• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15 : Chiefs vs Crusaders. Maclean Park (9/3/2012 06:35 GMT)

great result for the chiefs, I could sense a win was on the cards. really reinforces what I've been thinking that the player and coaching changes that have happened over the off season have evened up the NZ conference to the point where really no result is assured because any team has the ability to beat any other and the fact the highlanders and canes and blues all won games outside the NZ conference I think in a way settles the argument about what the strongest conference is that's heated up in the media recently.

Not sure it's a good thing overall for NZ with the makeup of the competition because it's going to be damn hard for any nz team to win a large amount of their local conference games. And that will be the difference between playing a super15 final at home or away points are going to be spread out more over the 5 teams rather than having one or two teams being clear strongest in the conference. Plus the physical factor and mental fatigue of just simply having more hard close games.

The Key for the chiefs right now has a lot to do with the guys that have had to step up due to injuries. That have done a fantastic job. Very much reminds me of 2009 when the chiefs lost Front line props and James McGougan stepped in and played so well I think he earned himself a Jnr all black selection - shame he's been stuck in rugby wilderness since then.

But both the chiefs props have stepped up and really they out performed the crusaders front row which sports 4 All Black props no less. Compared to 0 in the chiefs. The worry for the chiefs front row is that their last guy on the bench doesn't look up for super rugby. he came on in the 2nd half got pushed around in the scrum gave away a couple of penalties and was subbed off again before the end of the game.

Another good game for barlow and the 2nd week in a row he's out performed and opposition All Black halfback.

Messam also who's coming up with a lot of high quality work and very little errors and again proved how deadly he can be in the pick and go when his team is going forward - he looks really light on his feet this year but still very accurate and powerful. And as with Craig Clark again this is the best he's been but the key really for the chiefs has been Brodie Retallick. He'd have to be one of the form locks in NZ right now - can't say the whole comp because I miss a lot of games outside NZ teams. But one thing the Chiefs have always lacked is a world class lock and this kid looks the business.

Backs all round were pretty good but mostly good to see an improved performance from Kahui, he had an excellent game. His defence has been awesomem at one point he made a brilliant cover tackle and the crusaders recycled and kahui made the next tackle as well which was pretty much a try saver. One of those "how the heck did he do that" momments.

For the crusaders, overall they were pretty good after all thought the chiefs were the better team they could have easily won the match. Read was very impressive and his efforts deserved a win. Again Matt Todd was quiet and so was George Whitelock, I'm sure both got through a lot of tackles but with the amount of ball the chiefs forwards got over the advantage line kinda suggests that these two may have been overwhelmed somewhat. Crusaders back three looked dangerous, Guildford looked like a handful and caused the chiefs some trouble - crusaders midfield was very quiet. Though Fruen scored a try it was all from work I think Kieran Read did and the rest of the time Kahui again showed that he is the one guy who can keep Fruen at bay. Maitland was impressive - good Hamilton lad, dammit he should be playing for the chiefs.

Last edited:

Latest posts