• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

i have had an idea for the kicking for goal
what if you implemented a sort of Tiger Woods Golf Approach to the goal kicking, in using the right stick, and using timing as the key. If u kick it super hard, it is a lot harder to kick it dead straight, and is likely to curve out of goal. Oh and if that can't be done just add some sort of curving kick at goal, thatd be cool

In Game Music - Kasabian, White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys- you get the idea!

I realise there are budgetary restrictions, but from what i read everyone wants a manager mode and 'be a pro', yet in the Q&A the bloke said their will be no manager mode!

So whats the point in suggesting anything?

Its just going to be Rugby 08 with better graphics, which is alright, but id like to see it take a step forward.

Never Mind :(

Last edited:
i have had an idea for the kicking for goal
what if you implemented a sort of Tiger Woods Golf Approach to the goal kicking, in using the right stick, and using timing as the key. If u kick it super hard, it is a lot harder to kick it dead straight, and is likely to curve out of goal. Oh and if that can't be done just add some sort of curving kick at goal, thatd be cool

That seems okay but how would you go about it being more difficult for players with lower goal kicking stats?

in game play the ability to choose how the stand off stands either Flat, Middle, or Deep.

1. Mode where you play a career as one player and you start off at club level then progress to international and the lions like "be a pro" on fifa
2. Ragdoll contact where you never see the same identical tackle each time a player goes into contact
3. Sevens rugby (only top 10 teams to lower the cost of putting that feature in)
4. Pass meter like fifa 11
5. More competition in the rucks and no random turnovers
6. Manager mode either club level or international (if your managing a club well you can get called up to manage the international team as well as the lions)

A Director of Rugby (MANAGER) mode!!!!!!!,
create your own comp and teams(like every other sports game has),
better create a player,
better commentary like commentators we've actually heard of before (please Eddie Butler),
the comps should be:
Super 15
ITM Cup
Currie Cup
Tri-nations
World cup
6 Nations
Pacific nations cup
Heiniken Cup
Aviva premiership
RFU Championship
Magners League
French Top 14
British & Irish Lions Tour
better tackling modes and passing,
and a few more things but i wont take all the ideas.

What are we going to get:

A semi-licensed HD version of rugby 08, with no manager mode!
Massive let down, like rugby league live!

I've said it before and so have many others, but I literally don't care about manager mode, commentators(even though they are rubbish), create your own player(even though it would be cool).

What will keep you playing the game is exciting responsive dynamic core gameplay. If you have that, the man awesome modders operating in and around TRF have shown that they can more than make up for lack of certain licenses, kits etc. I'll take as much as I can get but if that's just playing England and France loads of times, as long as the gameplays there, thats what counts

Also, lets not forget how long it took for FIFA to actually become good. Now they have a model which every year they just basically make small moderations, change names, teams etc. If HB can build a good infrastructure to build around then the future is bright

That seems okay but how would you go about it being more difficult for players with lower goal kicking stats?

Yeah, just have it like most sports games, with the better kickers being more reliable and able to hit the "sweet spot" on the ball more consistently
And make matt giteau the lowest rating possible

oh and while im brainstorming,can a teams rating be based upon their players stats divided up or whatever system they use in fifa, so if ur a one man team and missing that player, the teams rating drops down
not have the previous systems on random numbers the developers decided on i.e France rated 92 in Rugby 08. Honestly?

More Competitions e.g Top 14, Autumn Internationals, Lions Tours, Anglo Welsh Cup, Magners League
MAKE IT HARDER, even Elite is far too easy
Improve stadiums and atmosphere in them, try and get some chants and songs in
More animations for tackle and ruck
More commentary phrases
Make it harder to play away from home
Make scrums have more of an impact but not as drastic as rugby 06, just more intense and physical
Momentum in a game should have more of an impact
Less star players
Harder to win grand slam etc
Stop the tackling whilst diving for a try in the try area

What about a full on stadium creator with lots of options and a team creator, with the option of importing your own logos and sponsors

To have the option of creating a team on the world league. And start with roockies,then start building a team...

Tackling - has anyone ever played Back-Breaker? Its like Madden, but you can NEVER have the same tackle again; the game is designed so that its much more realistic.
Backs - Maybe you could take control of the whole backs line? Drifting? Pushing up? Having some backs that tackle (unlike Rugby 08)
Kicking - Take less time. Also, make the ball bounce in different directions - the ball doesnt always bounce foreward.

Things I'd like to see in the game:
-LICENSES:Licenses are probably one of the most important things in the game, everyone wants to play with their favourite team fully kitted out and sponsored.
-Tackles:I'd like to see variations of tackles, for example to go for a dump, or an ankle tap.
-Ball physics:Ball physics will be really important when trying to make the game as realistic as possible, for example a drubber kick, the ball bobbles and requires timing.
-Weather:Weather affects rugby in real life, so it should affect in the game, wet conditions cause players to lose balance, knock on easier.
-Edit mode:There must be an edit mode for many reasons, maybe just for kitting our your favourite player with a new pair of boots or a hairstyle, or even creating your own persona for the game and assigning him to a team.
-Modes:I think that there must be some sort of league mode. Lets say Rugby World Cup, where you take your favourite nation through the cup, or Aviva Premiership mode, where you take your team to league victory.
-Clothes physics:Something we haven't seen in games for a while, sure clothes move realistically in games nowadays, but they stopped stains in football games, in rugby getting dirty is bound to happen, so the players kits should get muddy as they play.
-Player physics:This is an important part of the game, players have to feel different, and I don't just mean forwards and backs, take Matt Banahan and Chris Ashton, Ashton is quicker and more agile, making him more of a sidestepping finesse player, Banahan on the other hand is taller and more powerful. still quick but stronger, still a winger but more of a smash through player.
-Custom plays:The ability to simply design your own play or move, test it, and use it in a match.

Many thanks, hope you all agree.

I agree with Elliot. He's a fine gentleman.

In the way that first person shooters were revolutionised when 'rag doll' physics were introduced, meaning that no one bullet strike had quite the same effect as another, the same would take sports games on a level. Regardless of how many authentic licenses and pseudo-rewarding career modes are crammed into a ***le, I tend to get bored as soon as I feel like I'm playing more or less the same game over and over again, with familiar patterns of play and animations becoming burnt into my retina. Sport is compelling because, within a familiar framework and set of rules, every contest throws up it's own unique story. ******** to 'Be a Pro', 'Manager Mode' and clammering for comprehensive licensing, they are all totally superfluous until I'm motivated to come back to the game because the engine is innovative, varied and fun.

I hope HB are largely ignoring most of what people are asking for on this forum, because if they aren't, they'll produce another sports game with all sorts of modes that I won't ever use, because they forgot to make the actual game any good.