• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League 2007 - official thread

well done Catalans - they deserved the win at Hull really, pretty exciting first full weekend close results all round....that attack by Latu against Hull KR was ridiculous though, hope he gets taken out by someone next time he tries that crap... great first half for Solomona for Bradford against Huddersfield - beautiful chip kick by him that was collected for a try plus rumbled over for one himself...definitely some old fashioned winter RL this weekend - especially at Wigan.

indeed - first half was pretty bad at wigan though it got better in the second when the snow stopped.

No they haven't looked like scoring many points at all. They will pick up and they do have a lot of injuries at the moment (as do we) but they will be there or there abouts.

Sunday, 18 February 2007
Engage Super League
Huddersfield 10-17 Hull K R
Wakefield 29-22 St Helens
Warrington 20-36 Bradford

Saturday, 17 February 2007
Engage Super League
Catalans Dragons 16-18 Wigan
Harlequins RL 18-18 Salford

other than the BBC website that has live radio broadcasts sometimes - are there any other places on the web with online radio broadcasts of SL games that would be feasible with dialup internet?

anyway i've had a look around and it seems i'll get pretty decent coverage of SL and British RL if i can access all the local BBC radio sites...

anyway the less said about the Wakefield game the better - truly awful defence, ill-discipline and complacency by Saints after being well up at halftime.

I'm not too worried yet. Generally speaking we lose at Wakefield every time.

Sunday, 25th February 2007
Hull K R 10-26 Harlequins RL
Wakefield 36-24 Salford
Warrington 25-24 Hull

Saturday, 24 February 2007
Bradford 32-28 Wigan
Catalans Dragons 30-22 Leeds

The only game I saw in full was the Wigan one. A game we'd have probably won if we kept our composure.

But had Ashley Klein been a competent official, wouldn't have had a sniff in. Great game to watch though best live game for a good while in the Super League.

Klien was just as bad for both teams, what about the Bradford knock on that he ignored as we were mounting our comeback, totally threw our momentum. Wigan put a high ball up, the Bradford player dropped it and so did a Wigan player when trying to get the ball. How could you miss two knock ons straight after each other. The man is a clown. Missed so much in that game.

Results so far:

Friday:

Wigan 16- 26 Hull KR

Saints 34 - 22 Bradford

Sadly, once again the game will not be the talking point because of that knobhead Terry Newton. Once again, he has assaulted one of our players, and although Wilkin is far from whiter than white it was a cowardly assault. Gobshite. Hopefully he will get another big ban but it wasn't as bad as the incidents at the Jamie Jones Buchannan 2 years ago.

It's a shame because in the first 25 - 30 minutes our game was about as perfect as you're going to get. Absolutely top drawer, I don't think much of Bradford as a team this season but they were confident, you could tell that, but they got absolutely slaughtered tonight by James Roby. That boy is some player, and he still has a lot to learn yet as well. He's got bigger but kept the same electric pace which makes him such a nightmare to deal with. He kept getting us over the advantage line with his quick scoots and he is learning the wizardry of Cunningham at a rapid, rapid rate. Best youngster on Earth? I think so.

Our ball handling was superb today. We kept moving the ball wide and the Bulls couldn't handle it at all. Before they could blink we had raced into a 28 point lead. That's impressive against anyone, let alone the competition's form team. We have been playing a lot of one man rugby this season but not tonight. That was a masterclass. The Gilmour try was absolutely stunning, a fabulous try but then again they were all great tries.

What was a bit worrying was the way we switched off after that. The try had been coming for a while before it finally arrived, because we weren't completing our sets. Cardinal sin. We kept coughing the ball up and we got punished for it. We were feeling last week a bit just before half time as well, I thought, they were getting over the advantage line. But how much do they depend on Solamona? He's more creative than Deacon or Harris, and that's not good for the Bulls which is why their good start to the season doesn't worry me too much.

Second half was much more of an arm wrestle. It was great to see Tyrer notch up a try, it was a great dummy and step from Wilkin to put him away and it was well finished. He has come on an awful lot since he made his debut last season when he was getting mashed all over the place. He does look very, very promising and to boot, he's a goalkicker. I doubt the team will be arranged in the way it is at the moment for too long unless the injuries persist but from what I have seen so far... we're becoming a bit of a production line. And unlike the mutants over the lump, our kids play for us, not Huddersfield, Salford, Leigh and Widnes.

The final score did flatter them a lot I think, I thought we were much better than them overall and not just 12 points. We had to absolutely tackle our plums off and we did well enough, good scrambling defence. Sadly the games just aren't going to get easier and there'll be some bumps and bruises tonight (poor Ade Gardner!) but that was good stuff from the boys tonight and it's a win we should be very, very pleased.

MOM is easy - Roby. Single handedly took Bradford to pieces in the first half.

I watched the last 3 or so minutes of the Bradford/St Helens game.

I got to see Shontayne score so I was happy :D

Hape is one of the best at doing nothing at all but scoring lots of points. He was deathly quiet last night but scored two tries.

excellent - i'll be frequenting this thread for my match reports from now on.

seems like Saints have shrugged off their early season lack of form and are back in business after winning the WCC - great early start to the game against Bradford - as you said Roby was excellent and really seems to have accelerated his development - good to see Tyrer make good on his start, score a try and kick his conversions, thought things slowed down significantly in the second - though that is something I saw last season as well where Saints blew away teams in the opening quarter or half and would then go into cruise control for the rest of the game - which is a tactic that doesn't worry me too much. Good win against a still tough, competitive Bulls team.

Tonight's results:

Wigan 16 - 12 Harlequins RL

Warrington 12 - 48 Saints

Smashing result again, good performance but we can play a lot better than that. First half was a bit scrappy and we gave away some stupid penalties but at the end of the day we have a gear nobody else in the league have, least of all Warrington, who were and are absolutely abysmal. Paul Cullen has got to go if they ever want to make any progress - all he is good at is getting average results with a good set of players.

I always get very nervous before we play Warrington because one day, sooner or later, they are going to beat us, as hard as that might be to comprehend, but every time they look like they might get us at a fragile time we turn round and absolutely cane them. The start of the game was poor from both teams as the Klown punished mistakes and it looked like it was going to be a poor game in which the ultimate TV referee was going to blow the pea out of his whistle. Thankfully he slipped behind Matt Gidley into the background as he took over. I have to hold my hands up and say I couldn't decide for myself whether or not his first was a try, I didn't have a good view of the screen. It was given (BOOOOOOOO! the shock reaction from the Warrington fans) and from that moment on we absolutely controlled the game. Gardner's try was also excellent work and I look forward to seeing that along with Gidley's second on the replay. I know Paul Johnson is a yard dog but that step was still sweet.

The only thing wrong apart from the first five minutes was the last five minutes. We gave them a great sense of hope going into the second half with a bit of comedy defending although to be fair we were shattered at that point and Wire wore us down expertly. However, the first try for them... what a fiasco. Never a try in the memory of man. Again, the fear of losing remained.

Why, I don't know as we came out and gave them a right good going over. As soon as Meli squeezed over early on it was going to be our night, despite Long missing the kick. We pulled them apart way too easily but fair play to Meli who was on the ball enough to scurry over. We had been on the front foot before then, we then started running riot, Gidley completing his hat trick and even Mike Bennett got himself on the scoresheet crashing over to round off an excellent move. When we play this well we're a handful.

The last two tries were a joy, an absolute joy. Pryce's try was hilarious, and how knackered he was after scoring was also comical! And his pass to Wellens for the last try.... stunning. A good night all in all, need to knuckle down at Hull next week as that's going to be tougher than people think.

Latest posts