of the game and being able to steal in the tackle is a feature that is so prominent in the real game, but has never been able to be explored/pulled off properly in a video game.

: we want a smorgasboard of passing and kicking options/animations, chip kicks from general play, box kicks, up and unders, droppies, grubbas, can all be improved and things like flick passes, mid palm-off flicks with a left or right option, popping off the ground in a tackle, #8 pop to halfback at the scrum, inside balls on the fly that don't go to noone

Improved positional AI:
Players in different positions need to know what they're doing off the ball, like covering for the fullback and forwards giving running options to the backs to suck in defenders in the line, more intuitive forward running off the ruck and the backs, chasing high balls, spreading in defence when not part of the ruck, not bunching, diving on loose ball, looking for switches and inside balls which you can connect with through simple passing controls (too early goes behind, too late goes forward-players running lines could have a good pass indicator above their head that starts orange then goes green then red, indicating the best time to take that option, this would allow for free-flowing running options and makes the fly half more important)

Improved Breakdowns, Set pieces & tackles: In 06and 08 we had the problem of being punished for good play, with ridiculous turnovers at crucial/unrealistic times. When you make a break, the momentum shift should be evident, and you should, more than likely win the ensuing ruck when tackled, as your team in going forwards and defenders have to retire from behind the gate. It should also be evident in defence when you make a dominant tackle that it's easier to steal the ball and/or counter the ruck (maybe if you make a dominant tackle you have 3 secs or so to compete for the ball by clicking the R3 button as fast as you can, do it for too long you get pinged by the ref (warning sign needed) or don't do it at all and just reset your Defence). you should have the option to pop off the ground in attack if your player is going forward with momentum into the tackle.

You should be able to have a bit more control in the maul, i.e. direction, players shaving off and gaining momentum etc. must be room for error though as if it's too dominant it gets stupid and boring. Lineouts could be a bit more varied, particulalry when challenging in defence and the ability to use short lineouts to create forward running options in midfield to stretch the defence and scrums could have more competitive control, too.

Improved defensive options: It would be awesome to include an on-the-fly defensive option system, whereby you could choose to, for example, to inflict a brutal rush defense when opposition ball is slow, to compliment this, you should be able to pull players out of the ruck if the ball is lost, to make defense more involved, more important and require more thought, if you include the ability to counter ruck, players will have to balance the opportunities that presents with the risks that it opens up outside the ruck if the ball gets cleared by the opposition quickly and vice versa (i.e. forward dominance and go forward via pick and go's and short balls, if you thin the defence out too much)-to counter this, refer to my points on more varied ball play....chipping options etc nullify rush defence etc etc etc.,

Tackling needs to be more varied, big hits were maybe a bit too easy to pull off in previous games, and in attack you could easily doa bit of crazy running to avoid tackles alltogether....half tackles, ankle taps, big hits, dead heats and non dominant tackles create and prevent opportunites being created, by making the physics in the tackling more realistic, and the AI of defending players more willing to attempt tackles from wherever they are, we'll see much more varied gameply, with half breaks and pop/flick passes and quick ruck ball etc playing a major part in developing the flow of gameplay...it would help to create a less one-dimensional playing environment, and reduce the temptation to take advantage of AI failings and glitches.

Player Abilities
: we should be able to notice significant attributes in certain prominent international stars.....Frans Steyn's Missile Launching boot, Juan De Jongh's incredible stepping skills, Richie McCaw's and Heinrich Brussouw's knack for stealing ball, Bakkies Botha's MASSIVE hits in general play and at the breakdown, Victor Matfield's Lineout dominance, Bryan O'Driscoll's ability to turn a game on its head from nowhere with ridiculous skill, agility and pace, Bryan Habana and Jean De Villiers Intercepting ability, Matt Giteau's slipperiness through the tackle and ability to get the ball to his supporting player in seemingly impossible circumstances, Quade Cooper's flair and defence drawing ability and array of passing and kicking types and skills, Rocky Elsom's Tackle busting and tackling, Schalk Burger's ridiculous energy levels and tackle effectiveness and tackle count and ball running, Morne Steyn, Jonny wilkinson, Dan Carter and yes, EVEN Chris Paterson's awesome kicking abilities, Ma'a Nonu's Takle busting and defence drawing and explosive acceleration!!! The list could go on forever, but it's mostly important in those KEY STARS in each team, REAL game breaking abilities that you can hone in on as you're playing the game to give your team the edge, these things need to be important, noticable and effective, so that you have to be both wary of them in defence and reliant on them in attack to a degree to balance it out and create opportunites either way.

