• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

nah bro it isnt a challenge .

"In our culture the haka is about pride and mana and it's about a challenge to the opposition."
The words of Buck Shelford, former All Black.

Do you or any other fans think that implementing this feature would be a good idea?

Last edited:
"In our culture the haka is about pride and mana and it's about a challenge to the opposition."
The words of Buck Shelford, former All Black.

Do you or any other fans think that implementing this feature would be a good idea?

If it's a challenge, why can't other nations challenge back. Without having a huge " your being disrespectful to the haka" talk. The fact is the Haka is about entertainment, and there will be a day when the AB sell the rights to have a name put to it such as the "New Zealand Coca Cola Haka"

If it's a challenge, why can't other nations challenge back. Without having a huge " your being disrespectful to the haka" talk. The fact is the Haka is about entertainment, and there will be a day when the AB sell the rights to have a name put to it such as the "New Zealand Coca Cola Haka"

Oh dear me. Missing the point much. I'm sure my Kiwi colleagues will teach you the error of that statement.

Have at it lads.

I... I dont even know what to say here. You really don't know what youre talking about

Creation/Edit Mode

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var sid=942;var vid=15723;var spo=1;var width=300;var height=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://www.networkn3.com/scripts/vplay5-start-paused.js"></SCRIPT><IFRAME height=250 marginHeight=0 src="http://www.networkn3.com/iframe/embed-start-paused-small.php?vid=15723&sid=942&embedded=1&spo=1&pid=&width=300&height=250" frameBorder=0 width=300 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
It would be nice to have the complete freedom and ability to edit current players, squads/teams, tournaments and tours.

An indepth creation mode with the ability to create not only players but custom teams, custom tours and custom tournaments.

Custom Teams (complete with name, strips, logos and custom squads)

Custom Tours (with the ablility to take any team, to any part of the world and customise a tour against any opposition)

Custom Tournaments (be able to create your own tournament, with any teams, formats etc).

Cheers:D

Make running with the ball fun. Player physics in Fifa 10 is pretty damn cool. Once you change direction with a player, he will lose speed and will take a short while to get to that speed again. In Rugby 08 you could change direction and retain your speed. Made it too easy to run with the ball.

Passing could also do with some attention. It feels like you can't truly choose who you want to pass to. If there is someone next to you on both sides but you would rather pass to the person right behind you, you cant. Passing with the right analog maybe? Then when you through a forward pass it really feels like it was your fault. You can then introduce different pass types by holding down on a shoulder button or so.

I read somewhere that the rucks are being looked at. Double thumbs up.

Kicking needs to be tuned. I guy like Frans Steyn can kick a ball like no one else in the world, however someone like Dan Carter is a lot more consistent in accuracy. In fact Frans Steyn blows hot and cold with his basic gameplay as well. When he is having a good game he is really having a good game. (Rating idea - consistency) I digress.. The grubber and the drop kick especially is the two kicks that seem almost worthless in 08.

Im not really agreeing with the whole 7s idea that most on this forum has, but if the physics can be sorted out then maybe a 7s game mode can be a fun addition.. This could also be used for some sort of a training benefit? (bonus in speed and ball handling or something)

How about some unlockables like:

Classic Players (ie; Jonah Lomu, John Eales, Gavin Hastings etc)

Classic Teams (1987 All Blacks, 1978 Barbarians, 1984 Wallabies, 2003 English etc)

Classic Games (1995 RWC Final, British and Irish Lions vs South Africa - 2nd Test 2009, 2003 RWC Final, Barbarians vs All Blacks 1978 etc)

Throw in some cheats like:

Unlimted sprint , endurance etc

Max strength, kicking range etc

Cheers

How about some alternative best of the best teams to accompany the British & Irish Lions like:

A World XV, Six Nations XV, Tri/Four Nations XV, Anzac XV, NZ Maori, Pacific Islanders XV, Super 15 XV, Heineken Cup XV, Top 14 XV, Northern and Southern Hemisphere XV, Celtic XV etc.

What have you been smoking my good man?

Im not really agreeing with the whole 7s idea that most on this forum has, but if the physics can be sorted out then maybe a 7s game mode can be a fun addition.. This could also be used for some sort of a training benefit? (bonus in speed and ball handling or something)

I like where you're headed with this idea. During franchise mode in most other sports games there are always mini-games to improve varying aspects of your players skills. That could be a cool way to tie 7's into a franchise mode.

There are many possibilities for 7's to be used in Rugby 2012, not just as a simple game mode. I think it can only help the game (and its sales) if it's included.

Like i said in the FAQ post i would like to see a become a legend mode (change the name as you wish) where you create a player/pick a current player and solely control him throughout his career.
A proper career mode where you control a club/clubs(multiplayer career mode perhaps?) throughout multiple seasons rather than just the one, also being able to make transfers and maybe have an academy which you can invest in to create better academy players.

