• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Blues - Chiefs in Albany (02/06/2012)

Interestingly, this will be the first time Nonu and Williams have lined up opposite one another, in the four times their teams have played in the last two seasons. Also of note, is that both players are no playing for different teams than last year!

Chiefs team announced - funnily enough a number of players I listed above as potentially not wanting to stay due to a lack of game time are now going to get an opportunity to play:

Taumalolo, Schwalger, Afeaki, Fitzgerald, Retallick, Messam (C), Cane, Thompson, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Tikoirotuma, Williams, Willison, Nemani, Horrell
Elliot, Tameifuna, Graham, Waldrom, Leonard, Robinson, MasagaLatimer and Clarke are out with short term injuries.

A few interesting changes. Clarke is a big loss, though it will be good to see Fitzgerald get another start - he looked a little overeager in his first start, so hopefully he is a bit calmer this time. Quite looking forward to seeing Nemani get a full game - he's got a lot of potential, but he is going to be tested against Rene Ranger!

Blues: Tony Woodcock, James Parsons, Tevita Mailau, Liaki Moli, Ali Williams, Steven Luatua, Daniel Braid, Luke Braid (c), Alby Mathewson, Michael Hobbs, Rene Ranger, Ma'a Nonu, Francis Saili, Lachie Munro, Rudi Wulf.
Reserves: Tom McCartney, Angus Ta'avao, Filo Paulo, Peter Saili, Piri Weepu, Hadleigh Parkes, David Raikuna.

Good to Wulf back, with Luatua and Francis Saili getting some more gametime.

don't like Michael Hobbs though, he's horrible imo, is Anscombe injured? coz he isn't even on the bench. Have they really put Wulf at fullback and Munro on the Wing? I don't understand why they wouldn't have it the other way around, Munro is usually a fullback/first five and he has a good kicking game, Wulf is usually a wing and I don't think he has any kicking game. If the Blues get wasted again by the Chiefs I will be so embarrassed, but unfortunately it looks very likely

Wulf has a decent kicking game, and is much better defensively than Munro. Anscombe is out for six weeks.

Come on Chiefs :D Wouldn't mind racking up another sixty odd points like we did a few seasons ago (though I'd prefer if we didn't concede as many tries as that game!).

Horrell is out with an injury now, so Robinson moves into the starting lineup and TNW comes into the reserves. Let's hope Robinson plays like he did in the last Chiefs v Blues match!

Horrell is out with an injury now, so Robinson moves into the starting lineup and TNW comes into the reserves. Let's hope Robinson plays like he did in the last Chiefs v Blues match!
Horrell is a bit of a loss for the Chiefs. Surprised to see Nanai-Williams - I thought he was still struggling with a groin injury (if not, why isn't he starting?).

TNW likely not 100% but can still play I guess, hope he's not needed for more than 10min or so.

TNW likely not 100% but can still play I guess, hope he's not needed for more than 10min or so.

I can only assume that was their logic, though I think it was flawed for two reasons:
(a) in my opinion if you are on the bench you should be fit enough to play 80 mins, as you never know when you will be required
(b) if they consider him fit enough to play 20-30 minutes off the bench, why wasn't he on the bench to start with?

He's probably just less match fit - I think he's only played a game of club rugby or something.

It's on, gooo Chiefs :)!!!!!!!

Did Cruden just tackle Nonu ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha.... Nemani > Ranger

Good try by Saili, but a weak tackle by Cruden

EDIT: Now a good reply by the Chiefs from a good Cruden kick.

Last edited:
Argh... pass with two hands SBW you muppet....

EDIT: Great finish by SBW there... all is forgiven ;)

Last edited:
Stupid tackle there by Luatua (who has been playing really well otherwise!) - deserved the yellow card.

Nemani is looking very dangerous on the wing.... EDIT: as I say that he has just got a yellow card (which probably should have been red!).

Good try by Munro, well setup by Ranger. Brilliant conversion by Munro makes it 20 all at half-time.

Last edited:
Pass for the Munro try looked forward. Good to see the Blues being competitive this week though.

Fun to watch for sure! And very unexpected to see the Chiefs defense half asleep.

Latest posts