• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League 2007 - official thread

I like Rugby League and i used to think i keep somewhat in touch, but evidently i'm wrong.
Thanks to the big RL weekend coming up i'm getting into watching the highlights and i went into that programme thinking 3 things: -

1) St. Helens were world champions
2) Wigan were shite
3) Iestyn Harris was a washed up has-been.

But today i saw: -

1) After a GREAT game St. Helens get beaten comfortably (or was that the highlights deceiving me?)
2) Wigan handing out a sound thumping.
3) Iestyn Harris tearing defences apart.

Were my 3 initial thoughts correct and this was just a one-off week, or is this what happens more often than not?

I like Rugby League and i used to think i keep somewhat in touch, but evidently i'm wrong.
Thanks to the big RL weekend coming up i'm getting into watching the highlights and i went into that programme thinking 3 things: -

1) St. Helens were world champions
2) Wigan were shite
3) Iestyn Harris was a washed up has-been.

But today i saw: -

1) After a GREAT game St. Helens get beaten comfortably (or was that the highlights deceiving me?)
2) Wigan handing out a sound thumping.
3) Iestyn Harris tearing defences apart.

Were my 3 initial thoughts correct and this was just a one-off week, or is this what happens more often than not? [/b]
St. Helens don't get beaten comfortably very often, and I don't think Wigan hand out a sound thumping very often either. Iestyn Harris has always been a class player though (in the ESL that is).

I thought Iestyn Harris turned shite when he went to Union...and stayed that way.

1) Off day for an injury hit Saints against the second best tram in Super League who ruthlessly exploited our kids in key areas.

2) **** happens.

3) Very unusual indeed.

1) Off day for an injury hit Saints against the second best tram in Super League who ruthlessly exploited our kids in key areas.

2) **** happens.

3) Very unusual indeed.
[/b]

That's what i initially thought.
Cheers for clearing that up. :D

Results.

Friday, 27 April 2007
Engage Super League
Hull KR 16-28 Huddersfield
Leeds 54-8 Catalans Dragons
Salford 24-50 Wigan

Saturday, 28 April 2007
Engage Super League
Wakefield 18-20 Hull

Sunday, 29 April 2007
Engage Super League
Bradford 36-24 Warrington
Harlequins RL 6-44 St Helens

Why are there more games played on a friday and sunday than on a saturday?

Is it all down to the tv scheduling?

Sunday had been the main day for Rugby League for years, Friday and Saturday are due to TV scheduling but some clubs have found that they get more spectators on a Friday night so play then even when not on TV.

Really?
In union, especially in Wales we hate games on a friday night, coz it's a rush to get to from work, but tv loves it coz its a great slot filler (bbc2 wales). I saturday is how i know match day to be and it's quite surreal to think of sunday being that day for league.
But it's nice, gives you a chance to watch both codes.

I can't remember when games were first allowed to be played on a Sunday but many games started being played on Sundays rather than Saturdays.

About the Friday night, Wigan tend to play every home game on a Friday night and they're averaging around 17,000 fans this year.

17,000?
Those are some great numbers!
Are these the average numbers for most of the big clubs in league?

Ospreys look at an average 12,000.
They'll fill it if it's a euro game or a game against scarlets/cardiff, but other than that it'll range between 10,000 to 12,000.

Well, league must be doing something right!
That would be great to get 17,000 avg. weekly.

From the looks of things Hull K.R. were really looking for a miracle in the weekend just been. I know they haven't been winning much, but to bring on Cooke, when he hasn't even trained with the club in hoe that he can create something is hoping for far too much.
There was a strong case of desperation and naivety amongst the coaching staff there, i believe.

17,000?
Those are some great numbers!
Are these the average numbers for most of the big clubs in league?

Ospreys look at an average 12,000.
They'll fill it if it's a euro game or a game against scarlets/cardiff, but other than that it'll range between 10,000 to 12,000.

Well, league must be doing something right!
That would be great to get 17,000 avg. weekly.
[/b]

Nah, theres only Wigan and Leeds getting those sort of numbers.

Here's a run down of the average home attendances so far this year.

Bradford 12,236
Catalans 8,246
Harlequins 3,555
Huddersfield 6,885
Hull FC 14,517
Hull KR 6,977
Leeds 17,215
St. Helens 9,432
Salford 5,840
Wakefield 7,349
Warrington 11,066
Wigan 17,996

This upcoming weekend of SL:

Friday, 18 May 2007
Engage Super League
Huddersfield v Bradford, 20:00
St Helens v Wakefield, 20:00
Wigan v Hull KR, 20:00

Saturday, 19 May 2007
Engage Super League
Catalans Dragons v Salford, 18:30
Warrington v Harlequins RL, 19:30

Sunday, 20 May 2007
Engage Super League
Hull v Leeds, 15:15

Go Saints!

Friday, 18 May 2007

Engage Super League

Huddersfield 36-12 Bradford
St Helens 34-14 Wakefield
Wigan 10-12 Hull KR

One might say that normal service has been resumed.

not to mention the wakefield jinx has been avoided...way to go KR fighting for survival beating Wigan

My dad's recorded one of those games for me (whichever was on sky) i think it's the Bulls one.
But it's good to see the mutants go down to good old KR.
Those points should help them jump a few places in the league...temporarily, at least.

Saturday, 19 May 2007

Engage Super League

Catalans Dragons 66-6 Salford
Warrington 4-17 Harlequins RL

This evening's results.

Latest posts