• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Blues - Chiefs in Albany (02/06/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

North Harbour Stadium, Albany
Blues.png
Versus%20Super.png
Chiefs.png

Referee: Chris Pollock
Assistant Ref 1: Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 2: Nick Briant
TMO: Ben Skeen

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Blues [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Chiefs [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

It's Monday and I have a day off. So that's why ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Next week you can do them haha. I was just bored today ;)

Besides that... I had to show you how it should be done haha.

well I hope this is not the game the giant awakes from his slumber. hope the chiefs pick up the easy 5 points here but the longer the season goes and the greater the blues woes grow it just may be the more dangerous they can get. I think last weekend the blues showed they can be a stumbling post when they rushed back at the highlanders who were lucky to hold them off in the end.

Interesting now Lam has come out in awe of the chiefs coaching setup with 4 full time coaches compared to his 2.5 coaches at the blues.

Though this could be seen as a potential stumbling block for the Chiefs, I can't really see them losing this game. The Blues really have been decimated with injury, and I'm not sure whether they have the fire-power to pull off the upset. If I was Pat Lam I'd go with a lineup of: Woodcock, Parsons, Mailau, Moli, Luatua, L Braid, Polwart/D Braid, P Saili, Weepu, Hobbs, Raikuna, Nonu, F Saili, Ranger (if back from suspension? otherwise Stowers), Wulf (if fit, otherwise....???) - might as well give the youngsters (Moli, Luatua, Polwart, F Saili etc) as much of as opportunity as possible.

As for the Chiefs I'd expect them to name a very similar lineup to last week, though there is great competition in a number of positions:

Loose-head prop: I'd stick with Toby Smith, though Taumalolo is also an excellent option.
Hooker: Again a 50/50 call between Elliot and Schwalger in my opinion. I'd go with Schwalger simple he is the better scrummager, which is one area where the Blues may have a slight edge.
Tight-head prop: Afeaki was superb last week after missing so much time with injury, but Tameifuna has had a great season. Not sure who I'd go with here - Afeaki has a much better work-rate, but Tameifuna may have the edge at scrum time.
Openside: I'd continue to start Latimer, and bring Cane of the bench for impact with 30 to go, though I wouldn't mind if Cane starts.
Halfback: Again a 50/50 call in my opinion between Leonard and Kerr-Barlow, I'd go Kerr-Barlow to start, but would give Leonard a good 20-30 mins off the bench (unlike last week when he sat on the bench for the whole game I think).
It must be a wonderful position for the Chiefs coaches having to choose which form players to leave out!

The best thing is that the Chiefs are probably going to lose very few players next year. SBW will probably stay, Taumalolo looks to be off, and a couple of guys like Waldrom may look elsewhere because of a lack of game time, but the majority of the team is sticking around.

is there good parking at north harbor stadium? what's the best way to get there from south of the bridge?

never been there but would be cool to get to this game, shame it's not at eden park.

There's a bus station (Albany) right by the stadium, I'd recommend that if you want to go watch. If you aren't keen to bus, then yeah, parking should be sweet - especially as there won't be much support for the team in blue :p Harbour is a great stadium, and it's got good parking etc.

The best thing is that the Chiefs are probably going to lose very few players next year. SBW will probably stay, Taumalolo looks to be off, and a couple of guys like Waldrom may look elsewhere because of a lack of game time, but the majority of the team is sticking around.

a number of players in the chiefs squad who will be looking for more game time or just may be unwanted, going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

Waldrum is the obvious one he's too good a player to be watching from the stands infact if he's not been wanted so far it's a surprise he has not bee released by the club already. Then you also have Fritz Lee who finds himself 3rd in line for #8 and Romona Graham who has gone from being a player to a lineout analyzer and basically had no gametime at all.

All three guys would be of interest to who ever the new blues coach is I guess.

Then there is Pulu who's looked really impressive maybe too good to be in the wider training group... And also the fact that Horrell has burst onto the scene and pushed Robbie to the pine after he moved from the highlanders to get more gametime...

Any news on where Sona will be heading next season?

Taumalolo is off to Perpignan :)

Analysing the current squad, there are a few players who have only had bit parts this season who may hunger for more game time elsewhere...