Having just read bobbylilicious' post on the first page i totally agree with his manager mode and superstar mode suggestion! although i personally do like soccer
one more thing rugby 7's would be a good addition with it being an even better addition to the career mode like the middlesex sevens!

Last edited:
What about such game modes as Madden and Fifa have such as be a pro or captain your country?

Line out options should be different

Players more accurate as a lot has changed since 2008/player database upadate

Some kind of sevens tournament?

Online gaming will be sick!

Here are my ideas. I just want the core game play to be good and the rest will come over time. Good to know the priorities are right. Even though its a year away I'm already excited.

The ruck is without a doubt one the thing that needed the most work. Could I suggest that if a defender is there first they could use the right stick to try and pilfer the ball. This would work by having to push the stick in the right direction to be able to quickly get it(feedback given to the player via vibration). Obviously the longer you have (like at an isolated ruck) the more time to find the right direction to get the pilfer. Like wise the higher the individuals stat the easier and more lenient it is to find the right direction. Using a face buttons both attack and defense can commit numbers to a ruck. The more the defense commit the faster and more secure the ball will be (the first one or is necessary to reduce the chance to pilfer). Likewise the more the defense adds to the ruck the slower and less secure the ball for the attackers would be. If the defense committed enough to the ruck then a counter ruck would occur...

The only other areas that i think needs lots of work is line-outs and distributing to short runners. I love that there are only three possible jumpers at the line-out but more options in terms of what each does. I think it would be great to use shoulder buttons to allow the line-out to move players around so the jumpers are at different spots then simply press the corresponding face button to throw to them for ball of the top, hold for a maul, or double tap to hit a looping forward. That would be fantastic. I think you can drop the whole timing the jump with throw thing it just made it inaccessible and was pretty lame.

Distributing to short runners is a really hard one! It needs to allow for passing to multiple runners so that the Human defender can't just pick off ball runner and smash them!. I guess its possible for pressing one button for the half back to pick up and go left then pressing again to choose the runner but that is still clunky. So I don't know but I hope its is up there on your priority list

Thanks again guys looking forward to it.

One thing I think is essential to the 2012 game is a Manager mode or Career mode like in Fifa.
Where you manage your team tough a season, and have a transfer window and player growth is a must.

A transfer window where you dont have to swop a player to gain a new one.

For Example:

You are the Sharks in the Super 14 then your players who performed well get called up for the Springboks.

You can be left with the rest of your players to compete in Currie cup and develop some of the younger guys so that you can build a strong squad, Player & Club development will be great.

They could also offer you an international Coaching job if you doing well and can choice to take the offer or you can then take the job and compete in the tri-nations, Lions tour, Barbarians matches and Outgoing Tours. Let you choice your matches or give you tour options.

You could do the same as above with a superstar and you play as a single player like on madden 10.

Start in Currie Cup, Super 14, Springbok, Barberians.
Start in Guiness premiership, Heiniken cup, England, Lions Tour.

Career Mode!!!

One thing I think is essential to the 2012 game is a Manager mode or Career mode like in Fifa.
Where you manage your team tough a season, and have a transfer window and player growth is a must.

A transfer wher you dont have to swop one player for another would be great.

For Example:

You are the Sharks in the Super 14 then your players who performed well get called up for the Springboks.

You can be left with the rest of your players to compete in Currie cup and develop some of the younger guys so that you can build a strong squad, player & Club development will be great.

They could also offer you an international Coaching job if you doing well and can then compete in the tri-nations, Lions tour, Barbarians matches and Outgoing Tours. Let you choice your matches or give you tour options.

You could do the same as above with a superstar and you play as one player like on madden 10.

Start in Currie Cup, Super 14, Springbok, Barberians.
Start in Guiness premiership, Heiniken cup, England, Lions Tour.

Super15 & Update Rosters

You almost have to have the Super 15! The ***le of this game is Rugby 12 so you must have the Super 15. Also I think you may need to have the new 4 Nations tornament instead of the Tri Nations. In this modern day we can do almost anything over the Internet. To keep the game modern why don't you have an update roster option. You may get something flash up on the main menu saying "New Rosters Avalible" you go on to this and it may say that the 2012 All Blacks 4 Nations squad has been named would you like to change your New Zealand team roster to match this new team. If you click yes then it will update the team roster for you. Or even every couple of months you can get a full game roster check up where resently retired players are deleated and resently new players coming in to clubs are added to the roster. This is all via the Internet!

Updating rosters via DLC is a must have for any sports ***le these days. It takes away the long hours of slaving away keeping rosters updated and gives everyone more time to play and enjoy the game. This should be no different for Rugby 2012 since rugby ***les aren't released every year. Getting the most life possible out of the game is of the utmost importance when we're not certain how long we'll have to wait for another to be released.

The kicker for punting doesn't always have to be the 10, you see that players like Francois Steyn and Chris Latham who are fullbacks kick further but don't get a chance because the original set up made it always the 10 that was in the pocket.
Just a good thrt :D

Latest posts