• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

I did enjoy the classic matches in Rugby 2008, although I thought it was lacking the classic players. I would suggest having these classic players in the old classic teams. and have these players available in the normal roster line up for custom leagues etc.

A quick note, music. The soundtrack is good but after a few hours of gameplay the music is so annoying! I like the the Subways and all but twenty times a day is like talking to an English football fan! Use opera songs or something, just long songs you don't relaise your listening to. Like the Lord of rhe Rings soundtrack! Thats good music or anything by Biffy Clyro.

the abillity to edit players as they play in leaques for example when playing tri-nations with SA the players with best performance and such and players on the field in your game playing for ai aswell score points to better the players abilities sort of like picking up experience and such and the points can be used in the player/team rooster. more realistic kicking like depth and hight and stuff like that for example in 2008 Morne steyn strougled to kick further than 25m which is very unrealistic school players can do beter than 25m and when puntin victor matfield can punt twice the distance then M.Steyn can which is bullshit coz victor struggles to grubber a ball.
more realistic scrummiging will be a great thing and more realistic rucking its to easy to steal the ball from a ruck. let the elite ai do more team movements and fast paced rugby that will be a lot of fun because in 08 for example playing against NZ as AI they play normal slow paced rugby and then every last 10 min they do fast paced rugby and thats not NZ they along with SA and Eng are known for alot of fast paced hard tackling adrinilin pumping rugby games
please put in more modes like the currie cup and NZ and Aus club rugby and maby a sevens rwc mode and i would love to see that young upcomming players and a u/21 mode is put in aswell put in lots of stuff and modes and players to choose from thats fresh and upcomming and online will rock!!! go on i knw you want to use a bluray or 2/3 DL dvd's for the best rugby game ever

I'd like to see some video ref decisions. maybe if it's close to the touchline or something like that. Also instead of unlockable legends how about unlockable classic teams like the lions 74 or all blacks 87. Then once those teams had become unlocked you could have the players accessible for clubs

I'd like to see some video ref decisions. maybe if it's close to the touchline or something like that. Also instead of unlockable legends how about unlockable classic teams like the lions 74 or all blacks 87. Then once those teams had become unlocked you could have the players accessible for clubs

I agree about the Video Ref- it would be nice but not an essential feature. I think it would be more realistic for HB to have unlockable players rather than unlockable teams as there are already enough teams they have to create for the game!!!

im trying to get use to page.where am i?,new to this

they should have reply ref.like go up stairs like cricket,theres a few times i should of won the world cup against my twin.

thats in rugby 08

that be mean unlocking the lions,and unlock all the old school teams..

Last edited by a moderator:
man all sounds good but at the mo i dont care as i am playing a ps2 game on a ps3 surely it can only get better, i mean rugby 08 was not that bad.i just bought maden11 just to get by but it is no rugby game

THINGS TO IMPROVE ON:

DIFFICULTY:
- Increased Difficulty
- Online gameplay

GAMEPLAY:
- More tackling animations
- Remove "Star Players" system
- Allow players to play outside their given positions without affecting their performance
- ELVs
- Use of the TMO
- Ability to "hold up" the ball inside the in-goal (could be done in the same way as Madden's "Fight for the Fumble")
- Faster kicking
- Smoother transitions between different animations
- Removal of the "high-tackle button". Could be replaced with an "agressive tackle" button similar to that seen in Sidhe Interactive's NRL - Rugby League series
- Set plays from the lineout
- More control at the scrum; ability to time the hit of the scrum by pressing (X) as the ref calls "ENGAGE!" to either gain a good hit at scrum-time or be penalised for an early hit
- More interceptions
- Set plays are faster and work more efficiently
- Defensive calls, eg: Man, Drift, Rush and Kick Return
- More realistic animations for the shoulder-charge, hand-off and sidestep

LICENSING:
- Licensing for all international teams
- Possible inclusion of more competitions, particularly the Magners League, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Pacific Nations Cup and European Nations Cup

PLAYERS AND TEAMS:
- More player uniqueness, especially with big name players. Eg: Bryan Habana's unique running style, Wilkinsons strange kicking posture and Matt Giteaus unusual headgear
- Different body proportions - Eg: Francois Steyn and Pierre Spies both have similar heights and weights, but Steyn has bigger legs whereas Spies has a much larger upper body
- Teams play with different styles, eg: Fiji play a fast, running-rugby game whereas England often keep the ball in the forwards and kick more than average. Teams such as South Africa are more likely to attempt drop-goals than teams like New Zealand.
- At least one stadium from every country featured in the game (So that Russia no longer have to play their home games at "Le Park, France" or have Uruguay play their home games in Buenos Aires)

CUSTOMISATION:
- Ability to create a team
- Ability to create a tournament
- Ability to customise a tour
- Create-a-player has a wider range of face templates covering many different races (Most people, I included, are not very good at making our own player faces and would happily select a template face that looks about-right)

OTHER:
- Online team and roster updates
- Variety in the soundtrack - Not a bunch of songs that're all rock and sung by british artists. Mix it up a little: New Zealand RnB, Argentine Rock, maybe some traditional South African beats ? The music needs to represent the modern internationality of the sport, not its English origins. Especially if it's to be released before the RWC.