situational EG: I'm talking slow ball for ireland, the Boks (on the fly of course) employ a solid rush defence, because they know (or can sense) that the ball is going to BOD, BOD get's hammered in midfield, tries the pop, loose ball, Frans Steyn picks up with one hand, bumps the first man, then half bumps the next but his leg gets caught, pops the pass out the back of his hand to a flying jacque fourie who draws the fullback and slings it to Bryan habana for an awesome counter attacking try!! this is how we want to play our next rugby game, decisions and tactics affecting what happens on the field, big hits, crazy skills and key men affecting the run of play, lots of pace and power and a completely engrossing experience in both attack and defence, having to think and make decisions based on you position on the field and how fast the ball is being recycled and how dominant the tackle is

and finally....

ONLINE RUGBY 2012!!!

so so crucial...really, the gameplay in singleplayer and local multiplayer (which we better not lose!) is what's most important here, but the addition of online rugby gaming would change my life!!! pitting your National Team in an Online World Cup/Heineken Cup/Tri Nations/6Nations...or even just game for game would be absolutely awesome.

SO HB PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE listen to us, this game will hopefully be awesome, and if it's everything i hope it will be, i promise you this...I'll never play FIFA again! BOOM!

what he said!

I believe there is alot of improvements that can be made in relation to the sidestepping movements of players. Rather than the round step thing used in rugby 08, players used short, fast, sharp angle changes to avoid tacklers. Not a runaround technique employed by Rugby 08.

Im thinking that a new system similar to the Madden series could be introduced. I hope that people agree or could make improvements of my sidestep idea so here goes.

Using the right analog stick, not only the direction of the sidestep (left, right) should be relevent but also the degree. For example, in todays real life game of rugby, players such as Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds), Nanai-Williams (chiefs) and many other players step 90 degrees to avoid defenders. If the right analog stick is pushed to the right of the controller then a 90 degree step should be performed (only by players with a high enough stepping attribute). If the right analog stick is pushed toward the top right of the control then a 45 degree step should be performed.

The speed and sharpness of direction change of the step should vary in accordance to their sidestep rating. To add to the direction of the steps players with good balance should be able to continue running in the direction of the step but players with lesser balance could trip or stumble during some sidesteps.

Maddens trucking technique should be brought to this production as well.

I know you boys, and ladies working on the game know what i mean and have some way to implement this. Soooo please try fix the sidestepping issue that continues to frustrate me.

Thank you.. :)

Improved positional AI:

Player Abilities

and finally....

ONLINE RUGBY 2012!!!

that would provide awesome gameplay! would love that pilfering idea that you had about knowing when to go for the ball and when to let go. also with the big tackles maybe there should be a button for the big hit (or the hit stick like madden) and for certain players it pays off most of the time and others might miss the tackle or give away a penalty from a high hit. also like the idea of running the forwards off the backs and having better off the ball options. Good ideas

hey new to Rugby forum, someone on ign posted ages ago about a new rugby game and had to come straight to see for myself there is loads going on. GREAT

i remember posting on EA forums after Rugby 08 there was loads of suggestions.

