• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Jamie Blamire (Newcastle)
He's looked class,
McGuigan has looked really good this season too, tbf

U20s 2019 was Capon, Dolly, Barbeary - thought that was a really good crop (though, as I've mentioned before, I question Barbeary as a hooker)

Last year was Theo Dan and Sam Riley - Sarries site is a nightmare to find team lists, on mobile, but doesn't look like Dan is making their 23 in the championship
Ashman was in Scotland's u20 last 6N

Let's be honest, Alfie seems to be allocated to play somewhere in that XV, whether it be 2,6,7,8 or 12

I'll have a think tomorrow about this but at Wasps, Jones will always look at J Willis, Umaga, Atkinson, Robson, Launchbury, Odogwu and Alfie.

Think T Willis is a great shout and plays across backrow and West is a solid scrummager at loosehead. Only other player who could go was Bassett. Consistency is key with him and rarely looks out of form. If you wanted someone to do the hard graft on the wing and make tackles whilst having a knack for scoring, it's him.

He's looked class,
McGuigan has looked really good this season too, tbf

U20s 2019 was Capon, Dolly, Barbeary - thought that was a really good crop (though, as I've mentioned before, I question Barbeary as a hooker)

Last year was Theo Dan and Sam Riley - Sarries site is a nightmare to find team lists, on mobile, but doesn't look like Dan is making their 23 in the championship
Ashman was in Scotland's u20 last 6N
Agreed. Good set piece including reliable, accurate darts, good carrying, hits some really good lines and surprisingly deft hands. I like Blamire a lot.

I like McGuigan too, but I think he's a very good Premiership player who is just short of test quality. TBH, a perfect club player to have in many ways.

Interesting to see Dolly on Tigers' bench last weekend. Not sure if he's signed with them long term?

Interesting to see Dolly on Tigers' bench last weekend. Not sure if he's signed with them long term?
Aye, he signed for them a week or so ago
How has Ashman been for Sale? He was a beast at 20s but his athleticism was probably even more of a boost there.
Very impressive - carries like Akker but has a good lineout too. Hasn't looked out of place at senior level at all

Agreed. Good set piece including reliable, accurate darts, good carrying, hits some really good lines and surprisingly deft hands. I like Blamire a lot.

I like McGuigan too, but I think he's a very good Premiership player who is just short of test quality. TBH, a perfect club player to have in many ways.

Im pretty sure McGuigan played Ireland Ages groups all the way to U20 so i wouldnt be surprised to see Ireland have a look at him. He's developed into a real quality hooker. Good set piece work, aggressive, a good carrier, a leader and puts his head where it hurts.

Edit: He has played England Saxons...didnt realise that,

Blamire is a tremendous prospect. Hes a big aggressive carrier and yet has hands like a Fly Half aswell - hes very creative. He just needs to get his actual lineout sorted. But that will come.
I wouldnt have an issue with him being on the Summer tour. He's defo one to keep an eye on.

I haven't noticed Blamire's lineout throwing being an issue TBH.

McGuigan might regret not having signed for one of the Irish provinces before he got capped by the Saxons. I don't think Rob Herring is anything spectacular and apart from Roman Kelleher, there's not an obvious surplus of quality hookers in Ireland right now.

Akker van der Merwe's son was just born in Manchester

Start the 18yr countdown clock until we can cap him/we can accuse South Africa of poaching him :p

To be honest, spent a lot of the morning thinking about the squad that would travel this morning and what we currently have and who would be Lions players:

England
Definite Lions: T Curry, Itoje, Farrell, Sinckler, Watson, May? Slade?
Potential Lions: George, Mako, Billy, Underhill, Launchbury, Hill, LCD, Lawes, Genge, Daly, Ford

Realistically there aren't many others i would expect to get close.

