• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

For me

Sleightholme, Hassell-Collins are the two stand outs for me.

Loader, Radwan, Muir, O'Flaherty have all been playing well, though I haven't seen much of Radwan personally.

Thorley hasn't been as good as previously and for me needs to find a bit more form.

That's fair.

Thorley has been injured or banned for the majority of the season so he's not really had an opportunity to shine.

O'Flaherty is a funny one ... the form winger in a top side but never really gets spoken about in an England conversation. He's lacking in a couple of areas IMO, but on the other hand he's shown he can perform in the Champions Cup. Not really sure how good he is TBH?

Really disappointed not to have seen Murley really in competition for a place to be honest.

A really fantastic prospect in the Nowell mould but looks like he's struggled to kick on this last season and a half, really after that elbow injury I guess.

Hope he's not found his ceiling as he offers something pretty different to a lot of the names above

Bassett maybe also a shout? Not seen him loads this season but in previous he's been pretty impressive.

Honestly given its Jones I can see a world where we don't see many of these names and it's

1. May
2. Coka
3. Thorley
4. Nowell
5. Sleigholme (apprentice)

Thorley has been injured or banned for the majority of the season so he's not really had an opportunity to shine.
Yeah not been a great season for him with the above, plus general Gloucester stink on a lot of players - shame because I'm a big fan when he's on form

I'd expect him to be there just because he's been in and around the EPS for a while now so EJ obviously rates him (though not enough to play him...)

when is the squad announced
Next Thursday I think?

Really disappointed not to have seen Murley really in competition for a place to be honest.

A really fantastic prospect in the Nowell mould but looks like he's struggled to kick on this last season and a half, really after that elbow injury I guess.

Hope he's not found his ceiling as he offers something pretty different to a lot of the names above

Bassett maybe also a shout? Not seen him loads this season but in previous he's been pretty impressive.

Honestly given its Jones I can see a world where we don't see many of these names and it's

1. May
2. Coka
3. Thorley
4. Nowell
5. Sleigholme (apprentice)

Nowell is injured so is highly unlikely.

I really like Murley too although I don't think he's a test player in waiting. I think he'll be a very good club player which is similar to what I'd say about Bassett.

Next Thursday I think?

Nowell is injured so is highly unlikely.

I really like Murley too although I don't think he's a test player in waiting. I think he'll be a very good club player which is similar to what I'd say about Bassett.
Thought Nowell was due back very soon / in full training as of last week or have I imagined that?

Could be? I thought I read he was out for the season but he's injured so often that I've lost track.

Nowell is another Tuilagi. I wouldn't pick either until they can prove their fitness. Yes they are quality players, but there is no point trying to build a squad with players who might get injured. Aim is 2023, we want players who have played regularly and consistently from now on.

Nowell is another Tuilagi. I wouldn't pick either until they can prove their fitness. Yes they are quality players, but there is no point trying to build a squad with players who might get injured. Aim is 2023, we want players who have played regularly and consistently from now on.
I think Nowell is a different to Tuilagi. If you have Tuilagi in the centre then your game plan revolves around having him there because he's so different to other options. That leaves you exposed if you pick him as you have to alter your game plan when he isn't available as there's no one to replace him.

If Nowell is injured then there are plenty of other wingers who can come straight in and do a similar job.

I think Nowell is a different to Tuilagi. If you have Tuilagi in the centre then your game plan revolves around having him there because he's so different to other options. That leaves you exposed if you pick him as you have to alter your game plan when he isn't available as there's no one to replace him.

If Nowell is injured then there are plenty of other wingers who can come straight in and do a similar job.
Agreed, but if you are EJ and you want your players to play a certain way and use certain tactics then they need to be playing regularly. On top playing together develops understanding with teammates. Not saying Nowell wouldn't play well, more that there are other wingers who, as you said, do a similar job and get some consistent international game time.

There are plenty of other wingers but not really any like for like. Nowell's a one off and cue age old debate about what's his best position anyway.

He's played 12 minutes of international rugby in 27 months. We need to forget all about him unless and until he can prove sustained fitness. If he's fit he's a great bonus to have in a squad but his injury record says that's all he can be, you can't make him central to any plans. Shame but that's the reality.

Muir is an interesting one. He's bigger than the majority of our wing options which makes him a good alternative to Cokanasiga. Totally different types of player, but similar in the sense of offering a more 'powerful' option.
Is Muir really that big? Maybe I've just not been paying attention but he always appeared smaller but hard to take down. According to wiki he is similar in size and weight to May (slightly larger + heavier). His all round game is very good though.

Will Greenwood has posted his uncapped England XV on his instagram story and it's filth:

West,
Capon,
Heyes,
Wells,
Ribbans,
Reid,
Curry,
Dombrandt,
Quirke,
Smith,
Hassell-Collins,
O'Connor,
Northmore,
Sleightholme,
Steward

I think he's good enough to be involved in a tier 2 series, but I don't think he will be
Still only 19 so more likely to be in the u20s
I agree.

Also worth noting Randall is just back to make his first start for Bristol post-injury and Mitchell is back on the bench for Saints.

Robson is also still available and in good form so I'd expect him to start with Randall or Mitchell on the bench.

I'd start Randall in the A game with Mitchell on the bench. If he goes well I'd give him and Robson a start each vs. Canada and USA.

Either way, capturing Randall should be a priority.

Ah yes - excellent point ...

Could be some interesting selection calls. For me, 12 should be between O'Conor and Devoto but with neither available, I don't know who would be worth looking at?

With it being an A game, I wonder whether we'd gamble on Ojomoh or Phil Cokanasiga?

Dan Kelly, maybe?
Depends how Irish he's feeling

Be interesting to see who is at 10 with no Smith/Simmonds - Ford? Umaga? Atkinson?

Latest posts