my own ideas would be

*more fluid gameplay
* AI to be a bit more unpredictable, especially in hard mode
* a season that would match any other sports game, real indepth player control like internationals are not allowed to player more then x amount of league matches for club
* develop players into internationals, promote yourself to be both international manager based on team performance
* update the munster kit, 08 had the 06 munster jersey with white shorts from 05.... also Denis Leamy doesnt look like Zidane
* 7s rugby would be incredible as another mode
* Definately online play, i would never look at another game again, it would be a dream
* rework lineout and scrum engine.
* get rid of STARS we know who they are, its also a bit based on opinion
* is it too much to ask for NPC or CURRIE CUP
*League needs to tie in to all others. eg. you start with an NPC team in NZ, you play a season, manager and players get promoted to Super 14, after a season or two (good seasons) you get offered the all blacks job, and you build to the world cup and lions tours. the old system in World League was ok, but sometimes the goals were a bit ridiculous like you have to finish 1st in your first season.

please please please listen to us HB, this means so much more to us then all other games

I'd like to see a new loading screen
possibly similar to the fifa one. Where it is a one on one with the goal keeper except it be a one on one with the full back.
Just a suggestion now

I would like to see for competitions involved on the game. Such as French League, Magners League, European Challenge Cup as well as The Heineken Cup, Guinness Premiership, Super 14 also International tours included. Another twist would be if we could have the Rugby 7's competition on it as well.

i think there should be a chip and chase kick as well as a grubber and cross feild as well as the obvious kicks
more movements on the trick stick e.g step goose step spin fend drop shoulder and each player should do this difrently e.g masanga dosent step like lomu and a foward dosent step like a back
keep the quick throw and off loads
star players should have star move e.g lomu running over people rokokokoe spin masga goose step dan carter kick just using thoes players as examples. manual turn overs if 1st to u ruk
more debth in the back line
ref on feild
more options at break down
tackles should have more options e.g spare tackle, shoulder charge, around the ankles, ball and all, diving, tackle ankle tap
selection on defensive shape e.g sliding, wide, tight, rushing,
players stats reflectid better on the field and more acurate

i think what will attract alot of people is something like what fifa has with the become a pro where you can pick a player or make a player and play soely as that player threw the season, but i think you should be able to have this option in quick game also where you can choose to play as a hole team or as an individual, and when you choose to play as an individual or in be a pro you should have a 1st person camera veiw where the view is from your selected players eyes so its as though you where that player on the feild.. abit like fifa

also a 7s season would be amazing if you could incorperate this and a manager mode mutch more teams and and compatitions and mabe the top 4 teams fom each premiership e.g super 14 guiness premiership etc etc the go into a new compatition (world premiership) and play off for a world club trophy

and for loading maby have it like fifa accept insted of the goal keeper have it 1 on 1 with the full back or mabe 100m sprints with some of the speedsters

just a few ideas that you could eleberate on to improve the game

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a newcomer from Italy!
I'm still a Rugby06 user, cause I hadn't found in R08 so differences to justify the upgrade... and I started to create players and edit rosters when a 08 player does not appear in 06 version. I'm pretty happy of this game, exept for a few well known things (late tackle, tackle in the air...).
I didn't have the time to read all messages, but I find a lot of positives and smart ideas for this new game under development!

So, please be patient if I repeat something said before! (and be patient for some english mistake!)

- I want a good defensive plan/organization, I don't know if in R08 this problem has been solved, but when you play R06 and select any kind of defence, only the first 2 men after the ruck/maul really go forward, all the others (centres, wings and so on) just run away opening an ENORMOUS HOLE in the midfield!!! (and the AI doesn't do that), I just can't defend in a realistic way, I only put pressure with the first two players, try to tackle the ball carrier immediatly or to pursuit the ball and catch the follower carrier, and though this is often an advantage for me, I don't like to play in this way.
Would it be nice if the back three could be adapted by AI upon the opponent's kicker...

- I'd like to have a better way to control the tackler, I mean: if a player I control runs next to the ball carrier, he should try at least to grasp him, even if I don't use the tackle button (which should do only the real hard tackle), and compared to the tackle made with the correct button, it should be more weak and more simple to break.
In R06 there is a problem: if you're running next/beside the ball carrier and push the tackle button, your player dive in the direction he's running and if the opposition is only 50cm to the left/right, the defender don't even touch him, but if you keep the players running next to him 50cm he also never try to grasp him!