Well thats my contribution to the discussion, i hope my suggestions are taken in (or at least read) by the people at HB . Thanks :D

maybe an international manager mode? which allows the player to select the international squad for the upcoming tournament (six nations, tri nations, whatever...) :)

Variety in the soundtrack - Not a bunch of songs that're all rock and sung by british artists. Mix it up a little: New Zealand RnB, Argentine Rock, maybe some traditional South African beats ? The music needs to represent the modern internationality of the sport, not its English origins. Especially if it's to be released before the RWC.

Very cool suggestion. There are already enough gameplay suggestions on this board to choke a donkey (and rightfully so). There is alot more flexibility in the next-gen systems, so the menu areas of the game should receive their own proper treatment worthy of a next-gen rugby ***le. As a truly world sport, I think it is only fair to have an international music flavor. It also gives newcomers to the game a sense that while rugby is a game tied closely to history and tradition, that it is also modern game.

While we're on the subject of non-gameplay features. I'd like to see some snippets of rugby history (old and recent) tied into loading screens and the menu.

I'd like to see more emphasis placed on player Stamina too. This is such a massive feature of pro rugby and can often be the major deciding factor in how a teams chooses to structure their game plan, as well as the deciding factor in who wins a match.

Some teams, who have better stamina levels for their players, opt for a fast paced game where they run the opposition around the park and don't let them get a breather. This tends to wear down an opponent before they are put to the sword later in the game. An example of this style in the All Blacks and the Reds in 2010.

The opposite tactic is where teams kick to touch a lot and play a more structure slower paced game. This tends to suit the more direct forward orientated sides who don't have the stamina to play expansively for long periods of time.

So, this skill (Stamina) should be included for every player and team. A low stamina player will tire in the game quicker meaning they won't be run quickly for very long. Put a fit fast guy up against a slow unfit guy and he'll have a bigger mismatch to exploit. Stamina will therefore be a short term factor and a long term factor.

Think about it like the energy bar in boxing games. The minor bar will drop if a player does too much intensive work in a short time, but it'll go down faster the lower a players stamina.
There is also the long term factor, where over the course of the game the total energy drops and cannot be recaptured from a short rest.

This leads then to tactical substitutions, a VERY important part of real life rugby, and making sure you have a strong 22 man squad (or even more for a long season) instead of just the starting XV. A player, in Rugby Manager Mode, who is tired before the game (from playing too many matches without rest etc) will tire faster in the game. He'll also be more susceptible to injuries.

Academy players brought in by scouts will start off with lower stamina, so you'll need to train them up (like in real life) before they can handle 80mins of rugby with the older guys.

I reckon this factor (Stamina) has the ability to dramatically add value to Rugby 2012

[Gameplay]

- Rucks should not be too manual, otherwise it will ruin the flow of the game
- Scrums should use a right stick technique (flick the right stick back to crouch and flick forward on the engage), where you time your engage with the referee (giving the option of engaging too early)
- Scrums could maybe have buttons that affect the scrum, for example; click the right trigger and the right prop will start boaring in, the more you hold it down or press it the more he boars in.
- Kicks should have a spin factor (maybe use the same thing as PGA tour does with pushing the left stick in a direction and tapping A)

[Modes]

- Please have the world domination mode more like manager mode in FIFA
- Include a be a pro mode or superstar mode but more in-depth like superstar mode than be a pro mode
- Join the legends mode with unlockable memoribilia, i.e. bringing back old jerseys when you kick the goal with John Eales.
- Maybe even have memoribilia unlocked like achievements, for example; kick the winning goal in full time to unlock the John Eales kick or Run over the winger 3 times in a match to unlock some Jona Lomu footage
- Training pitch where you can experiment with your new lineout calls, backline moves. Also include a tutorial in there and some free play modes where you can practise scrums, attacking plays, kicking in-game, place kicking, etc.
- Online mode with certain type rooms, i.e. beginner/semi-pro/pro/world class/ legend room, Australian/England/North American/Canadian/etc. room (for better ping with less lag)
- This is a concept i've been trying to perfect but maybe a weekly tournament mode where you can set up a tournament with your mates involved. You dont have to play each other, but instead you play their team that they have chosen and they play yours within that week. If you beat their team by more than they beat yours then you get the points. or if you happen to be online at the same time you can play each other online. just something ive been tweaking for other sports games

[Customisation]

- Line outs, forward attacking channels, backline moves, defensive positions and movement should have very in depth customisation
- Team tactics, i.e. what you do in each position of the field
- Customise your line up and save them so you can quick load them before games

[Other]

- Attention to detail, i.e. player faces, jerseys, etc.
- After you win a tournament or cup can you please have a ceremony, even if its just the team holding up the trophy because I HATE in FIFA how they dont do that. You want a bit of atmosphere at prestigious events.
- Rugby chants like in the other games but louder and more crowd like, swing low sweet chariot sounds so good when the english belt it out.
- The haka and other versions for other island teams. (both haka's) But make them skipable.