Premiership Lions (English) Bolters
Marcus Smith, Dombrandt, Simmonds x 2,

Left Over England Players
Forwards: Earl, Ewels, Martin, M Wilson, Obano, Ribbans, Stuart,
Backs: Robson, Mitchell, Youngs, Lawrence, Odogwu, Marchant, Malins

So assuming that we will lose some of those players, it really depends on if Eddie uses this as a completely start again squad/try outs and or tie some players down for England. My 35 man squad (To Be Trimmed) is: (Assuming none of Definite/Potential Go

Loosehead: Genge, Obano, West
Hooker: Dunn, Barbeary, Ewan Ashman/Jamie Blamire
Tighthead: Stuart, Williams, Heyes
Locks: Ribbans, Ewels, Martin, Kopku, Isiekwe
Flankers: T Hill, Earl, Evans, M Wilson
No.8 Simmonds Dombrandt, T Willis

Scrum Half: Robson, Mitchell, Randall (Quirke Optional)
Fly Half: Umaga, Simmonds, Smith (Atkinson/Bailey as optional)
Centres: Lawrence, Odogwu, Marchant, P O'Connor, Devoto
Wingers: OHC, Loader, Thorley, Nowell, McConnochie, Big Joe C
Full Back: Malins, Steward

As a falcon im a huge Mark Wilson fan, but i feel its time to move on from him now in the England set up. Ben Curry would be a good replacement. Id even have a look at our former England U20 captain Callum Chick over Mark now. He's been outstanding at number since hes bulked up this season. All action displays. Someone said he looked like former French number 8 Harinordoquy and i couldnt disagree.

Fly Half: Umaga
Surely he's played himself out of contention by now?

I'd be more interested in Barton (and Atkinson) as a nipper to bring in,
Smith and Simmonds should be the two, though - I don't think there's any need to take (/don't think Eddie will take) more than two 10s on tour, and if he did then it's just taking gametime away from Smith/Simmonds who should be getting as much as humanly possible in the run up to the world cup

I thought exactly the same about Underhill (and America) when I found out he decided he was going to play for England.
How would underhill qualify for the USA when he's English? His dad was in the RAF over there so he'd never be anything other than English.

You come up with some wild comments every now and again.

How would underhill qualify for the USA when he's English? His dad was in the RAF over there so he'd never be anything other than English.

You come up with some wild comments every now and again.
Born there = qualified for there
Same with Ashman and Canada

Neither are American/Canadian, but it's interesting to imagine what would happen if they did play there - like if Heaslip turned out for Israel, or ROG for America

As a falcon im a huge Mark Wilson fan, but i feel its time to move on from him now in the England set up. Ben Curry would be a good replacement. Id even have a look at our former England U20 captain Callum Chick over Mark now. He's been outstanding at number since hes bulked up this season. All action displays. Someone said he looked like former French number 8 Harinordoquy and i couldnt disagree.
Agreed. But while this is a development tour, I think that the youngsters would benefit most - on and off the pitch - if this is still a recognisable Eng set up. Older heads like Wilson, Joseph and Nowell can have an important part to play in helping integrate / develop the next generation. Similarly established squad players like Genge, Stuart and Ewels.

Born on a RAF base i assumed would be counted as English (if that makes sense).

I didn't know about his dad to be fair. Not sure what the rules on that would be I just assumed as he was born there he qualified. Obviously was just saying it in jest anyway.

Actually, it's a bit like Moriarty isn't it. Born in England to a Welsh dad but grew up in Wales. Underhill born in another country other than England to an English father but grew up in England.

I assume he didn't spend much of his childhood in America?

I didn't know about his dad to be fair. Not sure what the rules on that would be I just assumed as he was born there he qualified. Obviously was just saying it in jest anyway.

Actually, it's a bit like Moriarty isn't it. Born in England to a Welsh dad but grew up in Wales. Underhill born in another country other than England to an English father but grew up in England.

I assume he didn't spend much of his childhood in America?
I think he moved around 10 from memory (I only know as I read something about him a few days ago).

I get it was in jest and I enjoy your mild valley commando approach. It's good.
Really odd though that two English parents could be on work on the USA in the RAF (do our bases count as English soil? ) and then their son be qualified for the USA.

If Underhill had played age grade rugby for USA I wouldn't have wanted him for England though.

Latest posts