- more camera wide angles, I know this is one of the real upgrade of R08, I use to play with Camera1 (fixed behind your attacking/defending line) cause I found it more naturally to play and see gap btw defence, but I can't see the touch line... after playing and playing now I now where to kick, but it's not always immediate...

- I like all the attacking moves, with the possibility to select the ball reciver, but I'd like to see them at a good real speed, not at walking pace and with the defence who runs easily into you!
(and please please: ADD this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFxWrwJh8y8.. I use to do it on the pitch and it ALWAYS works! It's impossible to stop at 5-10m to the goal line) :p

- Improving the way to kick the ball: in R06 it's impossible to make a grubber long enough, without get tackled; should add a chip&chase way in open play (good call nate1691!!!); chance to send dropgoals from 40/50m (depending by the player you're kicking with). And also if you kick the ball down the field, 9/10 the opposite 15 catches it, this doesn't happen to you (especially if the opposite 10 is Carter/Wilko/MeCreated :D )

- I loved the lineout system implemented in Rugby04! A lot of moves, with a lot of option also with 6, 7 and 8! It's a pity not using 6, 7 and 8 in R06/08

- when you play a penalty quickly, if the defenders stop you inside the 10m, it should have been a penalty 10m forward from the first one, this is the rule!

- when you chose to kick at goal a penalty, the team must stay 10m from the ball, not behind the goal line!

- minitour mode NH vs. SH and viceversa

- for club competition & exhibition match mode (clubs, internationals, all-stars) 30 men rosters, but for international tournaments (RWC, 6N, 3/4N, B&I Lions) 35 men rosters!

Well, that's it for me and for now!

Sorry again for my english if I made some mistake!! :p

cheers and good work, I'm sure it's gonna be a great game!

Last edited:
Not only should players and teams be licensed, stadiums should too. Getting a tad frustrated that Fifa only licenses the "big" stadia and not many of them. Playing games at Welford RD, The Wreck etc I feel is a must and will add to the realistic feel of the game.

I have one suggestion.

I found the running lines on previous rugby games to be very restricted.You'd get the ball and have to run directly at the opposite player or use speed to go around the player. How about with the right joystick you could move the player to the right or left of the ball carrier and set up various running lines. In set backline plays from the set piece this could work. An example would be a fly half running with the ball from a scrum, you could then use the right joystick to bring in the Inside centre (no.12) and pop a short ball for a crash ball. This would allow players to attack gaps and space not men...which really is the aim of running rugby. Alternatively to the short pop you could use this control to push a receiver wider, this would unbalance things in the midfield and break things up a bit. IT opens the game up to unbalanced midfields, interceptions and a whole lot more.

I always find with rugby games its very difficult to make space, you have to ruck and mall 4/5 times and then hope there is an overlap and go around players. For me the ability to open up gaps and space is fundamental in the game.

Anyone agree? Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I like the idea that HB will try a few things with this ***le, experiment with different ideas and ways of working, even if some fail. Im not talking entirely new ball physics (although that would be good) but running styles, tackling graphics, scrummaging etc Lets have some weird tapping and rotating of the analogue stick to maul, tilting of the pad to rotate the scrum, lets have some blue sky thinking and other such management speak!

So what im trying to say is, Id be happier if they tried some new things and they were rubbish, than not trying anything at all and making a mediocre ***le that is great for about 20 minutes and then gets really boring.

In a bid to start this blue sky thinking, I would love to see mauls be determined by the coordination of the analogue sticks, like in Fight Night, so in order to drive the maul, the sticks would have to be aligned perfectly in a certain spot to do this, otherwise it breaks up and goes to ground. his should be difficult to achieve well (as real mauling is) and should become a real skill...

A similar thing could be in place for scrums, but timing would be an extra element, so on the "crouch" you have to tap the sticks, on "touch" you have to tap them again, on "engage" thats when you have to align the sticks as with the maul. Now, depending on the strength of your opposition scrum the task of aligning the analogue sticks is either more or less difficult, and if the timing is off for any element the scrum would collapse and, depending on who go it wrong, the reset could go to the other team, or a penalty if collapsing is deemed deliberate.

Thats all I have right now

Latest posts