Hopefully i have some input that you like.

I do not know if someone has already said it ,
but it would be great a "become a legend" or " be a pro" mode.
*HD graphics!

Regarding a Sevens mode, I think it would be interesting to implement it, although I do agree it should not be featured in the upcoming games, HB should focus on XVs. However, maybe they could do something like NHL Arcade or NFL and release a 7s ***le on PSN/XBOX marketplace in order to try out some new gameplay ideas as well as providing the public with a sevens game at a cheap price.

I think it would be nice if we could charge a goal kick, and when we do it, if the kicker isn't very experienced, he would get nervous and we started to hear a heart beat, and the player start shaking so as the kicking bar, and the kick would be more dificult... that could happend when its a game deciding kick like in the world cup final or something like that..

i don't know, probably its a lame idea but i kinda like it..

I think 7's lends itself quite well to an arcade style format of play like NFL Blitz. I think that would be a cool option through the PSN/XBox.

I'm not totally ruling out 7's being in Rugby 2012 though. HB has alot more room to work with on the next gen systems, so it could be done. I won't be surprised to see a 7's stand alone game as we get closer to the 2016 Olympics. It's probably inevitable.

Create your own league - Theres always debate about how competitions should be structured

Although there will probably be a world league again, it would be great if you could make you own league EG: Choose your teams to play in a league, choose wether it will be pools, conferences, or just a log. Then whether there will be quarters and semis or a 'round of 16', you could create your perfect league and ensure that its to your level of ability.

With this you could also choose international teams or just clubs, or a mix! North vs South League would be great.

More Leagues

There was no Currie Cup, NPC, Pacific Nations Cup, Asia Cup, European Leagues ETC, there needs to be more choice!

i think we should try and base the game around some of the best parts of Jonah Lomu Rugby on the ps1. the rucking system is brilliant and it plays as close to real rugby as possible, whereas i felt with rugby 08 that there wasnt any controlled motion to close play i.e hand offs/steps it all felt controlled by the game not by you. In lomu rugby you could run lines step past people without a set step and hand offs were simple but effective. With graphics and obviously teams and players all updated....more tournaments and crucially the game must be harder! I lost interest in rugby 08 as i couldnt lose! not through being amazing at the game but having played it for so long elite became far too easy and so i think we should have to work very hard to win, at least then interest levels are higher as there is more of a challenge and will take more game time to be better and win more. i think the right analog stick should play a big part in the side step and hand offs and it should not be an 'animation' or set side step as it is in rugby 08 it should be able to be defended by a player controlled by you rather than the AI which never defends it properly and ends up on their back in the mud (basically they shouldnt rely on the attacking players timing but also the other players defense). The ruck shouldnt be decided by the AI either and even if you only have one player in the ruck you should still be able to compete for the ball as you would in real match. to summarise i think the player (us) should have more control as rugby 08 was too AI controlled. Obviously enhancements to the lineout and set pieces would be good as well. Im sorry this very long but i would like to say my bit and really look forward to the games release. please feel free to comment, hope it helps.

I do not think that this has been suggested before and it might seem a bit strange but my suggestion would be a variety of ways to challenge the haka. Maybe along with the line out and set play creators (if they exist) HB could also incorporate a 'Challenge the Haka' feature. These would range from Campese's response of continuing traning, or Willie John Mcbrides (I think it was him) Irish response (they locked arms and marched towards the all blacks). Also the stare contest tactic followed by wales and France would be the most simple. If you choose to challenge the Haka then the all blacks may start playing even better and both sides will be more hyped up (this may affect some players positively and some negatively).

I hope that no New Zealand people will take offense to this. The Haka is supposed to be a challenge and I believe that the option of challenging the Haka will be more entertaining and may add an additional challenge to playing the all blacks. This would also extend to the other Pacific Islander's versions.

I do not think that this has been suggested before and it might seem a bit strange but my suggestion would be a variety of ways to challenge the haka. Maybe along with the line out and set play creators (if they exist) HB could also incorporate a 'Challenge the Haka' feature. These would range from Campese's response of continuing traning, or Willie John Mcbrides (I think it was him) Irish response (they locked arms and marched towards the all blacks). Also the stare contest tactic followed by wales and France would be the most simple. If you choose to challenge the Haka then the all blacks may start playing even better and both sides will be more hyped up (this may affect some players positively and some negatively).

I hope that no New Zealand people will take offense to this. The Haka is supposed to be a challenge and I believe that the option of challenging the Haka will be more entertaining and may add an additional challenge to playing the all blacks. This would also extend to the other Pacific Islander's versions.

nah bro it isnt a challenge .

Latest posts