Afeaki - Injured for a long time, but an almost automatic selection when fit. Safe.
Bradley - Had a few good game, the first in a number of solid loose forwards we have. One of the older team members. Probably safe.
Cane - Made good impact off the bench, the long term successor to Latimer (and hopefully McCaw). Safe.
Clarke - Very busy season. A great Super Rugby player, and now signed on for an extra year. Safe.
Cleaver - Only played a bit part early on when our propping stocks were down, and looked out of his depth. Only 25, but if any new props make some headway in the ITMC he could be out of luck. Possibly safe.
Cruden - Fantastic, signed on for a few seasons. Safe.
Elliot - With Schwalger likely to slow down in the next season or two, Elliot is our future long term hooker. Safe.
Fitzgerald - Typically the reserve lock, wasn't particularly good when he started against the Lions, but hasn't had much opportunity to impress. Probably safe.
Graham - Suspended for the early part of the season, and a bit of a loose cannon. A decent player otherwise, will have to prove himself again at ITMC level this year to guarantee selection. Probably safe.
Horrell - Great reserve first five/fullback, one of the best under-hyped signings of the year. Safe.
Kahui - Safe.
Kerr-Barlow - Will continue to benefit from the battle between him and Leonard. Safe.
Latimer - Having his best season for a wee while, will continue to hold that 7 jersey, or at worst 19. Safe.
Lee - The Blues will need a No. 8 next season, Lee could move north due to not getting any game time since the first round. Unsafe.
Leonard - Should stay on as the old head halfback, at least for another couple of seasons. Probably safe.
Masaga - Safe.
Messam - Signed on for another few years. Safe.
Nanai-Williams - Out with an injury at the moment, but should get back that 11/22 jersey once he recovers. Safe.
Nemani - A young player who will be happy to stay providing he gets picked, though will need to play for HB in the ITM Cup. Safe.
O'Donnell - In a similar boat to Nemani. Safe.
Retallick - Safe.
Robinson - Fallen out of favour a bit after his injury, but looks far better at the Chiefs than he did at the Highlanders. Handy bench player/15. Safe.
Schwalger - If he wants to keep playing, I see no reason for him to not be selected. Safe.
Smith - Our premier loose head. Safe.
Tameifuna - Developed well this year with lots of game time. We will probably see a bit of rotation of the props next year, similar to what the Crusaders do (assuming there aren't going to be two props on the bench). Safe.
Taumalolo - Signed with Perpignan, but has been a good player for the Chiefs. Gone.
Thomson - Same situation as Schwalger. Safe.
Tikoirotuma - Played pretty well in his games so far. Safe.
Waldrom - Likely to not be happy with his lack of game time. Too good a player to not be in a match day 22. Will probably look elsewhere for next season (Highlanders/overseas). Unsafe.
Willison - Good back up centre. Safe.
Williams - Who knows, hopefully stays with the Chiefs, I think he will. Probably safe.

Hohneck - Had a few games when Afeaki and Smith were injured, will probably be brought into the full squad next season. Safe.
Pulu - Looked good in his few games. The nature of the competition means three halfbacks is almost a necessity, but could be enticed north if Weepu leaves the Blues. Probably safe.

Thanks for the insight, help us less educated and currently disadvantaged individuals greatly
Thumbs up!

Then I do hope that Sona before he leaves becomes the top try scorer this season :)

News in this morning is that Schwalger has signed on for another two years :)

Blues: Tony Woodcock, James Parsons, Tevita Mailau, Liaki Moli, Ali Williams, Steven Luatua, Daniel Braid, Luke Braid (c), Alby Mathewson, Michael Hobbs, Rene Ranger, Ma'a Nonu, Francis Saili, Lachie Munro, Rudi Wulf.
Reserves: Tom McCartney, Angus Ta'avao, Filo Paulo, Peter Saili, Piri Weepu, Hadleigh Parkes, David Raikuna.

Good to Wulf back, with Luatua and Francis Saili getting some more gametime.

Chiefs team announced - funnily enough a number of players I listed above as potentially not wanting to stay due to a lack of game time are now going to get an opportunity to play:

Taumalolo, Schwalger, Afeaki, Fitzgerald, Retallick, Messam (C), Cane, Thompson, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Tikoirotuma, Williams, Willison, Nemani, Horrell
Elliot, Tameifuna, Graham, Waldrom, Leonard, Robinson, MasagaLatimer and Clarke are out with short term injuries.

Last edited:

Latest posts